Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #136
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
It depends on what zoom size combined with which baseline font size chosen in the source material. For example, in my setting I use a base font size of 11 or 12 but read it using the smallest zoom size on my reader. I also read in conditions I could never read a paperback book in - lower light stuff. When using a diffuse light like the sony glass shield led light, you need a crisper bolder font for your eyes, thus, I use the bold caecilia. If I used the medium zoom, then I wouldn't change from a standard font since it looks beautiful. I just like to not change pages as much as I would reading a PB or HC.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #137
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Hmmm... In previous surveys here at Mobileread, most respondents indicated that they are generally satisfied with the second generation e-ink screens and almost nobody felt they needed higher resolution.

However, the majority of font sample screenshots from this thread show that people like robust letterforms with uniform stroke width and slab serifs (and possibly large font sizes, its unclear if people are showing their normal reading size or are showing larger sizes for easier comparison on-line).

I bet this means that the pixel density and the contrast of the screen aren't yet high enough to be very satisfactory at all or else we could choose more delicate fonts.
Oh, I absolutely agree that the pixel density limits the choices of fonts that look good on e-ink screens. I've gone through about twenty fonts that look great in print, but only a handful work okay on my 505's screen. And it's almost entirely due to the amount of modulation in stroke width (I can't even imagine what a Bodoni would look like on here, nor will I even waste the time attempting it).

I also think it's interesting to see the number of people that seem to love Caecilia for a body font (no doubt due to Amazon's choice of it for the Kindle). Don't get me wrong, it's a nice typeface, but book bodies are not a place I would tend to use it. I think it's more suited towards magazine articles and other shorter form texts. OTOH, Amazon chose it because it is a fairly neutral typeface (tending towards cold, IMHO) that has very little stroke modulation, so it does render pretty well at multiple sizes on low pixel-density e-ink screens.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #138
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
However, the majority of font sample screenshots from this thread show that people like robust letterforms with uniform stroke width and slab serifs (and possibly large font sizes, its unclear if people are showing their normal reading size or are showing larger sizes for easier comparison on-line).

I bet this means that the pixel density and the contrast of the screen aren't yet high enough to be very satisfactory at all or else we could choose more delicate fonts.
I don't think we disagree on this, but I have found that a base size 13 in Georgia works really well for me - and I'm not sure that it's because of lower quality/resolution. I noticed that when reading paperbacks with small print, I'd sit and hold the book closer to my eyes. With the ebook reader, I can hold it in my lap as well, and not feel like I'm squinting slightly. And yes, I did have my eyes tested (thought I needed new glasses), but apparently I have the correct prescription. Even with higher contrast and resolution, I doubt I'd like to go lower than font size 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I also think it's interesting to see the number of people that seem to love Caecilia for a body font (no doubt due to Amazon's choice of it for the Kindle). Don't get me wrong, it's a nice typeface, but book bodies are not a place I would tend to use it. I think it's more suited towards magazine articles and other shorter form texts....
I find Caecilia a bit 'cold' and 'hard' looking as well. It might be nicer for contrast, but it doesn't feel right.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #139
hari
hari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I have created an e pub that uses font's that I have locally installed on the PRS 505 in fonts folder. My epub file has sanskirt text in it and works fine calling my fonts from the font folder. However I was experimenting with embedding the fonts in the epub file, and even when I got it to load properly in Azardi it wouldn't work on Adobe Digital Editions, and also wouldn't work on my 505. Am I to conclude that ADE and the 505 can't use embedded fonts? My method of coding was to use classes and style the classes in my CSS file. I have seen an e pub that worked with ADE that set the fon't in the p tag and that worked. Anyways was just wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if ADE and the 505 don't really support embedded fonts?
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #140
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Embedded fonts work fine in both ADE and the 505. In your stylesheet be sure you reference your fonts by their relative path to the stylesheet. For instance, if I have my stylesheet in my OEBPS directory, and my fonts in OEBPS/fonts, the @font-face src line would be 'src: url(fonts/fontname.otf);'
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #141
hari
hari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Embedded fonts work fine in both ADE and the 505. In your stylesheet be sure you reference your fonts by their relative path to the stylesheet. For instance, if I have my stylesheet in my OEBPS directory, and my fonts in OEBPS/fonts, the @font-face src line would be 'src: url(fonts/fontname.otf);'
Thank you Abecedary, I will try that.

Hari
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #142
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Question

Hello fellers,

does this operation of creating a /font folder in the 505 in any way change the behaviour of the "normal" default fonts for LRFs? Because I have (thanks to the Valorians VERY useful manual) changed my default font to Caecilia (niiiice) and don't want to mess with this...

regards!

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #143
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Hello fellers,

does this operation of creating a /font folder in the 505 in any way change the behaviour of the "normal" default fonts for LRFs? Because I have (thanks to the Valorians VERY useful manual) changed my default font to Caecilia (niiiice) and don't want to mess with this...

regards!

ras
Nope, the fonts in the /fonts folder are only used when explicitly called by a stylesheet or html page. Otherwise, they don't even get touched.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #144
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Nope, the fonts in the /fonts folder are only used when explicitly called by a stylesheet or html page. Otherwise, they don't even get touched.
Thank you!
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #145
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Where does the /Data in:
Code:
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/texgyrecursor-bold.otf);
come from? Is /Data the standard filename for the root of the user-accessible internal storage, or is this a softlink from an Adobe-specific location in the system filespace?

I ask because this would also be useful on other devices, but they may need to use a location other than /Data and perhaps an update by the vendor (or a hacker). See Can the Opus use fonts in ADE/ePub like the 300/505/600/700?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #146
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
/Data is the root of the user accessible file system
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #147
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for a great thread and also all the folks who posted screenshots of the fonts on their Sony readers. Surprisingly (and I might be in the minority), I actually seem to prefer Sony's default Serif font over most of the popular ones. Caecilia while nice and readable seems way to 'wide' and a bit cartoony for my taste. I can see these fonts being a bit easier to read but I prefer the font to look more like the serif fonts you find in novels. I did like the linux-libertine font though.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #148
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Can sum1 change the topic title to include the PRS 300? Because it works for it too! And it's NICE!
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #149
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Ok, I have made a complete change in my position on the default Sony font! Turns out the LRF file I had been reading had an embedded font and wasn't actually the default font. I tried an EPUB with no embedded fonts and disliked the default font quite a bit. It does display very nicely and darkly on the e-ink display but it is harder on the eyes and everything looks too "vertical" and parallel and closely spaced.

I tried Caecilia and I do like it in terms of readability but it still doesn't feel like a book worthy font ( a bit too cartoony). One font I really like is Berling Antiqua (it is the default font for MS Reader) although at smaller sizes it isn't as dark as the default font due to the thinner type.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #150
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Just for comparison, here is a screenshot of on LRF file using a reader that has been flashed with caecilia.

I've got over the quirks of LRF and enjoy the justification of text and speed that epub lacks on the 505.

Theres no ragged right here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rott.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	784.9 KB
ID:	36798  
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts