Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
thecyberdeaf
thecyberdeaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Question randomness in series_index prefixed to title

Sorry if I make a new thread, instead of posting in an existing thread, but I'm tearing my hair out.

I'm trying to convince my kindle 4 (the one shipped in italy for 99€, without touch, without keyboard) into organizing my books into collections, with titles re-ordered by series index.

But no matter what I do with the Kindle Collections Plugin and the Metadata Plugboard I get results that are somehow hard to reverse-engineer.

I have several books pulled from baencd at the 5th Imperium.

For example, the only series/collection from that source that I've PARTIALLY managed to "behave" as I wish is the Vorkosigan Saga series. (Which I had to reorder by hand in editing the metadata individually, because Ms. Bujold really likes to make her fans sweat ).

I've ordered 8 books in the "vorkosigan" series/collection as follows:

Vorkosigan [1] Cordelia's Honor
Vorkosigan [2] Young Miles
Vorkosigan [3] Miles, Mystery & Mayhem
Vorkosigan [4] Miles Errant
Vorkosigan [5] Miles, Mutants & Microbes
Vorkosigan [6] Miles in Love
Vorkosigan [7] Cryoburn
Vorkosigan [8] The Vorkosigan Companion

I've set up the metadata plugboard as: {series_index:0>2s|| - }{title} -> title, so I could have them displayed on my kindle as "nn - title"

But, even with extending that piece into other fields such as title_sort, author, author_sort, I keep getting on my kindle ONLY the last three of the list above with the title actually modified by the plugboard... the other 5 titles haven't been affected at all by that plugboard

Could you please help me at least into finding the culprit: it is the kindle itself? or it's the Kindle Collection plugin? Or it's the metadata plugboard's fault?

Otherwise I might as well upload on my kindle the series I want to read and stick a post-it on its back with the correct order I want to read them

Mods, please feel free to move this post in the correct section of the forum, if necessary.

Please accept my pre-emptive apologies for any noobish mistake I might have committed with this post
thecyberdeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
thecyberdeaf
thecyberdeaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Red face oops.

Never mind: in spite of my searching like a crazy, the "Similar Threads" box below rubbed my nose into this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164473

So I tried converting the offending books from PRC (their original format) into mobi and re-uploading them into the kindle.

It works. Exactly as I wanted.

Sorry, I feel something of an utter idiot .

But really, there's no blatant and visible way for anyone using Calibre to see if a book already imported has DRM or not in it. Or there is?

And thanks to Mr. "Deep Cover"
thecyberdeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecyberdeaf View Post
Never mind: in spite of my searching like a crazy, the "Similar Threads"

But really, there's no blatant and visible way for anyone using Calibre to see if a book already imported has DRM or not in it. Or there is?

And thanks to Mr. "Deep Cover"
Well with those title it is easy
Publisher: Baen = No DRM

The Quality Check plugin has a EPUB DRM infestation check.
Kindle books with DRM have there own extension (That is not Mobi, Prc)

Last edited by theducks; 04-03-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: strikout
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kindle books with DRM have there own extension (That is not Mobi, Prc)
Be careful with that. Looking at my Kindle for Android, I have an issue of Analog on there that has DRM and has a PRC extension (with one of those cryptic Amazon MAGZblahblah names).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Be careful with that. Looking at my Kindle for Android, I have an issue of Analog on there that has DRM and has a PRC extension (with one of those cryptic Amazon MAGZblahblah names).
Thanks, I have edited my error.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle4, metadata plugboard, series, series_index, title