Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Kindle and Baen Webscriptions

So cool!

Just got my Kindle 3 today. I decided to go to Baen Webscriptions and check on all my books I needed to download again as Mobi. Much to my surprise they have an e-mail to your Kindle option. This just makes things so much easier!

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Just be aware that you'll be paying the wireless fees of 15 cents a megabyte.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Just be aware that you'll be paying the wireless fees of 15 cents a megabyte.
Fees only apply for the 3G network. WiFi has no fees, I believe.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's true. According to Amazon's Kindle User Guide, there are no fees for Wi-Fi delivery of content. I sent my limit to $0.00 and I have the Wi-Fi model, so I'm good.

I do appreciate the warning though. I'm a Kindle newbie and don't want to mess up. I've read, am reading a lot of Mobileread content on the Kindle to keep my act straight.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Take care with Baen's mobi files. Modern books with a ".mobi" extension are fine, but files with a ".prc" extension are using a very old Mobi format which contains no metadata other than the book title. For such books, I'd recommend downloading the ePub version of the book, and converting it to Mobi format using Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take care with Baen's mobi files. Modern books with a ".mobi" extension are fine, but files with a ".prc" extension are using a very old Mobi format which contains no metadata other than the book title. For such books, I'd recommend downloading the ePub version of the book, and converting it to Mobi format using Calibre.
Thanks, Harry. One of the three I downloaded was ".mobi" extension. The other two were ".prc"

I'm looking at "When the People Fell" in .prc right now. It seems to navigate well with a well defined table of contents. What kind of metadata issues might I encounter?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Fees only apply for the 3G network. WiFi has no fees, I believe.
Right, I was referring to 3G. Sorry.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Thanks, Harry. One of the three I downloaded was ".mobi" extension. The other two were ".prc"

I'm looking at "When the People Fell" in .prc right now. It seems to navigate well with a well defined table of contents. What kind of metadata issues might I encounter?
On your home page, you may see only the title without an author listed. This can be problematic if you are sorting by author.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
On your home page, you may see only the title without an author listed. This can be problematic if you are sorting by author.
Yes, that's right. No author and also no cover image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain

No Author on the page for either of them, however, do have a (small) cover image.

I've converted the epubs to mobi...and the author now shows up and I have large cover images.

Yay!

Thanks, always good to learn new things. Today has been two big ones:

1. Watch out for old ".prc" files on Baen, convert epub instead, check.
2. use gmail to wirelessly send files to Kindle, check.

Sometime, I'll get to reading.

Dean
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Calibre capability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can Calibre convert Sony Protected ePub books to Amazon protected AWZ books? If I emailed them to Amazon, could Amazon convert them?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Can Calibre convert Sony Protected ePub books to Amazon protected AWZ books? If I emailed them to Amazon, could Amazon convert them?
Nope. You'd need to remove the protection first (it's standard Adobe Adept DRM), then Calibre converts them wonderfully.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain

Quote:
In my case, the books I bought from Baen Webscriptions can be downloaded from them in many different e-Book formats, and without DRM. Baen is really cool.

Dean
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I've been a huge fan of Baen since before I even bought my first e-reader. If it wasn't for http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ I probably would not have gotten into e-reading at all.

That site got me started on so many different series, and now I'm still going to Webscriptions to buy new books by Authors I found there.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
How browseable is webscriptions/baen website with the K3? I get most of my reading from there, and rather curious how well it works.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote