Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Charybdis
Enthusiast
Charybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enough

Device: BeBook
When will an ebook reader support writing a document, and surfing on the internet?

Hello,

what do you think, when can we write and edit a text document on our ebook reader? And when can we surf on the internet with and e-paper based display? will it possible in the near future?

E-paper displays should support much more faster movements, in order to surf on the internet and write a documentum.

But it would be a killer feature.
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The closest thing to that is an Irex Iliad --- or you could get a Newton MessagePad.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can already do it with the Kindle - but I believe it's not a very "slick" process.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
I would wonder if it might not be painfully slow to use an eink device as a word processor and internet browser. And with the price on netbooks like the eee pc and aspire one coming down every day, why not have one of these for that purpose?

and if you can read off an LCD screen without tiring out - you could use it as an ebook reader too (for about the same price as the Sony Reader)
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
E-paper displays should support much more faster movements, in order to surf on the internet and write a documentum.

But it would be a killer feature.
Perhaps if you want those features an table PC is more in line with what you want. Given the nature of eInk as it stands I think we are probably 20 or so years away from that. Or, a new technology may come out that makes it more likely... perhaps some type of holgraphic project type display that doesn't really manipulate atoms. Of course, that sounds like a power sucker.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Charybdis
Enthusiast
Charybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enough

Yes, but e-paper displays don't have background lightning, so they are good for your eyes.

And if you could write and edit documents with your device, then every school could switch from hardcover books to e-paper based devices.

Is it a limit in speed, what e-paper displays can achieve?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eInk displays which operates at "video" reflesh speeds have been demonstrated, but solely as technology demonstrations. They are probably at least 5 years away from commercial manufacture.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Charybdis
Enthusiast

Re,

I am refreshing the thread. What do you think about this topic?
Color E-Paper From Philips That Could Replace Monitors, the Real Thing

I want a display with these features:
1. no background lighting, just like today E-Ink technology, so that it does not hurt the eyes
2. at least 1000 colors
3. video refresh rate (<30ms)
4. at least 10" size
5. under $1000

What do you think, when will it become reality? Because these displays would be much more comfortable, if someone reads/works on computer a lot.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I want a display with these features:
1. no background lighting, just like today E-Ink technology, so that it does not hurt the eyes
2. at least 1000 colors
3. video refresh rate (<30ms)
4. at least 10" size
5. under $1000

What do you think, when will it become reality?
See Multimode Displays from PixelQi due next month!. The Wired article referenced there has a good summary. Projections of delivery schedules are almost always wrong, and the color screens from EInk are delayed until late next year, but next year might be the year of the color reflective or transflective display.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The closest thing to that is an Irex Iliad --- or you could get a Newton MessagePad.

William
Ahem, DR 1000s does it.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Charybdis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Multimode Displays from PixelQi due next month!. The Wired article referenced there has a good summary. Projections of delivery schedules are almost always wrong, and the color screens from EInk are delayed until late next year, but next year might be the year of the color reflective or transflective display.
But it has background lighting if I want video! Same as the LCD screen! Am I wrong?

In short, I would like an e-paper display with video refresh rate and without backlit.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes, you're wrong. It has background lighting if you want color. It can do monochrome video just fine.

Quote:
But it has background lighting if I want video! Same as the LCD screen! Am I wrong?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It has background lighting if you want color.
Yes, but transflective (wikipedia) implies a "mostly reflective" color mode. I don't think the XO-1 had this mode, which presumably has a smaller color gamut than the fully backlit mode. I am really looking forward to prototypes, since I believe Pixel Qi when they say that LCD factories can churn these out once the design is right.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Ahem, DR 1000s does it.
Look at the date of the post you are quoting. The DR1000 did not exist when it was written .
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Charybdis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, you're wrong. It has background lighting if you want color. It can do monochrome video just fine.
WOW, are you sure? In this case it is instant-get for me!

Pixel Qi claims they will ship 10,5" displays for netbooks by the end of 2009.

But is this display only for OLCP child laptops? I want a real netbook or notebook with this display, not a laptop designed for 6-12 years olds.

So is it basically an e-paper with video refresh speed? And if I want color, I press a button or what?