Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you chosen to get a replacement for you faulty Paperwhite?
Yes 25 34.72%
No, it is bad but I can live with it 3 4.17%
I haven't decided yet 5 6.94%
No my PW is good 39 54.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hmm, it does not seem to matter at what time you call. One minute I got India, another the US. May be worth just hanging up and calling again next time. Being German, I have a hard time with English spoken with foreign accents - unless zey're Choooorman.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #32
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Haha, sorry, or possibly 'you're welcome'. (If anything I'm also stalking 1 and 2-star reviews on Amazon, and you have a memorable screen name.)
Fine, be like that! One minute you make me feel special, the next one I am just another 1 star review. Hmpf.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #33
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Fine, be like that! One minute you make me feel special, the next one I am just another 1 star review. Hmpf.
I said "also"!! =D
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I know of at least one person who has had two PWs replaced. Unfortunately the poll doesn't have an option for multiple replacements.
At this point I could vote yes three times.
What about you, are you trying another replacement?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
At this point I could vote yes three times.
What about you, are you trying another replacement?
No, I don't think it would do any good given the track records of many of us. If I don't keep this one I'll just return it and use my Touch. I'm tempted by the new K4 Black with its terrific screen, but I really like the touch screen interface. I do a lot of highlighting as I'm somewhat scholarly and read those sort of boring things! So a non-touch K is really time consuming for highlighting or typing. If I read mostly fiction I would get the K4B in a heartbeat!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hmm, it does not seem to matter at what time you call. One minute I got India, another the US. May be worth just hanging up and calling again next time. Being German, I have a hard time with English spoken with foreign accents - unless zey're Choooorman.
Yeah just say: Someone's at my door I'll call back later. Works every time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #37
xendula
eBookworm

Very polite, Blossom. I was saying to just hang up. After today's last call to CS, nice Xendula is gone
Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #38
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yeah I think evil Jack is about to appear. Well more evil than usual anyway. I call him the Anti-Jack, nearly pure evil.

I settled for 2nd rate on my Touch, but enough is enough.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-10-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #39
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

I settled for 2nd rate on my Touch, but enough is enough.
Ironic -- my thoughts exactly. But I'm not sure what we can do, other than return our PWs en masse. It seems those of us here on MR are in a minority compared to the large number of sales. I suspect most settle for what they get or are ignorant to the problems. Frankly, I do not believe a flawless screen exists.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-10-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #40
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Ironic -- my thoughts exactly. But I'm not sure what we can do, other than return our PWs en masse. It seems those of us here on MR are in a minority compared to the large number of sales. I suspect most settle for what they get or are ignorant to the problems. Frankly, I do not believe a flawless screen exists.
Yes, it does. When you look at the ones on engadget and other tech sites, theirs are completely uniform. They even state that you CAN'T SEE where the light is coming from. I want a unit from that batch!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #41
chocochibi
chocochibi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm getting a replacement tomorrow for my 3G PW without SO. What I've been reading here though doesn't make me too hopeful.
chocochibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #42
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
At this moment in time fully 36% of the 55 respondents to this poll have indicated they returned their Paperwhite for a replacement. That is a HUGE number.

I just wonder how many of those stubbornly stick to a low PW light level. I have a hunch at level 22 of the 24 possible light levels most would not see ANY "defects."

Most purchasers of the PW probably don't even change their level from the default shipping level of 22 and are fully satisfied with their units.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #43
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
When you have time, go to the Amazon reviews and sort by 'newest reviews first'. I've been doing this on and off since I received my first blobby unit. Most of the time, you will see 'blotchy screen' complaints on page one, if not multiple times.

Also, I notice that as of this morning, the average rating for the PW has dropped from four stars to 3 1/2. It's kind of sad that this makes me happy, but it's always nice to feel vindicated.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Looks like you are CORRECT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
When you have time, go to the Amazon reviews and sort by 'newest reviews first'. I've been doing this on and off since I received my first blobby unit. Most of the time, you will see 'blotchy screen' complaints on page one, if not multiple times.

Also, I notice that as of this morning, the average rating for the PW has dropped from four stars to 3 1/2. It's kind of sad that this makes me happy, but it's always nice to feel vindicated.
As of now there are 403 customer reviews for the Paperwhite. 249 voted 4 or 5 stars and 89 voted 1 or 2 stars. The overall rating is 3.5 stars.

One complaint sums up what you are saying here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R9R6YI8...#R9R6YI82RMJV1

That means 22% are dissatisfied with their first unit. That is a huge amount of dissatisfied customers.

The big defect noticed were the smudges at the bottom of the screen. I barely notice them on my unit but others enhanced the photo I posted and they were very noticeable after the enhancement.

Its true the Amazon publicity photos had no evidence of those blotches at all.

Its possible that the majority who don't complain about them, simply have poorer vision than those who do complain about them. Maybe if the Amazon publicity photos showed them at least faintly, very few would be complaining now.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-10-2012 at 09:23 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #45
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I suspect most settle for what they get or are ignorant to the problems. Frankly, I do not believe a flawless screen exists.
I agree. I really think if I were to see the screens of many people that are keeping their PW's, I would see some imperfections such as the colors blobs, glowing specks, and screen leaks.

My replacement is out for delivery today. I'll likely keep my first PW if the replacement is worse, but it's not a perfect screen by any means.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote