Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
ejmonkey3
ejmonkey3 began at the beginning.

help about reader

hey everyone im new to the forum and i need a little bit of help. im really intrested in getting one of these sony readers. i was hoing for some positive and negative feedback about it. please tell me whats bad and whats good about it from experience. thanks
ejmonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
One interesting bad thing has occured to me during the use of my Reader:

Any dust that gets on the screen appears magically on every page.

(-:

But seriously, it appears that the screen can break under even the slightest bit of pressure.

Other than that, extremely cool device.

Sam Krupa
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, as sammykrupa said, the display is easily the most fragile part of the Reader, but it seems to be more robust than the iLiad's screen. That's probably mostly because it's a smaller screen. I don't feel all that nervous about it, myself (and yes, I have accidentally dropped mine a time or two )

Let's see, positives and drawbacks ... well most of these are going to be pretty subjective, so you'll have to decide for yourself if you like the aspects or not.

The Reader is great for displaying RTF files (but it won't show embedded pix), and it works very nicely with BBeB (Sony's format) files. It will display PDF files, but if they're originally A4 (letter) sized they'll almost certainly be too small to read on the 6" screen. PDF files that are sized to the Reader's screen work well, though depending on who you ask the font may seem a bit "washed out." It doesn't do encrypted PDFs at all. And there are a number of homebrew apps around the forum to aid you with adjusting A4 files to something that displays better on the Reader.

The power usage is very small, I charge mine about every 2 weeks, but that's because I've gotten to where it bothers me if the battery meter doesn't show completely full -- you can usually get a whole month without having to recharge.

The page turn buttons are placed so they're fairly easy to reach left-handed, but not right-handed -- I'd suggest you find a demo device to check this on since everybody's hands are different.

Jumping around within a book is a bit cumbersome, but actually reading one, page by page, front to back, is what the Reader is optimized to do, so it's exceedingly simple and straightforward. The bookmark feature is very nice and easy to use.

Most of the drawbacks, in my opinion, are wrapped up in the PC software, but we're expecting an update to this sometime soon, so it may (ought to) improve with that. Further, you don't really have to use the ConnSoft if you don't want to. There are a growing number of tools to get around even using it, and you can always just put your files directly on an SD Card/Memory Stick and access them that way if you prefer.

Hmmm. Well those are the points off the top my my head, I'm sure others have more to add though.

I really love mine, I pretty much take it everywhere, unless it's somewhere I'm sure I won't have time to read.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
not really that's a pretty good summation. I'd have to agree that the screen isn't as fragile as some people fear. I've dropped mine a few times and it goes with me everywhere mostly it ends up in my back pocket no damage has occured.

My only negative comment is again in line with NatCh in saying that the supplied software is lacking in stability, features and polish. Hopefully these things will be addressed.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that the flat file structure (no sub-folders) is kinda annoying, though the Collections do take some of the edge of it -- of course you have to use the ConnSoft to make collections ....

I find I really don't keep enough books on it for the flat files to make a really difference to me, just the next 10 or so I plan to read.

And of course, it's a lot lighter than most hardback books ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
ejmonkey3
ejmonkey3 began at the beginning.

thank you everyone for the feedback it really does help
ejmonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Adding to what NatCh said, there are a lot of format conversion tools available through the MobileRead Wiki Conversion Tools page.

I have also dropped my Reader with no loss or damage.

The Reader does shut itself off after an hour of inactivity and has a quick turn on that goes directly to the last page you were on.

There is over 90 MB of internal storage even without an add-in card (SD or Memory Stick) so you can carry about 80 - 100 books with you with out an additional card.

It will also play mp3 and acc sound files and display jpeg images. However judging by the amount of posts about these two areas, it is not a well used feature of the Reader.

For me reading on the device is a pleasure. I now read about 25% more books in a week than I did before. The screen, like a beautiful woman, is easy on the eyes.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
jthunt11
jthunt11 began at the beginning.

I have had mine for about a weeks now. I use it every day. The PDF converter posted here works great for what I need.

There are only 2 downsides that I can see. One is page navigation. Getting to the page you are on (I do some of my reading on a PC) takes a few. It would be nice to be able to put in a page number. Also the zoom functions are worthless. You can zoom in but its fixed to one side only. You can't move the zoomed in viewpoint.

All in all. Its exactly what I needed in a ebook reader.

I had a Nokia 770 that I tried to use as a book reader but it just didn't cut it. It was great for internet and movie playing though.
jthunt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthunt11
Also the zoom functions are worthless. You can zoom in but its fixed to one side only. You can't move the zoomed in viewpoint.
The zoom functions are not "worthless" at all for formats such as RTF. They do exactly what you'd expect - retain the current reading position while making the text larger. I tend to format my books for 16pt text, and use "Small" text size in good light, and "Medium" in better light. Works great.

The issue with PDF is that it's a "page based" format, and hence the "zoom" works completely differently. With RTF, etc, all it does is make the text bigger and "re-flow" it for the larger size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
jthunt11
jthunt11 began at the beginning.

Ahh.. I don't read any files except PDFs. So let me rephrase that, Its useless for me.
jthunt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthunt11
Ahh.. I don't read any files except PDFs. So let me rephrase that, Its useless for me.
If you have the Pro version of Acrobat, when you install it, it also installs an other item in the Word menu, that gives you conversion controls. You can proceed in a batch conversion to bring all of your pdfs to rtf. Then you can macro these files to reader format.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote