Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
alapine
alapine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony digital book 505, Kindle
Netbooks for Sony Software?

Hi! Long time lurker, first time posting -

Is anyone using a 'netbook' (such as a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 or HP Mini 1000 XP) to sync their 505 using the Sony software?

I'm currently running it off of a MacBook with Windows via BootCamp, and am thinking about moving over to a new Mac, but I don't have any other use for Windows and would rather not mess with it again.

Thanks,

A
alapine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
First, welcome to MobileRead.

Let me ask you this: do you use the Sony software to buy ebooks? If the answer is no, then you don't need it. You should go download calibre (it runs on a Mac):

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

It's much more useful software, too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi alapine and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
First, welcome to MobileRead.

Let me ask you this: do you use the Sony software to buy ebooks? If the answer is no, then you don't need it. You should go download calibre (it runs on a Mac):
I love Calibre for its management capabilities but I still rely on the Sony software to transfer files. Calibre can not paginate the files during the transfer while the Sony can.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alapine View Post

Is anyone using a 'netbook' (such as a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 or HP Mini 1000 XP) to sync their 505 using the Sony software?
My mum is still using her old PRS-500, so I use the Sony software to sync her books. I'm running it on a little Lenovo Ideapad without any trouble at all.

Irene
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
ax42
ax42 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Using the Sony software on an Asus EEE PC to buy books (which I then transfer using Calibre). No problems at all other than the fact that the screen is occasionally a bit cramped (1024x600 only). Works perfectly with an external monitor.

ax42
ax42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
RobertPS
RobertPS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DXG, PB 360 plus, Yotaphone 2
I use the Sony software on a Samsung NC10 netbook. Works great.
I also use Calibre on my Imac. Highly recommended.
RobertPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
I use two computers with my 505 one of which is a Dell mini 9. Works great if you don't have too many programs open at the same time.....
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
abuzakour
abuzakour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I have a mac myself and with calibre available for mac, i don't really need to use the sony software.
abuzakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alapine;

I'm currently running it off of a MacBook with Windows via BootCamp, and am thinking about moving over to a new Mac, but I don't have any other use for Windows and would rather not mess with it again.

Thanks,

A
Hi Alapine & welcome to mobileread.

I am using the Sony ebook library with a Dell inspiron mini 9 for the US site for the "freebies"only.

It runs a bit slow often appearing to hang/crash with a "not responding" message in the top bar. I eventually realised that it had not crashed but was presumably just formatting an ebook prior to transfer, it will wake up & complete the transfer.

as others have posted, Calibre is a much better way to organize your library.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
alapine
alapine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony digital book 505, Kindle
Thanks

Thanks to all who replied!

I will check out Calibre - don't know why I hadn't done so before, I was just taking the lazy way and using the sony software.

And good to know the netbooks will work - when I run it on my mac, I get the same "not responding," but really just "working on it" situations, so no shock there.

-A
alapine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Honestly...I wouldn't waste my money on a netbook if you don't need it for ultra-portability. It doesn't seem to be worth it just to transfer files to your reader when you have boot camp/parallells.

For what it's worth - I have a Vaio P and won't be using it for my library.

I have enough problems with keeping it synched to two computers
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
c1yat
c1yat doesn't litterc1yat doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Acer Aspire One - 1Gig Ram and 120Gb HD on XP - runs like lightning with PRS505 and downloads quickly from the net. Even runs outlook / itunes and the software form Sony without freezing which is more than my new desktop can do!
c1yat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi, I use a Dell Mini 9 and run Calibre, the Sony software and Adobe DE without any problems at all.

Dawn

Last edited by PDS; 04-23-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Typo
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Just wanted to report, working just fine on a Lenovo S10e
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote