Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #46
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I think the OP is right that much of the screen "issues" are in the eye/ mind of the beholder. Amazon is partly to blame because they built this product up to an extreme degree.

I have a PW and I love it.
You were lucky to get a good screen.

I find it pretty unbelievable based on your sample set of one that you can make such a far reaching claim that people are imagining the color blotches. I bought two PWs and one was perfectly fine. The other was terrible and six other people looking at the same defective model clearly noted he massive green patch.

Though people will have varying sensitivities to seeing the color patches, some models including mine were so blatantly colored that it's implausible to say they were imagined, by six adults no less!
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #47
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
You were lucky to get a good screen.

I find it pretty unbelievable based on your sample set of one that you can make such a far reaching claim that people are imagining the color blotches. I bought two PWs and one was perfectly fine. The other was terrible and six other people looking at the same defective model clearly noted he massive green patch.

Though people will have varying sensitivities to seeing the color patches, some models including mine were so blatantly colored that it's implausible to say they were imagined, by six adults no less!
I'm not saying all people were imagining the color blotches. I do believe some had really bad screens.

But, I also believe that some people were influenced by the big bruhaha that arose after the color blotches went public. I fell for it too- you had to see me inspecting my PW screen when I first got it. Then you had people insisting that ALL Paperwhites have blotches and if you can't see the blotches on yours, then you're blind or deluded.

There was a certain amount of hysteria that happened. Yes, some had true problems with the PW. Some bought into the hysteria.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #48
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I would agree with you.

The fact is, this is a new technology, where it might not be possible yet to get a consistently uniform screens in terms of 1) lighting - due to the inherent design of using LED bulbs that cause the mild shadowing effects and 2) coloration - zero to severe coloration patches.

Given that most of us are used to iPads and tablets with very uniform screens (using a different and more mature lighting technology) and e-Ink devices (without lighting) I believe that many of us were expecting the same level of precision and consistency. I doubt that will be achievable and the initial advertising from Amazon promised extreme uniformity.

Obviously, the quality control will improve over time and many people should just calm down and accept that a sample of initial PWs did have defects. Simply put... look at the Amazon website reviews and you will see many give the PW 4 stars or more, whilst a significant minority have complained about the coloration issues.

Based on that sample set, it seems like most people will get either a perfect or acceptable PW, and for those that don't you can always exchange it for a replacement PW. Hope it doesn't put people off getting this device because it has been easily the best ereading device I have used, despite the teething problems in manufacturing.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #49
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Yes, the PW is a nice device. I haven't put it down since I got it. My poor KF HD has been sitting neglected,lol.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #50
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I do wonder if the Paperwhite issues have more to do with the 2 layers of film that Amazon is spraying on the screen, rather than with the lights. Inconsistent spray patterns, or the first layer not dry before the 2nd is sprayed on, maybe?
That's exactly what I meant when I said it's possibly the capacitive touch screen of the Kindle that is causing issues. It makes sense since the Kobo Glo is still using infra red touch screen and therefore has one less layer and it isn't having this type of problem.

Is the capacitive touch screen really that much better than the infra red for Amazon to have risked having two layers on the screen? They obviously thought so but then didn't foresee these discolouration problems. Maybe not an inherent fault in the tech, since there are clearly plenty of very good screens out there, but just something that needs tighter quality control?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #51
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Is the capacitive touch screen really that much better than the infra red for Amazon to have risked having two layers on the screen?
I do have occasional misfires on the page turns on the Kobo Glo, whereas with either of the Paperwhites the page turn taps always worked. On the other hand, the scroll bar that comes up in a TOC on the Paperwhites seemed to be pretty much just for decoration. One swipe/tap/touch/whatever in 20 advanced the scroll bar, so I'm not sold on the capacitive screen as better than IR.

Last edited by NNolan; 11-20-2012 at 08:58 AM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #52
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I only used a Touch for a week or so, last December, then swapped it for a K4NT. I think the screen is not quite as responsive as the PW's, especially when typing, but it could have been that particular unit. I ended up returning it because it froze on me twice - something that not even once happened with the K4NT.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote