Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What happened to the keyboard

I guess the keyboard was not real popular, it seems that it has been dropped from the kindle family. Not that there is any love lost between me and the keyboard, since my three died approximately a year ago I am very happy with my paperwhite.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Well, I still use a keyboard model, and am glad that I do. I often use the physical keyboard to search for words within the text. I know that I do that with the screen-based keyboard, but it seems much simpler to do it "for real".

Just my humble o.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see it on the list of kindle offerings, I guess Mike and people can't get a keyboard any more.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I understand it's been discontinued. You can still buy used ones on Amazon for around $60 for WiFi or $90 3G.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All products have a lifecycle. The KK has reached the end of its.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
If number of reviews roughly reflects how well a product has sold, the kindle keyboard is byfar the best-selling kindle device, with almost twice as many reviews as any other kindle eink reader and nearly twice as many reviews as the most reviewed fire model. Last i checked it also had the highest customer rating of any kindle device.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 09-27-2013 at 01:34 AM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard

Personally I was not a fan of the kindle keyboard, never really used the keyboard. I guess that Amazon felt that it needed to move to virtually all touch screen. The kindle basic keeps it from being entirely touch screen.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I really like my Kindle Keyboard. I don't use the keyboard all that often. It is over 2 years old and the batter life seems to be taking a hit, so I'm hoping that Santa will bring me a new Paperwhite in December.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
There does seem to be a general trend away from physical buttons and lights, and towards touch.

We just installed a new laser printer. The old one had a control panel consisting of a few LEDs and buttons, sensibly located on the top of the machine. The new one has a touch screen, mounted on a stalk.

With the old one, I could see the LEDs from almost anywhere in the office. I knew if there was a a paper jam or a printer error, just from peering at the machine from my desk. Now, because the touch screen only faces the front, I've got to get up and go right up the machine to see if it's working.

It's not a big problem, but it does show how design is being influenced by technology rather than the overall user interface.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
There does seem to be a general trend away from physical buttons and lights, and towards touch.
[...]
I guess a big part of this is cost. Display + physical buttons is going to be more expensive than display with touch functionality.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Buttons break. Adding four buttons (two on each side) to turn pages is asking for issues. I miss the page turn buttons too, but I understand why they had to go.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I still love my Kindle 2 and its full keyboard for proof-reading ebooks. It makes it a breeze to take notes for later corrections/modifications. I can get by doing the same thing with an onscreen touch keyboard, but it's certainly more ... unwieldy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
What gets me is the other eInk readers Dont have the speak ability. They are READ ONLY divice which I hate since I need both! My K3 is dying .... hate to go with used.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I still love my Kindle 2 and its full keyboard for proof-reading ebooks. It makes it a breeze to take notes for later corrections/modifications. I can get by doing the same thing with an onscreen touch keyboard, but it's certainly more ... unwieldy.
Interesting - I find that I can type a lot faster on the soft keyboard of the PW than on the rubber keys of the KK, especially given the rather convoluted method of getting at non-alphabetic symbols on the KK.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What gets me is the other eInk readers Dont have the speak ability. They are READ ONLY divice which I hate since I need both! My K3 is dying .... hate to go with used.
The Kindle Touch has TTS.