Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
billykazee
billykazee began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle Non Touch
Unhappy Jailbreaking £89 kindle after latest update

Hi, I'm new to this so hope I'm posting my question in the right place.I successfully installed custom screen savers on my Kindle non touchby using the following http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kindle-nt-jailbre... and http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/update_ss_0.26.N_.... My wife was so impressed she asked me to do hers as well.However I cannot get it to work on her kindle.She got hers about six months after me and amazon have updated it with the aeroplane mode method of turning wifi on and off(mine still has the old style way of doing this as I rarely use wifi)I can only assume that this has something to do with it.The linkss folder does not appear.After a lot of searching yesterday I found a newer version of the rar file This was it kindle-ss-0.27.N.When I opened it there was a 'src' folder and in that was a 'linkss' folder which I placed in the Kindle.After updating and restarting the kindle the 'linkss' folder was there with the screensavers folder within it and the little picture telling me the hack was successful.However when I place pictures in it and then restart the kindle they don't appear I still have the amazon pictures of pen nibs etc.Has anyone successfully added screensavers to a kindle non touch (the £89 one)since the aeroplane mode update? I hope someone can help me as I feel I have 'almost got it' but have just fallen at the last hurdle! Thanks , Noel
billykazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you're not posting it in the right place. I'm moving it to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It would help a lot if you specified a REAL kindle model number or model name. I cannot see "£89 kindle" listed at amazon.com. It would also help to know if yours is a "Special Offers" kindle. Without adequate identifying information, I can only point you in a direction to do your own research.

I tried to identify your model number by clicking your links, but they only display "404 Error" pages, so I can only guess.

The "airplane mode" firmware broke some of the custom apps (including the screensaver hack). There are updated versions available. You can start by looking in the index wikis linked from the Dev Corner "Master Index" sticky thread to find the appropriate screensaver hacks for your firmware version.

EDIT: Okay, more googling found a page showing a picture of a K4 with "£89 Kindle" in the title. Because it was a "Cyber Monday" special price, it was probably a "Special Offers" K4:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/por...amazon-1047145

The "airplane mode" firmware on a K4 is 4.1.0. Here is the thread for custom screensavers on the K4, confirmed working with 4.1.0 (but not for "Special Offers" kindles):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174781

There are other "less reputable" hacks that remove "Special Offers" to allow custom screensavers, but MobileRead does not condone discussing how to do this (but they do not delete such discussions either), so you can find them if you look. Be sure that they are 4.1.0 compatible, and do not brick your kindle by trying to install incompatible or poorly-tested hacks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
billykazee
billykazee began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle Non Touch
You wouldn't find an £89 kindle non touch at Amazon.com as that is an American site.My kindle was bought in the UK and therefore has no special offers.I followed the instructions to the letter but it did not create a screensavers folder.Perhaps it only works on american kindles.Thanks anyway.Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer
billykazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's the K4, GM. As the OP says, there are no ads outside the US.
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the K4, GM. As the OP says, there are no ads outside the US.
I guessed that it was a K4 from what evidence I could find, as you can see in my previous post. Although there may not be ads outside the US, some non-US kindles DO have "Special Offers", which amazon has been kind enough to remove on request at no charge to non-US residents. The OP did say it has no ads in his most recent post made after my most recent post, but I see no mention about Special Offers in the previous OP posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billykazee View Post
You wouldn't find an £89 kindle non touch at Amazon.com as that is an American site.My kindle was bought in the UK and therefore has no special offers.I followed the instructions to the letter but it did not create a screensavers folder.Perhaps it only works on american kindles.Thanks anyway.Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer
I am not aware of a difference between US and non-US kindles. They use the same firmware update that you can download from amazon. It is possible that your hack has an updated version to work on your new firmware version, or an updated hack may be available soon.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I guessed that it was a K4 from what evidence I could find, as you can see in my previous post. Although there may not be ads outside the US, some non-US kindles DO have "Special Offers"
Only those bought FROM the US - eg I have a Special Offers Kindle Touch, which someone in the US bought for me. The Special Offers Kindle is only sold in the US, to US customers. It's pretty safe to assume that anyone outside the US will not have a Special Offers Kindle.

Quote:
I am not aware of a difference between US and non-US kindles. They use the same firmware update that you can download from amazon. It is possible that your hack has an updated version to work on your new firmware version, or an updated hack may be available soon.
For the K4, I agree. The only real difference is in the 3G Kindles; US models have an AT&T SIM, non-US models have a Vodafone SIM. That presumably requires at least minor firmware differences. But, as you say, there shouldn't be any differences with the K4.