Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #76
Msan
Enthusiast
Msan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glow, iPad3
where are they actually shipping from? (for us canucks..)
Msan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #77
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by tls View Post
bartveld, I am jealous!

I travelled into London today to buy the Aura from WH Smith. When activating instore I found that unfortunately the screen has a glowing pinprick of light about 1cm from the bottom and in the middle - must have been a flaw in the coating. WHS were kind enough to swap it for another, which had two pinpricks of light. They opened the two more they'd received in and they were the same. In fact the only one that was OK was the demo on display. I ended up leaving without one. Shame because they were scanning at £115.38 and WHS were giving a £5 voucher if you activate instore, so it would have been almost a £10 saving on the RRP!

Is yours OK?
Looks like that answers my question from a few weeks ago:

Looks like Kobo Aura screen is plastic, not glass

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/kobo/aura/525452/

Wondering if it's susceptible to light leakage from pinholes like some other front lit readers?
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #78
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
WHS were giving a £5 voucher if you activate instore
That's very interesting! Is there any interest for WHS if customers activate the device in-store?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #79
tls
Enthusiast
tls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nexys 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
That's very interesting! Is there any interest for WHS if customers activate the device in-store?
It applies to any Kobo device. So the £29 Mini would get £5 off too.
Maybe it's related to the Kobo/WHS partnership - they get commission from sales from devices activated instore? Just a guess.
tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #80
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
When did you preordered it? I'm in Quebec City so I'll cross my fingers
I ordered it the first day of launch, so that would have been August 27th.
evelynne_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #81
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msan View Post
where are they actually shipping from? (for us canucks..)
I'm not 100% sure. My credit card was only charged yesterday, and I received it today. I would suspect that it's shipping from somewhere in Ontario given the speed of delivery.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #82
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
bartveld, I am jealous!

I travelled into London today to buy the Aura from WH Smith. When activating instore I found that unfortunately the screen has a glowing pinprick of light about 1cm from the bottom and in the middle - must have been a flaw in the coating. WHS were kind enough to swap it for another, which had two pinpricks of light. They opened the two more they'd received in and they were the same. In fact the only one that was OK was the demo on display. I ended up leaving without one. Shame because they were scanning at £115.38 and WHS were giving a £5 voucher if you activate instore, so it would have been almost a £10 saving on the RRP!

Is yours OK?
This is what worries me about buying online, and especially from WHSmith. I keep hoping John Lewis gets it as I know with their customer service I would be fine.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #83
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelynne_r View Post
I'm not 100% sure. My credit card was only charged yesterday, and I received it today. I would suspect that it's shipping from somewhere in Ontario given the speed of delivery.
From Toronto
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #84
Msan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
From Toronto
Thanks guys!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #85
evelynne_r

First Impressions

Despite my rant yesterday, and despite having received no shipping notification my Kobo Aura 6 inch ereader was delivered to my door this afternoon. I’ve played with it for a little while and here are my first impressions.

It is a gorgeous device. I really like the industrial design that the screen is flat without a bevel. It makes it feel very tablet like – and avoids messy crumbs being caught! eReaders aren’t normally noted for their look, but I really love what Kobo has done with this. From other reviews I’d seen I’d been concerned about the reflection of light on the screen, but it didn’t seem to be any more noticeable than on the Glo.

The screen is really lovely, too. Comparing it to the Kobo Glo, it’s an incredible difference. You can see some pictures here:

The Kobo Aura is on the left.

and compared to the Kindle Paperwhite (2013 edition)

The Aura’s Comfort Light is warmer to my eyes than the Glo’s and certainly much more even, and in comparison the Glo’s screen seems somewhat muddy. Page turns are the same on both devices. This is hardly surprising, given that they both have the same processor. However, the Aura only does a full refresh each chapter which makes reading smoother than on the Glo which refreshes every six pages. I didn’t notice any ghosting on the Aura at all.

With regards to the new functionality coming with the new devices, I checked out the Pocket integration. It is fantastic. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been saving articles to my Pocket account and they were all there for me on my Kobo Aura when I linked my accounts. Awesome. That is a functionality I will certainly make use of. The multitouch brightness control works well, too.

However, it seems that Kobo’s Beyond the Book still has some ways to go. I downloaded a sample of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit that I have seen used to demo Beyond the Book and did indeed see that some items were indeed underlined. Clicking on these took me to an error page. I think it will be some time before this feature is as fully formed as Amazon’s X-Ray, which was able to import Shelfari data (Shelfari is owned by Amazon)

All in all it’s a lovely little device and looks great.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #86
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
When activating instore I found that unfortunately the screen has a glowing pinprick of light about 1cm from the bottom and in the middle - must have been a flaw in the coating.
Is yours OK?
I've thoroughly and closely searched for pinpricks but no...

Calibre works flawlessly with the Aura; have my 600+ books now on external card.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #87
Msan
Enthusiast

One more question for the folks that received their Aura.. Which shipping company is Kobo using to ship the Aura? CP, UPS, Purolator?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #88
evelynne_r

My Aura arrived by Canadian Post
Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #89
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
All in all it’s a lovely little device and looks great.
Any word yet about being able to take the back cover off and swap out the internal memory, as is possible on the Glo? (I really don't wanna give up my 16GB upgrade...)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #90
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Any word yet about being able to take the back cover off and swap out the internal memory, as is possible on the Glo? (I really don't wanna give up my 16GB upgrade...)
The Aura doesn't have an internal SD like the Glo from all reports I've read.

Inside the Aura

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote