Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Apollo
Apollo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Will the iBooks read Adobe DRM ePubs?

There are some books that I want to buy but are specifically listed as Adobe DRM ePubs. Will this work on my iPad? The only references I have found is a list of compatible devices, of which the iPad is not included, but I wanted to ask for confirmation.

Thanks
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
They won't work in the iBooks app since iBooks only supports Apple own drm scheme (Fairplay) but they will work in txtr.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/txtr/id298464404?mt=8

EDIT: oh and of course you could rip the drm (which is pretty easy) and then they'll work in iBooks no problem.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iBooks is an app for the iPhone/iPad. It reads non-DRM ePub and PDF, and Apple DRM ePub files-but won't read Adobe DRM ePubs.

There are other apps available for the iPad that can read various DRM'ed files.
Txtr is one iPhone/iPad app that can read Adobe DRM ePubs.

edit: what deltop said

Last edited by kjk; 08-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Apollo
Apollo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks. I understand now.
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
terrance_teoh
terrance_teoh began at the beginning.

Device: O2 Atom
Hi,

I have tried txtr Apps with Overdrive PDF and ePUB eBooks with DRM.
It does not work yet !

Here is their reply:

----------------

thank your for your inquiry!

> Thanks for your Apps for my iPad !
>
> I activated the Adobe DRM for the txtr Apps on my iPad;
>
> upload my Adobe DRM PDF and ePUB using the txtr website for my account;
>
> but I am still not able to read my ebooks on txtr on my iPad.
>
> My eBooks are from Overdrive Library.
>
> http://www.overdrive.com/
>
> Can you help?

Unfortunately, our app does not support borrowed ebooks yet.

Best regards,

your txtr support team
terrance_teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrance_teoh View Post
I have tried txtr Apps with Overdrive PDF and ePUB eBooks with DRM.
It does not work yet !
It works fine with purchased titles; it's time-limited titles, like library books, that aren't supported.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Crisu
Ultimate BookWorm
Crisu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, iPhone XS
Overdrive has its own app for Apple devices: Overdrive for both reading borrowed books and listening audio books.
Crisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
There are some books that I want to buy but are specifically listed as Adobe DRM ePubs. Will this work on my iPad? The only references I have found is a list of compatible devices, of which the iPad is not included, but I wanted to ask for confirmation.

Thanks
Since this thread is still ongoing, the answer is iBooks never has and never will handle Adobe's DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
Overdrive has its own app for Apple devices: Overdrive for both reading borrowed books and listening audio books.
Bluefire Reader supports Adobe Adept DRM and Adobe's time-limited DRM.

Bluefire is available for iOS and Android.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
You can use Bluefire to read Adobe DRM-ed ebooks.I wander why Adobe didn't produce a Digital Editions app yet. Valentin Bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by valb2953 View Post
I wander why Adobe didn't produce a Digital Editions app yet.
They have no plans to, they spend their development on the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK which they then license out.

The list of licensees can be found here...
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...bile-licensees
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote