Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #12496
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Watergate by Thomas Mallon.
A historical novel about the Watergate scandal. It wasn't that long ago was it?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...gate-bumbling/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #12497
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Echoes of Betrayal by Elizabeth Moon

I'm looking forward to this.
And it was very good indeed. But only the third book out of five planned! If they follow the same pattern as the previous books, we won't see book 4 until early 2013, and the last until early 2014!

Ah well, perhaps by then my TBR list will be under control.

Next up: Evil under the Sun by Agatha Christie, her 37th book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #12498
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. Very enjoyable. One of my favourite Vonnegut titles.

I think I'll head off to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere next as well as continuing with The Information by James Gleick.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #12499
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Gor!

I've just used the latest 55% off voucher at Fictionwise to buy a bundle of the first 16 books in the "Gor" series. Yes, I know I should be deeply ashamed of myself .

(I've not logged on at FW for years, and I found that still had a couple of hundred $ microcredit there, so I figured I may as well use it for something.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #12500
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Tucker Teaches the Clockies to Copulate by David Erik Nelson - A novella ebook that was free on Amazon for a couple of days.

A strange, funny little steampunk novella. Dickie Tucker decides to teach the clockies (former Civil War robots) a few things human. Some lessons work out well (learning that doors can either be pushed or pulled), others not so much (horseshoeing and milking cows). The title lessons lead to the real story.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #12501
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Watergate by Thomas Mallon.
A historical novel about the Watergate scandal. It wasn't that long ago was it?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...gate-bumbling/
Scott Simon interviewed Thomas Mallon on NPR this morning.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/25/147262...criminal-minds
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #12502
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
just finished "Kristin Lavransdatter" by Sigrid Undset, 1000 pages in 6 days. My oh my, was that a good piece of literature. I need a little break after I read something really good to let it sink in before I start a new one. Sigh...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #12503
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I just finished reading the second in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series after listening to the first one as an audiobook last week. The writing is nothing special so I enjoyed the audio more than the text, but the series is fun (love Bob!). I'll try and get as many as I can from the library as audiobooks and read the others to fill in the gaps.

Currently reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, the language is wonderful and the imagery of a fig tree as choices in life is a good example:
Quote:
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story.

From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Jay Cee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn’t quite make out.

I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn’t make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Last edited by Synamon; 02-25-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: one, not on
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #12504
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I just finished reading the second in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series after listening to the first on as an audiobook last week. The writing is nothing special so I enjoyed the audio more than the text, but the series is fun (love Bob!). I'll try and get as many as I can from the library as audiobooks and read the others to fill in the gaps.
I'm three quarters of the way through it (Fool Moon), and have enjoyed the book more than the first, though Harry's obstinacy to the point of reckless endangerment is still getting on my nerves. I have given myself the challenge of reading the first three and then deciding whether it is worth reading the rest of the series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #12505
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm three quarters of the way through it (Fool Moon), and have enjoyed the book more than the first, though Harry's obstinacy to the point of reckless endangerment is still getting on my nerves. I have given myself the challenge of reading the first three and then deciding whether it is worth reading the rest of the series.
He's not exactly learning from his mistakes. I'm hopeful that changes as the series goes on and he starts to feel part of something; at the moment he doesn't seem bothered whether he lives or dies, hence the recklessness.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #12506
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
And it was very good indeed. But only the third book out of five planned! If they follow the same pattern as the previous books, we won't see book 4 until early 2013, and the last until early 2014!

Ah well, perhaps by then my TBR list will be under control.
I'm thinking of adding the Paladin's Legacy novels to my TBR list, but wondering if I need to read her Deed of Paksenarrion novels first, since Oath of Fealty (2010) is a sequel to Oath of Gold (1989)?

Or do all of her series follow one after the other?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #12507
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I'm thinking of adding the Paladin's Legacy novels to my TBR list, but wondering if I need to read her Deed of Paksenarrion novels first, since Oath of Fealty (2010) is a sequel to Oath of Gold (1989)?

Or do all of her series follow one after the other?
You should certainly read The Deed of Paksenarrion first (only $6 from Baen) Nearly all the main characters in the later novels appear first in that.

It's not necessary (IMO) to read the prequels before reading the later novels.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #12508
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
He's not exactly learning from his mistakes. I'm hopeful that changes as the series goes on and he starts to feel part of something; at the moment he doesn't seem bothered whether he lives or dies, hence the recklessness.
It does and he does... not that it stops him from getting into trouble. Trouble just seems to find him much more often than he looks for it.

I'll be starting book 7 soon (Dead Beat) and I have to agree with those who said that both the story and writing gets better with every book.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #12509
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just bought "The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke". This book, published by Gollancz in the UK, contains every short story (104 in all) ever published by Clarke, many of which are available here for the first time since the 1930s. An excellent book for "dipping into" by one of the "Grand Masters" of SF.
Added to my wishlist. It does look like a splendid collection.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #12510
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
You should certainly read The Deed of Paksenarrion first (only $6 from Baen) Nearly all the main characters in the later novels appear first in that.

It's not necessary (IMO) to read the prequels before reading the later novels.
Thanks. That's a pretty good deal!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote