Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Not sure if this is Sigil or Calibre ...

... or something else?

The epub file from here:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11428

Displays OK in Calibre as it is when you download it, but if you open it in Sigil and then save it, when you open it in Calibre again it will only show the cover page, not the story content.

Sigil is 0.2.0
Calibre is 0.6.54
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
... or something else?

The epub file from here:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11428

Displays OK in Calibre as it is when you download it, but if you open it in Sigil and then save it, when you open it in Calibre again it will only show the cover page, not the story content.

Sigil is 0.2.0
Calibre is 0.6.54
Works OK for me
(Windows versions)
Changed some butt-ugly file names from within in Sigil and saved.

Opened it with the Calibre viewer, ePub-Reader: Good

You might look at the code view of "your" copy and see if something go mumbled in a Sigil edit
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The individual html files in the epub open OK when you extract them, they just don't display in Calibre. Do you think it might be something to do with the (very) long file names?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The individual html files in the epub open OK when you extract them, they just don't display in Calibre. Do you think it might be something to do with the (very) long file names?
I had no problem opening with the Calibre viewer (opened with...) external, nor after adding to my library.

The file name edit was to cause Sigil to modify the epub file and save (and I really do hate really long names INSIDE a container that identifies the content. "ch01","ded","cred", "cover" work just fine :P )

Valloric
could we get a tool to Rename and sequence# a select grouping of files in the "book browser" , when "multi-select" gets added?
Code:
base_name: ch_
start_from: 1
number_of_places: 2
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

It looks like it probably is the long filenames that is causing it, I've just renamed them in Sigil myself and it displays ok in Calibre. If you still have the original file, can you try it again without renaming them to see if it opens in Calibre then?
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
It looks like it probably is the long filenames that is causing it, I've just renamed them in Sigil myself and it displays ok in Calibre. If you still have the original file, can you try it again without renaming them to see if it opens in Calibre then?
Seems to work fine with those ugly names intact
Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

Sigil is 0.2.0
Calibre is 0.6.54
I did what you said, added it to Calibre (0.6.54), viewed it, everything was fine. I opened it with Sigil (0.2.0), saved it, then opened it with Calibre again and it viewed the same as it did the first time.

I can not recreate the problem. I am using Windows XP sp3.

What OS are you using?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I can not recreate the problem. I am using Windows XP sp3.

What OS are you using?
Same as you.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Same as you.
My only guess is that my path was shorter then your path to the files so the long file names didn't come into play for me.

If I understand correctly you worked around the problem by shortening the file names?

Odd that it doesn't happen more frequently.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Yes, shortening the filenames fixed it. I do have quite a long path to where the ebooks are, I forgot that would affect it too. But the file was in the same place, with the long names, before I opened it in Sigil and it opened in Calibre's viewer OK then. It was only after opening it in Sigil that it stopped working.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes, shortening the filenames fixed it. I do have quite a long path to where the ebooks are, I forgot that would affect it too. But the file was in the same place, with the long names, before I opened it in Sigil and it opened in Calibre's viewer OK then. It was only after opening it in Sigil that it stopped working.
really weird. EPUB is a Zip file without the full path to the original source folder.

BTW XP SP3 here, also.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Long file names are a distinct possibility. Windows handles file paths as a string with a limit of 250 characters. Anything beyond that will cause problems - but without any kind of system warning.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Valloric
could we get a tool to Rename and sequence# a select grouping of files in the "book browser" , when "multi-select" gets added?
I agree, this would be a useful option.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote