Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
spinningdoc
spinningdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Non
DRM and future proofing in the UK

I'm planning to buy either a Kindle or a Sony Reader, but I have a couple of questions about DRM and the future.

As I understand it, which ever mainstream store I buy from (and in the UK it's basically Amazon or Waterstones - is that right?) I'm going to get DRM-d, regardless of whether it's mobi or epub.

Sooner or later, my gleaming new reader will get old and die, and I'll have to get another one. If either of those formats are no longer used (it happens, particularly with Sony, or Amazon goes bust and takes its DRM rights with it - remember AOL?), do I lose all my books? How do I avoid this? Or, if I decide I don't want another Kindle, do I lose all my books?

That last possibility in itself has me worried.

And as a side issue, for UK people: what's epub availability like, realistically?
spinningdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If it were me, I'd gamble on the Sony (and have done so). I look at it this way: ePub is used by virtually every device except Amazon's Kindle. So if Sony goes out of business, I can read my ePub books on another device. No one else uses Amazon's DRMed format.

Sony uses the least restrictive DRM, the basic one that Kobo also uses.

I think you are less likely to get burned with the Sony than with the Kindle in terms of future proofing, but nothing is 100% sure.

Either device will serve you well.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
spinningdoc
spinningdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Non
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
No one else uses Amazon's DRMed format.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Although, I'm guessing that if Amazon went out of business, DRM stripping applications would proliferate.

Legalities aside - and as a freelance copywriter I thoroughly approve of making customers pay for IPR - I can't actually see the moral problem in removing DRM so a file will open on a different device. It's the equivalent of ripping a CD to play it on a iPod, as far as I can see. (And yes, I know that's technically unlawful too...).

I'm not espousing piracy, just to be clear
spinningdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I agree with rhadin that Sony is your best bet when it comes to future proofing.

On the Kindle matter, you understand it perfectly if you go with Amazon and purchase books from there and you decide to get a different reader you will not be able to read your books on it. However, you can always view them on Kindle 4 PC.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningdoc View Post
As I understand it, which ever mainstream store I buy from (and in the UK it's basically Amazon or Waterstones - is that right?) I'm going to get DRM-d, regardless of whether it's mobi or epub.

Sooner or later, my gleaming new reader will get old and die, and I'll have to get another one. If either of those formats are no longer used (it happens, particularly with Sony, or Amazon goes bust and takes its DRM rights with it - remember AOL?), do I lose all my books? How do I avoid this? Or, if I decide I don't want another Kindle, do I lose all my books?

That last possibility in itself has me worried.

And as a side issue, for UK people: what's epub availability like, realistically?
As well as Amazon and Waterstones, there's also WH Smiths, which I'd consider mainstream.

There are also world-wide speciality stores (SF/Fantasy , Romance), and some long-established general stores (http://www.booksonboard.com/, http://www.fictionwise.com/)

ePub book availability is pretty good. While Amazon does have more, and some exclusives, you probably won't notice much difference.

In the past I've mostly bought from Fictionwise and Baen. More recently from Amazon, and occassionally from other ebook stores.

If you buy DRMed ebooks, eventually you'll get burned. It might not happen this year, next year, or perhaps even for ten years. But it will happen. Unless you make sure you remove the DRM as soon as you buy them, and make good backups of the decrypted books. This applies to both Amazon's DRM and Adobe's DRM.

And if you do remove the DRM, it doesn't much matter (for novel-type books) which format you buy. Once De-DRMed, calibre will convert between formats for you.

Oh - and Apprentice Alf is your friend.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
DRM is a publisher choice -- and many publishers don't hold with it. Go to Calibre Open Books -- from http://www.calibre-ebook.com) where there's a list of non-DRM publishers and indie authors in the building. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As well as Amazon and Waterstones, there's also WH Smiths, which I'd consider mainstream.
Kobo is also in the UK now
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
For best future-proofing on DRM books, I say go with the Sony if you're not planning to immediately strip. Amazon has this inconvenient habit of breaking the necessary tools every so often with software and firmware upgrades and minor file format changes.

Adobe, on the other hand, is less likely to do this, or at least less able to do it as rapidly since I think they'd have to update the ADE SDK for developers in some way and wait for companies to push the new version.

Mind you, it does look like Amazon UK has some of the cheapest pricing for their special sale books, although the ability to use discount coupons on non-Agency books at Kobo might balance that out.

And if you happen to like certain types of genre fiction (mostly romance and sf/fantasy), then the DRM-free availability of ePubs of older, good-quality backlist books as well as occasional new releases from particular no-DRM supporting publishers is quite decent.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
For best future-proofing on DRM books, I say go with the Sony if you're not planning to immediately strip. Amazon has this inconvenient habit of breaking the necessary tools every so often with software and firmware upgrades and minor file format changes.
Plus, there are other brands that also read Adobe DRM, should you get tired of your Sony at some point (Pocketbook for sure is one, and perhaps Onyx, but you'd better cehck with the Onyx Europe representative, who says that for their new large models the screen is Pearl), while in the case of Kindle you are stuck with Kindle.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best way to "future proof" your books is to remove the DRM as soon as you buy them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
spinningdoc

welcome to mobileread ...

I have neither a sony nor a kindle, and I have no problem finding stories to read .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best way to "future proof" your books is to remove the DRM as soon as you buy them.
I'm with Harry on this. Buy the READER for the features it has, and remove the DRM when you buy a book. Conversion between formats is a non-issue, once DRM is out of the way. (and the likelihood of Amazon going out of business any time soon is small. )

I buy books from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Baen, and others. I borrow books from my Provincial Library. The FIRST thing I do is clean them up, then import into Calibre, where I update metadata, etc. to give me an easy to use database of all my books. The Calibre database is backed up regularly, and I am completely confident that I could recover all my books if I ever change readers, or lose the whole house in a fire. DRM is an annoyance, but a minor one. Get the reader you like the feel of, the look of, and that has the features you want. For me, that choice was easy - I have a Kindle 3 3G, and my wife has a Kindle 3 WiFi, and we've given our old Kindle 2's to friends' children.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote