Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Why I can't read ebook from Nor Cal Digital libary?

When I am trying to open an ebook that I downloaded from Northern California Digital Library (.acsm file) I get an error: Sorry, the file you are attempting to open cannot be opened by Adobe Digital Editions

Adobe has a page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408910.html saying that this is probably a version mismatch and suggesting to "Contact the web site (eBook store or library) from which the eBook was downloaded or purchased."

But how do people view the ebooks from Nor Cal library? Should I find the older version of Adobe DE? What is the practical solution for me?
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well...........welcome to MobileRead, Jerry.

What format is your library book in? If its epub or pdf.......you are out of luck.

The kindle can read mobipocket books from the library, but there is a script that needs to be run.

Let us know.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
What format is your library book in? If its epub or pdf.......you are out of luck.
I believe it's pdf because I was able to download PDF mentioned in .acsm file. But this PDF also doesn't open with the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The kindle can read mobipocket books from the library, but there is a script that needs to be run.

Let us know.
So you are saying that nobody can read ebooks from the library on PC and I have to buy kindle or some other reader? So what is Adobe DE then for? Or it's so buggy that this renders it unusable? I was under impression that I am just missing something...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Assuming that your ADE is activated try redownloading the book. The file may be corrupted. If the second download doesn't work then you may want to be sure that your ADE is activated and then contact the library. You might also try a different book.

This won't get it onto your DX though. If it's a liberated PDF then you're good but if it's a liberated ePub then it will need to be converted. I can't give you directions on how to liberate or link to where the scripts reside but google is your friend.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
There are readers that support ADE *but* on the dedicated devices it appears that you can only have one DRM format at a time. There are more than a few DRM schemes which makes it very confusing for consumers.

If you want to read DRMed PDFs on your DX there are ways to do so but you may want to return the DX (Amazon is wonderful with returns) if you are still within the 30 day window and look at other devices or wait because more are coming out all the time.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you want to read DRMed PDFs on your DX there are ways to do so but you may want to return the DX (Amazon is wonderful with returns) if you are still within the 30 day window and look at other devices or wait because more are coming out all the time.
No, I am only trying to use PC at this point. No dedicated devices yet.

Still confused, how can I read ebooks from the library on PC.

PS: So far this whole area looks very immature to me. I didn't know that Kindle DX can't read DRMed pdfs. So I can't (potentially, if I decide to get one) use DX with library ebooks?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I believe that is the ADE license file containing the encryption key, not the book..you are trying to open the wrong file if you are trying to open a file with the extension .acsm...find the actualy book which will be a PDF/epub or whatever.

Here are some resources which will give you the details to figure it out rather than rehashing it all here before you exhaust the info there:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ACSM
http://califa.lib.overdrive.com/07E4...50/en/Help.htm

I am assuming you have the appropriate reader software installed, as in Adobe Reader or whatever...

EDIT: Here is the Adobe reader software you need installed to read secure ADE PDF/epub books

http://califa.lib.overdrive.com/07E4...Reader-ADE.htm

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-28-2009 at 07:19 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post
No, I am only trying to use PC at this point. No dedicated devices yet.

Still confused, how can I read ebooks from the library on PC.

PS: So far this whole area looks very immature to me. I didn't know that Kindle DX can't read DRMed pdfs. So I can't (potentially, if I decide to get one) use DX with library ebooks?
that is correct...currently Kindle readers cannot read secure PDF's.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I believe that is the ADE license file containing the encryption key, not the book..you are trying to open the wrong file if you are trying to open a file with the extension .acsm...find the actualy book which will be a PDF/epub or whatever.
When I click "Download" on the Nor Cal library page I only get .acsm file. [utl]https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ACSM[/url] seems to say that DE will download pdf itself. And pdf url is mentioned in acsm. I can download it. Regular acrobat says that I have to use DE to read it. DE complains with an error.

And my DE is authenticated.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
When I am trying to open an ebook that I downloaded from Northern California Digital Library (.acsm file) I get an error: Sorry, the file you are attempting to open cannot be opened by Adobe Digital Editions

Adobe has a page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408910.html saying that this is probably a version mismatch and suggesting to "Contact the web site (eBook store or library) from which the eBook was downloaded or purchased."

But how do people view the ebooks from Nor Cal library? Should I find the older version of Adobe DE? What is the practical solution for me?
And is there a reason why you haven't contacted the library, as recommended by Adobe? Think about it-somebody at the library knows what version of Adobe they're using. We don't. Somebody at the library knows whether or not other users have reported problems with this file. We don't.

It's not that we're not willing to help you-it's just that the library's support desk should be better *able* to help you. That doesn't mean they have all the answers (after all, they don't know what you're using any more than we do) but they should be a good first stop.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you activated ADE? This would be the main reason it doesn't work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
And is there a reason why you haven't contacted the library, as recommended by Adobe? Think about it-somebody at the library knows what version of Adobe they're using. We don't. Somebody at the library knows whether or not other users have reported problems with this file. We don't.
I didn't contact the library first because NorCal DL page asks which library you are member of and asks to send an e-mail to this city library. Obviously the local library doesn't deal with ebooks. There must be the central location, which actually runs this NorCal site.

But now I've sent them an email anyways. Will see what they say, if anything.

Last edited by jerrry94087; 12-28-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
When I click "Download" on the Nor Cal library page I only get .acsm file. [utl]https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ACSM[/url] seems to say that DE will download pdf itself. And pdf url is mentioned in acsm. I can download it. Regular acrobat says that I have to use DE to read it. DE complains with an error.

And my DE is authenticated.
Are you just clicking on .acsm file to try to open it? I ask because I'm very new to ADE and I was having trouble opening a free book because I kept clicking on on the book file. I was told to save the book to the desktop and drag and drop the book onto the icon for ADE. Once I did that, it opened just fine.

Sorry, if you already know this but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are you just clicking on .acsm file to try to open it? I ask because I'm very new to ADE and I was having trouble opening a free book because I kept clicking on on the book file. I was told to save the book to the desktop and drag and drop the book onto the icon for ADE. Once I did that, it opened just fine.

Sorry, if you already know this but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Thanks, this did it!
Amazing how Adobe has such bugs, very confusing.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Thanks, this did it!
Amazing how Adobe has such bugs, very confusing.
Yay!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote