Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
jmcs1
jmcs1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Is there any way to brighten the screen?

I have just purchased my first E-Reader and am wondering if there is any way to brighten the background. Do all e-readers have this grey background when they are not backlit? I feel like I am reading in a very dark room. It is quite hard on the eyes.
jmcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
jmcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcs1 View Post
I have just purchased my first E-Reader and am wondering if there is any way to brighten the background. Do all e-readers have this grey background when they are not backlit? I feel like I am reading in a very dark room. It is quite hard on the eyes.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a Kobo Touch.
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Yes, they all do. Maybe try reading with a better light source.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
there is no back light on an eink device. they're set up to mimic reading a book not a pc like device with an lcd or similar screen.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
jmcs1

I knew there was no backlight, but I thought the background would be whiter.

I have to admit that so far, I prefer reading on my iphone with the Kindle app, even though the screen is half the size. (The Kindle app responds to touch much better than the Kobo).

We'll see. I will try it for a week and in the meantime check out other readers.
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
the kobo responds fine. if you've never had another ereader then you'll realize that actions aren't instantaneous. they need to refresh, that's why your phone is faster with actions because the lcd doesn't have to refresh.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcs1 View Post
I knew there was no backlight, but I thought the background would be whiter.

I have to admit that so far, I prefer reading on my iphone with the Kindle app, even though the screen is half the size. (The Kindle app responds to touch much better than the Kobo).

We'll see. I will try it for a week and in the meantime check out other readers.
E-ink devices are much more suited for outdoor/bright settings, particularly compared to LCD backlit devices, and will deliver much brighter reading in those types of environments. When in darker environments, like most regular books, a reading light is highly recommended.

The apps on portable phones/computers will definitely respond better than e-ink devices because they are computers and don't have the refresh limitations that e-ink does right now, however, when outside, the picture will be washed out and darkened compared to the e-ink.

each have their strengths and weaknesses, and while I've read my books on my Blackberry app when I have a quick spare moment, I definitely prefer the e-ink device overall.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
jmcs1

What I meant to say was that the Kindle app is much better than the Kobo app for the iphone. The Kobo app is a bit sluggish, and I find the Touch e-reader actually responds better than the Kobo iphone app.

Probably the ideal reader for me would be a ipad, but I like the price of the Touch better.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Apart from the obvious advice about ensuring you have a decent light source -- exactly the same advice as you might have for reading a paper book -- the extra benefit is the ability to ratchet up the font size a notch or two in dimmer conditions.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote