Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Jupit
Jupit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Portuguese dictionary

I'm studying Portuguese and after seeing the Portuguese dictionary at work in the kindle for PC, I decided to finally purchase my first kindle (kindle keyboard).

However, when I attempt to read the same Portuguese text that was working fine in the kindle for PC at my kindle device, I don't seem to be able to use the Portuguese dictionary. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Jupit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To the best of my knowledge, the Kindle Keyboatd only has an English dictionary. It's only the K4 and KT that have the multilingual dictionaries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the Kindle Keyboatd only has an English dictionary. It's only the K4 and KT that have the multilingual dictionaries.
Not necessarily, for example, K3 Kindles sold on amazon.de came with the German dictionary preloaded. However, since Amazon doesn't have a Portuguese or Brazilian website yet, I don't know what their policies are regarding the Portuguese dictionary.

@Jupit: If your Kindle Keyboard is registered to your Amazon account, contact Kindle Customer Service.

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-10-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Not necessarily, for example, K3 Kindles sold on amazon.de came with the German dictionary preloaded. However, since Amazon doesn't have a Portuguese or Brazilian website yet, I don't know what their policies are regarding the Portuguese dictionary.

@Jupit: If your Kindle Keyboard is registered to your Amazon account, contact Amazon Customer Service.
I should have said "Kindles bought on Amazon.com" (or Amazon.co.uk) .

Yes, I agree with the advice, but it's Kindle CS that the OP should contact, not Amazon CS. They are different.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
There have been previous reports of problems using foreign language dictionaries as the default dictionary on a US Kindle - if my memory is accurate - the problem is in the metadata - the kindle doesn't recognize & can't use metadata not in English, and hence won't allow the dictionary to be accessed as a default "look-up" dictionary.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
There have been previous reports of problems using foreign language dictionaries as the default dictionary on a US Kindle - if my memory is accurate - the problem is in the metadata - the kindle doesn't recognize & can't use metadata not in English, and hence won't allow the dictionary to be accessed as a default "look-up" dictionary.
There can certainly be an issue if the metadata language code on the book isn't set correctly. I don't recall any issues with dictionaries themselves (which certainly isn't to say that there aren't any, of course ). In this case, though, given that the OP can use the dictionary lookup on Kindle for PC, the book appears to be set correctly.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
When I sideload Brazilian Portuguese Books the dictionary works fine. I don't know for sure but my kindle 4 got the "Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa" for free, along the English dictionary.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's what I said above. The K4 and KT have multi-lingual dictionaries, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe that the K3 has.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, new iPad,
I bought a German/English dictionary for my Kindle US 2 and I was able to load it from my PC. On the Kindle I could change the default dictionary to German. Later when I bought my Kindle 3 I could repeat the setup without any issues.

I believe the Kindle Touch comes now with German already installed and I hope it will be for the Paperweight the same. This is going to be my next Kindle.
Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There can certainly be an issue if the metadata language code on the book isn't set correctly. I don't recall any issues with dictionaries themselves (which certainly isn't to say that there aren't any, of course ). In this case, though, given that the OP can use the dictionary lookup on Kindle for PC, the book appears to be set correctly.
There were such problems, at least with a couple of dictionaries I purchased from Amazon 3 or so years ago. When I tried them on Kindle Touch, they behaved as if they were for English lookup rather than French or Spanish. Eventually I called Kindle CS and they refunded the price and I was then able to re-purchase the now-fixed editions.

These still work as before on Kindle Keyboard, which is to say language metadata is ignored and you have to manually set the appropriate Default dictionary each time you switch to reading in a different language.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
These still work as before on Kindle Keyboard, which is to say language metadata is ignored and you have to manually set the appropriate Default dictionary each time you switch to reading in a different language.
Yes, that's a difference between the K3 and the K4/KT - the later models will automatically use a dictionary based on the language code of the book, but the K3 doesn't - you have to manually select which dictionary to use.