Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #106
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-20-2012 at 10:59 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #107
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-18-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: TMI
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #108
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Whooooo....

folks, calm down, please. Personal attacks won't get this any further, on the contrary. Please try to stay as constructive as you both have been until now. We've got technical challenges to solve... and BTW it's more fun to reverse-engineer than to write disgruntled replies.

Get a beer, or two, or five... cheers!
Thanks for the intervention :P, I hate to beat the dead horse, but I hate to have my actions misinterpreted. I was not trying to make a personal attack, but was just defending myself from the interpretation that my corrections and failure to answer questions are "trolling". I also apologize to geekmaster for saying that that the tar exploit was fixed years ago. I admit that was a statement without justification and I'm sorry to lead you down the wrong path.

Now in terms of Kindle news. It seems that the lipc command to change orientation does not work anymore, but the code to change orientation still works. Can someone check this in SSH to double check and then look for a new way to activate rotation? Someone emailed me a while ago saying they managed to rotate the home screen also, but I never got an update from them.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #109
geekmaster

I found a proc buried deep in /sys/ that controlled orientation when you echoed the right value into it. I forgot exactly where. I should have documented my research while poking around the /sys/ tree.

Great... I just did a recursive grep in my /sys/ folder for "orient". After it reported a bunch of "Permission denied" messages it locked up. Even the power button does not work.

I had to do the long reset. It is restarting now...

BTW, I discovered when doing timing tests with
time cp file.xxx /dev/null
that it DELETES the /dev/null device and creates a /dev/nul FILE, resulting in a "device full error". I was comparing large file copy times against large file decompression times, while porting my old memory compression code I use in my windows apps for much faster speed. It is MUCH faster to copy compressed data from the dictionary window in cache than to copy new data from RAM.

Anyway, I was wondering if renaming devices could be useful for MITM code (after a jailbreak) to intercept OTA updates, for example...

@yifanlu: Did you see this? It is what I was referring to as the "other" exploit:
[... secret URL ...]

I was thinking along the lines of an iPod style tethered jailbreak to encapsulate, automate, and hide all the client-server communications cruft behind a pretty GUI interface. Cross-platform for Windows, Mac and Linux (using an SDL framework I already have working), of course.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #110
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Now in terms of Kindle news. It seems that the lipc command to change orientation does not work anymore, but the code to change orientation still works. Can someone check this in SSH to double check and then look for a new way to activate rotation? Someone emailed me a while ago saying they managed to rotate the home screen also, but I never got an update from them.
Orientation change still works for me after update. But I'm using updated lipc code:
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1923855&postcount=41
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #111
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novas
Hi yifanlu,
I try to use your tool to create new update package to kindle touch.
I use it this way ./kindletool create ota2 -dk5w /media/USB_DISK/kindle/install/
but I get this error message:
Cannot read input.
Segmentation fault
What is wrong? Directory /media/USB_DISK/kindle/install/ exist and included install files.
Quote:
Are you sure you want to output to stdout? Try outputting to a file.
I'm experiencing the same here. (Ubuntu Lucid 64-bit). It seems that the argc/argv manipulation in conjunction with optind goes wrong somewhere. In fact, it's trying to read the file "ota2" and aborting for that reason.

I have been fiddling around in create.c, inserting a few debug prints around line 720. Now it looks like this:
Code:
   if(info.version != OTAUpdateV2 && (info.source_revision > UINT32_MAX || info.target_revision > UINT32_MAX))
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "Source/target revision for this update type cannot exceed %u\n", UINT32_MAX);
        goto do_error;
    }

argc -= (optind-1); argv += optind; // next argument

fprintf(stderr, "Skipped %d arguments, argc now %d \n", optind, argc);
fprintf(stderr, "argv[0] is %s\n", argv[0]);
fprintf(stderr, "argv[1] is %s\n", argv[1]);
fprintf(stderr, "argv[2] is %s\n", argv[2]);
argv++;

// input
    if(argc < 1)
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "No input found.\n");
        goto do_error;
    }
And the output is:
Code:
Skipped 3 arguments, argc now 4 
argv[0] is ota2
argv[1] is /tmp/kindle
argv[2] is /tmp/update_test_install.bin
There is clearly something weird happening. Note that incrementing argv once more gets the program to work, but it's still kinda fishy. I guess getopt just doesn't like starting off with optind == -1

PS: Invocation was via command "./kindletool create ota2 -d k5w -d k5g /tmp/kindle /tmp/update_test_install.bin". I would assume that getopt keeps argv[0] (because it thinks its the executable name), while throwing away the options it parsed?

Last edited by ixtab; 01-19-2012 at 06:14 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #112
geekmaster

I have a new jailbreak that does not use MP3 files, and does not use data.tar.gz, and does not require any assistance from a host PC after the exploit package is put onto the kindle USB drive. It uses something that I previously used in 2005 to inject and execute code in WRT54G routers with no firmware modification. It works on both the kindle touch and the k4nt.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #113
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congratulations!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #114
geekmaster

Quote:
Congratulations!
Thanks! Who should be the "backup caretakers" for this until we need it? I sometimes drop out for months at a time when "new data" comes out at my main job...
Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #115
pittapittae
pittapittae began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here it is.

This jailbreak should work with all versions of the Kindle Touch currently available. (5.0.0 - 5.0.3).

Instructions are contained in the archive. Please report back any issues here.
First of all, thank you all for all your time and impressive work on this. Going back on topic, I'm going to use this jailbreak. Two quick questions:
1. Will the jailbreak disable ads on my Kindle? Just to be sure, because I DO NOT want to disable them, since I don't want to cheat Amazon.
2. Is there a way to disable jailbreak (as for example for updating)? Does the jailbreak work in the same way of the previous versions, creating a single file which can then be deleted?

Sorry about the terribly noobish questions, I'm not yet familiar with hacks and so.
pittapittae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #116
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Read the readme file. It's like I can read your mind.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #117
pittapittae
pittapittae began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, thank you, it's quite clear in the 5.0.0 jailbreak, it wasn't (as far as I read it) in the 5.0.3 readme. I'm jailbroken! Or is it just free?

Last edited by pittapittae; 01-22-2012 at 10:48 AM.
pittapittae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #118
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... I forgot to put this in the README... The uninstaller from 5.0.0 also works with the 5.0.3 jailbreak. Or you can simply "rm /etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem".
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #119
ixtab
(offline)

@yifanlu: compiling kindletool on a recent Linux (Ubuntu 11.10) got things going even worse. Even after "patching" the file with my (admittedly hacky) argc "change" that worked with getopt issues on Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 11.10 is simply segfaulting somewhere else (presumably in libtar). strace doesn't reveal anything sensible, except for, well, a segfault. Could you please look into that? (instructions: just try to build and run kindletool on Ubuntu 11.10 using the standard development packages, as outlined in th Wiki). I'm totally clueless
Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #120
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Are you on x86 or x64? Have you tried running the compiled binary?