Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is one thing I don't like with Amazon. They took away the ability for Calibre to manage collections without hacking the Kindle. And if you have a Kindle with a new firmware, you have to hack it by backing off to a hackable version, hacking it and then updating. If you don't, then you have to manage collections manually on the device.

Sony is the easiest in terms of Calibre managing collections. Kobo is not bad, but it does require the device to be plugged in a second time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo is not bad, but it does require the device to be plugged in a second time.
No it doesn't. And if you see a report that it does, please ask them to talk to me so I can work out what is going wrong.

Setting the series info happens on the next connect.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsjd View Post
Hello

I need some advice on e-ink readers. I usually read on an ipad but want something smaller and lighter.

I need something lightweight as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse.
I use Calibre to store my extensive library(I review and I'm constantly moving books between my ipad and and Calibre)so I'd like something that is easy transfer books to and fro.

I had looked at the Kobo glo, nook glowlight and the kindle paperwhite.

I'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you
Forget the Nook Glowlight. The lighting system is flawed. The STR (the non-lit) version is nice, but if buttons are important to you, I don't recommend it. The buttons are squidgy and hard to press.

A Sony would be a good choice because it is very light, has touch screen and buttons. This will help you if you have arthritis because you will have multiple ways to turn pages. This is something I miss in the Nook STR after using a Sony (and the Nook has buttons but they are pretty bad, especially in the case).

Personally I would recommend waiting until September if you can. Hopefully new models will be released. Perhaps pick up a Nook STR or a Kobo mini to tide you over till then? Both can be had very cheaply at the moment, depending on where you live.

Both the Sony and the Nook work well with Calibre. You can organize books in directory structures on the Nook.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-15-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
pearsjd
pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Thanks everyone. I now have a lot to consider. It's my thumbs that hurt the most so buttons may be out. Thanks again.

Susan
pearsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Wait until the next generation comes out, because right now all of them are the first generation front lit devices. Improvements are bound to come - and soon, I hope.

PS: The PW has shadows at the bottom, and PDF support really sucks on it (huge margins).

Last edited by DSpider; 06-18-2013 at 09:36 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #21
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Why would wifi be restricted in that way? It's bare-bones as a general web browser, but the Kobo browser can access the Calibre content server (and other ebook sources, like Gutenberg, and webmail, and wikipedia, and news sites, etc etc).
You'd have to ask B&N why - it's just the way it is. Now if you root it that might make a difference, I've just never bothered.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
ekco
ekco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I now have a lot to consider. It's my thumbs that hurt the most so buttons may be out. Thanks again.

Susan
I'm going off thread to recommend steroid injections in your thumbs. It has transformed my life since I had mine done and have almost full use again and very little pain.
ekco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot recommend the mini due to it being 5" and most of all, because the firmware is buggy.
I would agree with the firmware being buggy. I had the kobo glo last year and it was buggy. I had to take it back and ended up getting a paperwhite which I love. I recently bought a kobo mini in the sales. As expected it also has bugs but I can live with them because it is not my main reader and it only cost £29.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
ninjadoc
ninjadoc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, kindle touch
If the arthritis is in the base of the thumbs the touch screens can cause some difficulty turning pages.
ninjadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
ninjadoc
ninjadoc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, kindle touch
Quote:

Susan
Actually the buttons may be easier. With the touchscreen you usually hold the device in one hand and touch the side with the thumb. If it hurts at the base of your thumb the repetitive motion flares the arthritis and some screens are less responsive and require multiple touches. Then again I may be odd but that is how I used to turn the pages. I have the kindle touch and get annoyed by the poor response to touch at times. The iPad is better but you can't read it by a pool.
ninjadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjadoc View Post
Actually the buttons may be easier. With the touchscreen you usually hold the device in one hand and touch the side with the thumb. If it hurts at the base of your thumb the repetitive motion flares the arthritis and some screens are less responsive and require multiple touches. Then again I may be odd but that is how I used to turn the pages. I have the kindle touch and get annoyed by the poor response to touch at times. The iPad is better but you can't read it by a pool.
If tapping or swiping the screen hurts the op's fingers they should consider getting a stylus... With a touch screen reader of course Stylus are not much use on buttons.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
have u tried the ipad mini i have both that and kindle fire hd my partner has a kindle fire
i compare the weight and my ipad mini is the lightest weight wise for me

ive used kindle since kindle 2 but find them heavy now my ipad mini is easy for me to hold in its trident case where as the kindle is to heavy even in the same make of case

i havent much strength in hands and get pain in figures when using kindle as the screen seem much slower to respond to tapping or swiping and seem to get hotter quicker

compared to my ipad mini which is easier to hold and operate but u could try a stylus
look on special needs websites for help with your ereader

my trident case has a great grip design or there are others for my ipad mini

and there plenty of apps for the ipad mini or ipad to help with swiping and taping there are
some built in to

think the kindle only reads to u i haven't checked the accessibility options yet.
kindle fire seems to have a slight resistance on its screen when swiping
ipad mini doesn't

both device currently have no screen protector on

Last edited by sian; 07-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
erm u can press the button with stylus this is how i uses it when i cant use my hands! puts stylus in mouth between teeth for grip and presses it when needed

there is away to use and ipad mini to help u or an e reader for that matter but from
a disabled person point of view

long stylus with ipad mini and some imagination is the best way to solve ur problem with
not being able to use presure to press ors swipe on screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
If tapping or swiping the screen hurts the op's fingers they should consider getting a stylus... With a touch screen reader of course Stylus are not much use on buttons.

Last edited by sian; 07-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
have u tried the ipad mini i have both that and kindle fire hd my partner has a kindle fire
i compare the weight and my ipad mini is the lightest weight wise for me

ive used kindle since kindle 2 but find them heavy now my ipad mini is easy for me to hold in its trident case where as the kindle is to heavy even in the same make of case

i havent much strength in hands and get pain in figures when using kindle as the screen seem much slower to respond to tapping or swiping and seem to get hotter quicker

The original poster is looking for an e-ink reader, not a tablet, so the iPad Mini and Kindle Fire aren't usable suggestions.

I get hand pain, too. Have you considered trying an e-ink reader? They're a lot lighter than either the iPad Mini or the Kindle Fire, and they don't heat up at all.

Sony PRS-T2 164 grams
Kobo Glo 185 grams
Kindle Touch 213 grams
Kindle Paperwhite 222 grams

iPad Mini 308 grams
Kindle Fire 395 grams
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #30
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
sian is apparently trying to push the ipad mini on every thread at the moment...

If weight is the main criteria, a 5" reader might be best but the Kobo mini was simply dreadful: unresponsive screen, buggy firmware... There are others but I only know of Chinese makers. You probably do not want the hassle...

My grand-mother has trouble with arthritis on her thumbs. She tried using my PRS-505 last winter and, though it was a bit heavy, she found it best to rest it on her wrist and forearm and use her middle or ring finger to reach the buttons on the right side. It has both buttons there (previous and next). Maybe one of the newer readers offers this possibility? Again, I only know of Chinese models...

The bookeen odyssey has both buttons and touch but you need to use it with both hands to use the buttons (at least I do). Their firmware is not on par with Kobo's or Amazon's but it's still quite good (much better than the Kobo mini). It's a bit fussy about the micro sd card. The main concern is their customer service which is apparently dreadful.

The way the buttons are placed on the PRS-T2 suggest that you need to use them with your left thumb. Not good if you can't move it because of arthritis...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote