Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
esskayel
esskayel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Import complete library and preferences after format?

Hello,

I recently had to format my computer. I thought if I saved my entire Calibre Library folder, that importing them would save my preferences and ratings as they existed when I saved the folder. I do have all of my books, but all of my ratings and some of the metadata are missing. I did not realize until AFTER formatting that Calibre has an option to backup metadata for all books.

I suspect I'm screwed. At this point, is there a way to retrieve my ratings and preferences? Although it will be a major pain, I don't mind downloading metadata again, but it breaks my heart that I can't see which books I've already read and rated.

I apologize if this has already been addressed. I did do a search, but didn't find an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.
esskayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by esskayel View Post
Hello,

I recently had to format my computer. I thought if I saved my entire Calibre Library folder, that importing them would save my preferences and ratings as they existed when I saved the folder. I do have all of my books, but all of my ratings and some of the metadata are missing. I did not realize until AFTER formatting that Calibre has an option to backup metadata for all books.

I suspect I'm screwed. At this point, is there a way to retrieve my ratings and preferences? Although it will be a major pain, I don't mind downloading metadata again, but it breaks my heart that I can't see which books I've already read and rated.

I apologize if this has already been addressed. I did do a search, but didn't find an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.
If you have copied your ENTIRE Library folder to a Backup, you have everything except custom preferences (and plugins).

Just copy the contents of the OLD Library FOLDER to a NEW (empty) FOLDER. Then Right click, the Library Icon and Switch Libraries to the new (recently filled ) folder.

The Backup function, forces the (re-)creation of the Metadata.OPF file within each folder. This is used to reconstruct the Library in event of a DB failure.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
esskayel
esskayel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
That worked PERFECTLY! You have just made my entire day, and saved me HOURS of work! Thank you thank you!

esskayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
Sorry folks, I am not getting it. Where is this library icon? I don't find it.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer View Post
Sorry folks, I am not getting it. Where is this library icon? I don't find it.
(normally)On the Toolbar with the word Library under it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Here you can see it highlighted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	actions.png
Views:	213
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	93177  
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
Thank you folks. Now by default there is a user guide in Calibre Library so the word Library doesn't appear there, instead 1books. I have a huge library so I never try any thing myself, prefer to look stupid instead.

Thanks again. Problem solved.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote