Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Calibre 0.7.0 Released-USB Sync with iPad

of possible interest to iPad users:

http://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/seven
Quote:
calibre now has an experimental driver for the iPad. If you connect the iPad to your computer with calibre running, it should be detected and you can send books directly to iBooks on the iPad with calibre. The driver works by using iTunes in the background, so you also need to have iTunes installed and your iPad setup in it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Cool!

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Cool!

Lee
Great! Will test this later
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
of possible interest to iPad users:

http://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/seven
Very, very cool. It's time for another donation to Kovid.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I definitely like it! Definitely worth a donation. In addition to supporting the iPad, it has an enhanced interface with support for some really nice filtering. I like the filter by tags and filter by series. For example, I can click on The Dresden Files for series, and it displays all the books that I have that are in the Dresden Files. I can click on the category history and see all my history books. I probably need to take a few days and update the meta data for all my books to take full advantage of this, but this capability is exactly what I've been wanting. I tend to think more in lines of, I'm in the mood for a history book, or let's see what I haven't read yet, rather than remembering specific titles or browsing through a mass of ebooks.

Last edited by pwalker8; 06-05-2010 at 11:39 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
For example, I can click on The Dresden Files for series, and it displays all the books that I have that are in the Dresden Files.
Harry and an iPad... that could get ugly
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Great! Will test this later
No joy just yet the driver in calibre doesn't work unless you have iTunes set to manage files, that option means iTunes creates a second copy of any stuff you put into it so if I add 10gb of video iTunes copies them into the iTunes library.

Instead I have it set so it just links to the files original location.

Because of that I get an error and a transfer can't complete.

My suggestion to them would that be instead of an add to iPad option they do an add to iTunes, Itunes can then be used to add files, this would then also work for iBooks on iPhone when it's out in the summer.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
No joy just yet the driver in calibre doesn't work unless you have iTunes set to manage files, that option means iTunes creates a second copy of any stuff you put into it so if I add 10gb of video iTunes copies them into the iTunes library.
Thats what they say, but have you actually tried it?

Admitedly I was using the beta of Calibre but I added some books to my iPad ok and I don't have the option set to copy files to iTunes.

Can't imagine it has changed for the release version?
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
I can't imagine Apple will let this stand. They're just the types to go and update the entire OS to lock this out. They hate the thought of anyone being able to put anything on their devices without going through them.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well calibre actually uses iTunes in the background to put files no the device, so Apple can't complain.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaize View Post
Thats what they say, but have you actually tried it?

Admitedly I was using the beta of Calibre but I added some books to my iPad ok and I don't have the option set to copy files to iTunes.

Can't imagine it has changed for the release version?
Yes I have tried it and no it doesn't work! Section 2 of the thread in the calibre forums by the guy who wrote the driver states this to be the case.
My thread in that forum has more detail.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well calibre actually uses iTunes in the background to put files no the device, so Apple can't complain.
Dude, haven't you been noticing how little reason they need to dump on an app or technology? They remove iPad apps, for example, for some pretty arbitrary reasons. The other day they removed one they'd previously approved because it used widgets inside the app. Seriously.

I'm thinking the whole idea of sitting something on top of iTunes as an extra layer will go against their control freak tendencies. They obviously can't act directly against an app which doesn't run on iPad, but they certainly can alter iTunes at some point in the future just to screw with you. Hopefully not, I honestly hope I'm wrong since what you are doing is awesome, but I could see them being that control freakish/petty.

Last edited by Spiffy; 06-05-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Dude, haven't you been noticing how little reason they need to dump on an app or technology?
I tend to ignore most Apple related news. Apple and I just have diametrically opposed philosophies on most things.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Yes I have tried it and no it doesn't work! Section 2 of the thread in the calibre forums by the guy who wrote the driver states this to be the case.
My thread in that forum has more detail.
Well, I must be lucky then, because even with 0.7.0 it is still working without that option checked in iTunes.

I know the driver guy said it needed that option to work, that's why I was surprised myself to find it actually working. When i first tried it just to see, and it worked, I presumed at first I must have changed iTunes at some point, but on checking I haven't. That option is still not on.

Last edited by Bluebaize; 06-06-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaize View Post
Well, I must be lucky then, because even with 0.7.0 it is still working without that option checked in iTunes.

I know the driver guy said it needed that option to work, that's why I was surprised myself to find it actually working. When i first tried it just to see, and it worked, I presumed at first I must have changed iTunes at some point, but on checking I haven't. That option is still not on.
pc or mac?

what order do you connect open and transfer everything in?

I'll try exactly what your doing and see if I can replicate.