Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Smile Any affordable Kobo reader without WIFI?

I was thinking that a Kobo eReader could be a great option, well priced and free of problems.
Because I have read that WiFi unit in Kobo are poorly made.
In there any Kobo eReader on sales without Wifi ?

erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Some of posters (Taming in fact) mentioned better screen quality for
wireless device. Regarding firmware bugs, I'd expect it to be solved
with the very next upgrade. I don't need wifi too, but want 2 things
be perfect (if possible): screen and battery.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Some of posters (Taming in fact) mentioned better screen quality for
wireless device. Regarding firmware bugs, I'd expect it to be solved
with the very next upgrade. I don't need wifi too, but want 2 things
be perfect (if possible): screen and battery.
So why don't kobo make another gadget without Wifi ??
Personally my concerns are battery life, screen, built in dictionary and the ability to read a wide range of text format plus 8 or 16 gray levels
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
I was thinking that a Kobo eReader could be a great option, well priced and free of problems.
Because I have read that WiFi unit in Kobo are poorly made.
In there any Kobo eReader on sales without Wifi ?

Walmart has the original Kobo (no wi-fi) for $98.00 CAD.

http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/E-Readers
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post

You actually might be able to get them cheaper than that, if you can find them; I know that Ottawa area locations were selling them at $78.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
erictoma
Banned

Quote:

Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The change in the cost of the Bill of Materials would be fairly small probably, compared to the cost of maintaining two SKUs in the accounting, manufacturing, and sales/support systems. Don't forget that the firmware would have to be changed as well, another cost to be amortized over the life of the product.

It's much easier just to have the customer not enable and use the wifi feature...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
erictoma
Banned

I looking for its user guide to see if it contains a built in dictionary.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
I looking for its user guide to see if it contains a built in dictionary.
The original does not, the wi-fi does, but only for purchased books, not side-loaded ones.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Awwwww!!! Thanks!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The update to the original will include dictionary support--but, as said earlier, only for kepub books (the ones loaded through sync and with Kobo's version of DRM). Books that are sideloaded via ADE, Calibre, or drag and drop will not use the dictionary.

As for the reliability of the WiFi Kobo--I use both. The WiFi version is no less reliable than the original. If you keep WiFi turned on, it will use more battery juice. Turned off, this is not an issue. At some point (and we are definitely not there yet) I would expect that the WiFi will get updates that the original Kobo will not--if for no other reason than the fact that the WiFi has more processing oomph.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The update to the original will include dictionary support--but, as said earlier, only for kepub books (the ones loaded through sync and with Kobo's version of DRM). Books that are sideloaded via ADE, Calibre, or drag and drop will not use the dictionary.

As for the reliability of the WiFi Kobo--I use both. The WiFi version is no less reliable than the original. If you keep WiFi turned on, it will use more battery juice. Turned off, this is not an issue. At some point (and we are definitely not there yet) I would expect that the WiFi will get updates that the original Kobo will not--if for no other reason than the fact that the WiFi has more processing oomph.
That's a good news !
are you sure the old ones contain a built in dictionary ? do you have a link?

What about free eBooks from Kobo store? Will the dictionary work for them or not?
thanks a lot
Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
That's a good news !
are you sure the old ones contain a built in dictionary ? do you have a link?

What about free eBooks from Kobo store? Will the dictionary work for them or not?
thanks a lot
The original Kobo doesn't have a dictionary...yet. I guess that's coming with the firmware update. This dictionary should work with ANY book downloaded from the Kobo website and loaded through the desktop app.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
The original Kobo doesn't have a dictionary...yet. I guess that's coming with the firmware update. This dictionary should work with ANY book downloaded from the Kobo website and loaded through the desktop app.
wow those news are real
thanks
we have to spread this information
Old 12-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, I am sure the update will have the dictionary--but remember, only for books you buy from Kobo and load onto your reader by syncing (through USB for Kobo-O). I thought it might be hard to navigate to the word I want to look up, but it is not.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote