Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #16
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Of course, the best part of all this is that with a Sony firmware updater to unbrick his devices, Igorsk will be able to bring us hacks for the 505!!!
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #17
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think it's way to early to start flaming Sony for things they haven't done yet. I fully expect that the 500 will be supported if it is possible with the hardware that it has.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotb0y View Post
Of course, the best part of all this is that with a Sony firmware updater to unbrick his devices, Igorsk will be able to bring us hacks for the 505!!!
I forgot. Yeah!!!!!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Good news.

I hope they add support for .html, .chm, and .djvu documents at some point. (I won't ask about .wma audio.)

File browsing would be a GREAT add-on. (Alphabetical listings by title and author, plus date annoy me. I've been using directories since the commodore 64, and I don't want to change.) File browsing would also let me open files that do not end in a known extension that I want to read - .m, .c, or .cpp for example. If I browse to a source code file called "fractal.m" I should be able to select it, and have the reader ask me what format to pretend it is. I select text. Then I can read it. (I just spent 30 minutes creating .txt copies of my .m MatLab source code files, and to renaming them to group them by title.)

Once file browsing is added, the ability to turn off the wait (while it loads the database with books) would also be welcome.

Dare I ask about the ability to copy or move files between the 2 memory cards and the internal memory?

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Late February was when the first 500 firmware update came out, so I was kinda hoping that the 505's first one would be out in the same range. Good to see some specific info on it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post

Once file browsing is added, the ability to turn off the wait (while it loads the database with books) would also be welcome.

Dare I ask about the ability to copy or move files between the 2 memory cards and the internal memory?

Andy
Don't get your hopes up. If the firmware includes any file management, I would be terribly surprised.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #22
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Don't get your hopes up. If the firmware includes any file management, I would be terribly surprised.
Terribly as in terribly good or terribly bad?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Folks,

I also wanted to point out that David from Sony directly mentioned the great work done by many people on these forums. He specifically mentioned igorsk, Hadrien, and kovidgoyal as some of the people who are making major advancements in what these Sony reader can do.

David said he frequently reads these forums and was actually interviewed by MobileRead sometime ago. I believe Sony takes our input on MobileRead seriously.

Thanks,
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah I notice the occasional sony domain in the list of visitors to libprs500.kovidgoyal.net as well. Now if only SONY would actually advertise these third party tools so that new users become aware of them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
He probably does appreciate Kovid and Igor doing his job for him. One opened the Reader to some nice little features, and the other wrote the converter that Sony never bothered the release.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I recall correctly from the Blogger's Day back in '06 and the Conference Call last October, he was actually the Product Marketing Manager, so his say on design questions may not have been as ... influential as seems to be the assumption here.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #27
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I am extra encouraged to hear that some Sony folks at least look at these forums! Any firmware update at all is more than I expect considering the device does not have a fatal flaw, so great news!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #28
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
He probably does appreciate Kovid and Igor doing his job for him. One opened the Reader to some nice little features, and the other wrote the converter that Sony never bothered the release.
I'm a newbie to ebooks, having just gotten my Sony 505 for Christmas. I know about Kovid's converter but what enhancements has Igor provided (and where do you find them and learn about them)?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm a newbie to ebooks, having just gotten my Sony 505 for Christmas. I know about Kovid's converter but what enhancements has Igor provided (and where do you find them and learn about them)?
Nothing yet for the 505. The enhancements are for the 500 only right now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Basically, igorsk figured out how to replace the firmware, and the rudiments of what to replace it with. That started a flurry of hacking for various purposes (adding a clock display, for example. You can find the gritty details here and here, if you're interested.

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader