Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
I found a book cheaper on Sony than Kindle!

While I love Sony I am always upset how much more expensive the eBook Store is compared to Amazon.com Kindle books. After all the Kindle books requires cell phone connection while Sony only requires a small amount of cheaper bandwidth.

So you can imagine my shock when a book I wanted was only $0.99 I first assumed it was going to be a book with the same title but only 50 pages. So I checked it out at Amazon.com and they wanted $5.00 for the exact same book.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/joh...00000000159706

I am assuming this is an error since it says LIST price is also $0.99 but I'll take it.
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Actually, right now its free........

http://www.amazon.com/History-Napole...4354795&sr=1-1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's a PD title so prices can be all over the place, from Free to what ever someone wants to try and charge. Gutenberg, Manybooks and Google books all have it for download.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Free here as well: http://manybooks.net/titles/lockhartj1757917579-8.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Why do people insist on paying for legally free content?

Direct link to the Project Gutenberg version (with pretty pictures!)

Last edited by thename; 10-07-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: redundancy
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
Wow, I wonder if someone at Amazon.com caught this thread and corrected the pricing. Good to know Sony is once again the most expensive way to purchase digital books.
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thename View Post
Why do people insist on paying for legally free content?
Perhaps because they feel that a well-formatted version is worth paying for? Yes, PG is very good as a source of books, but at the very least it takes, say, half an hour's work to convert a PG book into an acceptable ePub pub. Add many, many hours more to that it you proof-read it and correct the numerous errors that are common in PG books.

Some people may prefer to pay someone else to do all that for them, don't you think?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps because they feel that a well-formatted version is worth paying for? Yes, PG is very good as a source of books, but at the very least it takes, say, half an hour's work to convert a PG book into an acceptable ePub pub. Add many, many hours more to that it you proof-read it and correct the numerous errors that are common in PG books.

Some people may prefer to pay someone else to do all that for them, don't you think?
You're right, of course. And yes, it is a matter of priorities, I would say. I've never had much of an issue with PG's books. The occasional typo? Sure. But layout issues that made me unable to read them? I'm staring at the aforementioned book downloaded as a MOBI with images and an EPUB without. They don't look even 1/4 bad on my PRS-700. Far better than most PDFs books out there.

Now, I love my Tschichold and Bringhurst and will geek out over a beautifully designed book. But would I rather pay $10 for a possibly, maybe better laid-out edition of a public domain book that I will read on a 6" e-ink screen behind a slightly reflective touchscreen instead of a perfectly acceptable version converted from a raw text file? Nope. I'll take the free one any time.

Now, back to my FeedBooks edition of Nyarlathotep.
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
While I love Sony I am always upset how much more expensive the eBook Store is compared to Amazon.com Kindle books. After all the Kindle books requires cell phone connection while Sony only requires a small amount of cheaper bandwidth.
Just a minor correction here - cell phone connection isn't required for downloading Kindle books - but it's a nice convenience where available.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

GOOD POINT! I would gladly pay someone to do this instead of having to do it myself. It may be easy, but I'm just not into conversion, etc. I just want to load my books and read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Just a minor correction here - cell phone connection isn't required for downloading Kindle books - but it's a nice convenience where available.
But the Kindle DOES have to be somewhere with a Wifi connection.....that might be what the OP meant.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I shop around between a few sites and try to find the cheapest prices of books I want. I do buy alot of books from Booksonboard because they usually give you rewards that can be used on your next purchase. Sony books MAY cost more than Amazon, but I get so many books from the library that it offsets that. plus the sony was alot cheaper than the kindle, I figured it would take alot of books to make up for that price difference.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
But the Kindle DOES have to be somewhere with a Wifi connection.....that might be what the OP meant.
No it doesn't. In fact the Kindle doesn't even have WiFi; it has a 3G cellular radio.

You can transfer books to the Kindle via the USB cable, just as you can with the Sony. That is essential, since many places are not within range of the 3G network.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote