Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Upper half of the screen blank

Hello,

I've got a big problem with my Reader. Yesterday while I was reading when changing from one page to the other the upper half of the screen tourned blank. Now it shows only some some light shadows.

I tried Softreset and Hardreset - none helped.

Anyone knows this problem? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Fabian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader2.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	12657   Click image for larger version

Name:	reader3.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	12658  
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I know you're not going to like this answer, but it looks like a display controller fault.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Is the failing of the display controler a common problem?

My Reader is still unter warranty but I would some US residant to whom I could send the device and who then sends it to Sony. But the shipping would cost about 100 USD (2x32 EUR).

EDIT: I now saw in the "Similar Threads" some people complaining for the same problem with the Reader but also other devices. (I dont know why I didn't find those threads while searching before starting this thread)

Normally I now would buy a Reader model 505 - wich I was thinking about buying it (but I wanted to sell the 500, so the 505 woulfd cost only a few bucks more ) but now I'm afraid of buying another e-Ink device because I fear that it also breaks after some months.

The Reader costed me in the 10 months that I had it some 45 USD (30 EUR) per month - pricy thing...

Greetings,

Fabian

Last edited by tapf!; 05-07-2008 at 05:34 PM.
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It happens, but I wouldn't call it common. Considering that most of the ones we hear about here are folks who have wandered in because they've had a failure, the incidence must be pretty low because there aren't even all that many of them popping up here.

That's an impression rather than some sort of actual count, but it's a pretty informed one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
ndrake
ndrake began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
My reader just did the same thing this morning. Any idea what it costs to get fixed (if it isn't covered under warranty)?

Nevermind. Just found another post in the forums saying Sony would charge $279. Maybe it is time to upgrade to the 505?

Last edited by ndrake; 05-17-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: found related post
ndrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrake View Post
My reader just did the same thing this morning. Any idea what it costs to get fixed (if it isn't covered under warranty)?

Nevermind. Just found another post in the forums saying Sony would charge $279. Maybe it is time to upgrade to the 505?
Uh... yea.. considering you can buy a new one for less than $279.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Is it the controller or the screen?

I have one with a broken screen (physically) and if it's just a controller issue I wonder if I could find one of these for sale and just buy it and swap out the screen into mine.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote