Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh yeah, I get the need to look into a book before buying, but it's one of the reasons they're diminishing. You don't take your kids to a store to sit down and read. You know? It's a place of business and they only exist to gain that profit, and if parents are taking their kids and telling them to pick out books and whatever to read to them and putting them back afterwards, it's not benefiting them.

That area is always a mess. Books are always all over the place. And actually I remember this lady I know who actually blogged on this topic too. They're as bad as the Apple Store pretty much.
Not all are like that though. I think it comes down to size and individual store's managment.
I'm fortunate enought to live near a BN that not only has alot of comfy couches and chairs but also has a Childrens area. They have the majority of kids books in there along with interactive games and kiddy tables and chairs.

Last edited by boswd; 07-01-2011 at 01:58 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh yeah, I get the need to look into a book before buying, but it's one of the reasons they're diminishing. You don't take your kids to a store to sit down and read. You know? It's a place of business and they only exist to gain that profit, and if parents are taking their kids and telling them to pick out books and whatever to read to them and putting them back afterwards, it's not benefiting them.

That area is always a mess. Books are always all over the place. And actually I remember this lady I know who actually blogged on this topic too. They're as bad as the Apple Store pretty much.
I think you are assuming facts not in evidence by saying that having people read in the store doesn't increase revenue in the long run. I would guess that the bulk of people who come in to "read for free" come away with a purchase or five -- especially once the kids get attached to a new series and can't live without the entire boxed set of Berenstein Bears or whatever they sell these days.

Heck, take the long view far enough, and I can point out that I've bought in adulthood books that I read "in store" that my parents couldn't afford at that time. And aside from those actual backlist titles I purchased, my love of reading that was nourished by an "in store" childhood has caused me to buy thousands of dollars of books in my adulthood -- many of them from B&N, actually. I'd say they made an intelligent investment choice there.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Eh. I don't see the point of getting your knickers in a knot over this; for some, B&N can do nothing right. B&N is essentially offering a free SD card with their reader, as CrunchGear noted. For someone on the fence, it might be what makes them decide it's time. If you were going to buy one anyway, why not get one now and get the SD card?

I agree that a few more of the B&N Classics titles would have made the come-on more attractive because the list does cause a big eye-roll, but it's no different from the junk that most of the ebookstores tout as free. Anyone who's been around ereading for even a short while knows how to parse "free ebook".

I'd rather not have the nuisance of erasing the SD card, but it's still something extra that really does have some value. For free.
True, but a 2GB card is, what, $4? $10 at most.

B&N claiming this is a $300 deal is probably what is most annoying to people in this thread. Most folks dislike deceptive advertising and thus like to help inform other consumers that this free deal is free, but isn't worth the $300 B&N is claiming. Nothing wrong with making that clear, imho.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
B&N claiming this is a $300 deal is probably what is most annoying to people in this thread. Most folks dislike deceptive advertising and thus like to help inform other consumers that this free deal is free, but isn't worth the $300 B&N is claiming. Nothing wrong with making that clear, imho.
I don't disagree. It happens all the time, when purveyors assign an inflated value to merchandise that never changed hands at that price and it causes resentment. No one likes being played for a fool. I also think that B&N could have thrown in a few more of their classics to make the deal seem more appealing. But since they aren't unique in this ploy, I don't think people were in danger of being taken in by it.

I think this one didn't bother me as much as this type of come-on usually does since at least they weren't charging for it at all (as opposed to "Get $300 worth of books for only $10) and because they were throwing in something that does have an objective value--as well as a few books that might appeal.

Maybe B&N marketing types have doped something out, although ultimately, I think it isn't going to change many minds. Those who wouldn't own a B&N product to save their lives are never going to be convinced to switch; for those who are disposed to buy a Nook someday soon it was going to happen anyway. It could have been better structured to win over a few of those on the fence, but I don't think anyone was being cheated or deceived.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Well, I agree the offer is positioned as a little more lucrative than it is -- "misleading" may or may not be true.

But it seems like a pretty decent deal on face value: essentially they are selling the Nook with the 2GB card included and 30 books to "get you started" using the device. That seems reasonably smart to me and an excellent deal without forcing them to actually drop the price.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

How good the deal is or isn't would seem to depend on the nature of the "upgrade". If you're just going in with your PocketBook 360 and saying "Yo, I know what eReaders are, gimme my Nook", well...ok. If they actually expect you to drop the thing off at the Customer Service Desk, then it's a rip-off in the extreme.

One presumes that the scenario is the former, not the latter. And yet, if that's the case, it's almost MORE insulting -- almost anyone with an eReader and plugged into the eBook scene already will know that those books aren't work $300 and that SD card isn't worth more than $10.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #22
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

??? The deal is "show me yours" and "we'll throw in some extras when you buy ours". How is that a rip-off?

The Nook Touch, from the reviews, is a very capable reader and competes strongly in the under $150 Pearl e-ink space, throwing in IR touch and WiFi and branded from Barnes and Noble, a very credible book retailer. Now the deal just got sweeter by an SD card and 30 (commercial) starter books.

I really don't understand how this can be seen as a bad thing for the consumer.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
??? The deal is "show me yours" and "we'll throw in some extras when you buy ours". How is that a rip-off?

The Nook Touch, from the reviews, is a very capable reader and competes strongly in the under $150 Pearl e-ink space, throwing in IR touch and WiFi and branded from Barnes and Noble, a very credible book retailer. Now the deal just got sweeter by an SD card and 30 (commercial) starter books.

I really don't understand how this can be seen as a bad thing for the consumer.
I'm saying it's a "rip-off" IF the "upgrade" means you have to leave your old device behind, like a trade-in. I highly doubt this is the case, but someone else brought it up in thread and I was providing my two cents on that.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #24
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Why not loads of public domain classics rather than all this junk?

oh, I see... if they put the time-proven classics, people are likely never to buy any of today's crap, but if they put in crap people will be lining for more. Clever, very clever...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm saying it's a "rip-off" IF the "upgrade" means you have to leave your old device behind, like a trade-in. I highly doubt this is the case, but someone else brought it up in thread and I was providing my two cents on that.
I see. I didn't realise you were calling rip-off based on unfounded speculation. The facts are crystal clear, not in dispute and trivially easy to verify. B&N is not snatching your current device from your hands.

Beginning Friday, while supplies last, customers will receive a free, 2GB microSD card loaded with 30 NOOK Books – from cooking and lifestyle to classics and reference – when they show a bookseller their old device and purchase the NOOK reader that best suits them.

Source: http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/pre...challenge.html
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I see. I didn't realise you were calling rip-off based on unfounded speculation. The facts are crystal clear, not in dispute and trivially easy to verify. B&N is not snatching your current device from your hands.
SP, with all due respect, I don't post just to speak to you. Someone else asked about the nature of the trade-in and I responded. Specifically, I said that a straight-up trade-in would be a rip-off, and the alternative -- I'll show you yours, you show me mine -- is weirder than a simple promotion-for-everyone since most people who already have eReaders will know that this isn't that great a deal.

In conclusion, I don't appreciate your tone.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #27
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
You are not giving your device to anyone. Come in, show the person at the nook desk your e-reader, buy a nook and get a free 2GB microSD card with books you may or may not like. It's a variety of books, not all classics, and you probably won't like them all. Either way, the SD card and books are free.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, free books, nook