Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation The quest for the Korean e-book

I was excited to see that the Kindle 3 supports Korean text (as well as Russian, Japanese, and Chinese). I've been thinking of getting a Kindle and I would love to be able to read Korean books on it as well.

Amazon does not currently have any Kindle books in Korean, so I went poking around on some Korean sites to see what I could find. yes24, Kyobo and Nuut all have ebooks available.

I haven't tried anything with Nuut yet, but I was able to register on both Yes24 and Kyobo.

I almost got through buying a book on Yes24, but their credit-card verification thingy choked on my card number. I tried calling but wasn't able to get through to a real person. (I didn't spend a lot of time on this--I may try again later. I can't really understand the recorded menu at all, but I could just push buttons randomly and see what happens. (Heh.) Their books are in ePub.

I had a bit more success at Kyobo and was able to actually buy a book. Theirs are in ePub and also PDF, which seemed promising. When I went to download the book, it asked to install a program called eBookCase. I tried installing it but it doesn't seem to have worked properly. The installer and everything in the program is in hangul and it's all just showing up as question marks in gibberish. (I can see hangul fine in internet browsers and things like MS Word and Photoshop, but not something like this, apparently.) After eBookCase sort-of-installed it opened up another program called ezPDF Reader. Then a little window popped up that said, "Cannot open: Damaged document."

I did try uninstalling and re-installing eBookCase and got the same result.

I called Kyobo and got through to a real person, and they said that yes, I do have to use this eBookCase with their ebooks. I don't really know much computer-related vocabulary so I couldn't really explain what was going on. I wrote them an email (in English) but haven't heard anything back... they may or may not be able to help me out that way.

Now, since I don't actually have an e-reader yet I don't really know how these things work, but is it the case that most places that sell e-books also have their own software that you have to install to access the files? I don't suppose there's anyone here who's bought from any of these places and was able to get the software to work?

Even if I can get a book downloaded, I have no idea if I would be able to read it on a Kindle. PDF should work, right? Or is that not really a good format for reading text?

I'm willing to consider other devices if something else seems like it would work better. At this point I'm just trying to get the books downloaded.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Why don't you make your own Korean mobi file for testing purposes.
If it doesn't display properly, you will have to use PDF with an embedded font.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

I could do that, but I would still like to be able to buy books.

I got through to somebody at Yes24 and they said there's nothing they can do about their security thing not accepting my credit card number.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
well it seems you are running into a couple different problems. The CC problem at yes24 is probably a geographical restriction in their CC processing security. so there's no getting around that.

For the book you downloaded from Kyobo you may have to redownload it. Ebook stores (and other digital content stores) usually allow you to redownload the file in case it got corrupted during transfer. Try that first .

As for reading it on the Kindle or any other reader- well we need to understand the deal with eBookCase better. If its some Korean form of DRM program like Adobe DE then its problematic. You'd have to find a way to strip the drm.

Im having trouble even locating ebook case on that kyobo site. can you give me a link?

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 08-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo mini
The CC problem is definitely not because of geographical restrictions. I've bought from them before and there is actually an option for "foreign credit cards". Not sure why it doesn't work for you though, HelenaJole.

Regarding the question marks in korean programs, there is an easy fix for that. Go into the control panel --> regional and language options --> 'advanced' tab and set the option for non-unicode applications to korean. That's assuming you use WinXP. Vista and Win7 should have the same option though.

Yes24, Kyobo and several other korean bookstores use 한국이퍼브 DRM for their epub files (which no ereader device outside Korea supports). Not sure about PDF files, but if you want to read books on an ebook reader PDF is never a good option in my opinion.

But there is at least one alternative apart from getting a korean ebook reader. book2.co.kr sells epub files with Adobe DRM and embedded fonts, so it should work fine with most devices. Stripping the DRM and converting to mobi should even make those books usable with a Kindle.
stesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

stesc- thanks for the name of the drm-i was able to google it with the Korean spelling and translate from there

book2 looks like the resource she needs.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

Thanks! I am checking it out.

Yes24 also says their books are in ePub with Adobe DRM. If I could just get past the credit card thing... It just doesn't like me. I picked the "해외 마스타카드" (foreign Master Card) option, but then when I put in my number it says "An error occurred while receiving ANSIMCLICK Secure Verification. The card company has not listed the number for ANSIMCLICK Secure."

I just changed the language setting... I'll see what that does!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

I've bought ePub ebooks at yes24.com before and they definitely had 한국이퍼브 DRM. That's why their ebook guide tells you to download KEPHViewer and not Adobe Digital Editions (which you would need for Adobe DRM).

I've no idea though what ANSIMCLICK Secure is. Never heard of it.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

I got eBookCase to work! And got my book downloaded (키다리 아저씨-- Daddy Long Legs). Now I just have to figure out what all I can do with it.

I found a book on Book2 that I might try out.

Oh, you know what, I think that was actually nuut that I was looking at earlier that says it uses Adobe DRM. Hmmm.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Have you tried opening the book in Calibre?
If you can do that you should also be able to convert it to MOBI and transfer it to your Kindle 3.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stesc View Post

I've no idea though what ANSIMCLICK Secure is. Never heard of it.
ANSIMCLICK appears the secure CC verification/fullfilment service the site is using for overseas card verification. It sounds like the Card providing bank has not enabled something that allows ANSIMCLICK to verify the card.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

I'm testing a couple of the free books at Book2 and I can't get them to come up in Adobe Digital Editions. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
stesc

Seems to be a problem with their online shop. If you open up one of those ePub files in a text editor you'll online find an error message (since their server generates the ePub file every time you click on the download link instead of just providing a previously uploaded file - and that process seems to be faulty). So, nothing you can do until they fix it.

I'm not sure though if this problem is only related to those free books or all books that lack a list of available formats (several non-free books do too). I recently bought 시간을 달리는 소녀 (which lists ePub as available) from them and it works great.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

Book2 didn't like my credit card either, but I tried my parents' and that seems to work. Except I keep getting an error at the very end (after the card-verification part, so I'm assuming it's not that). I'll have to give them a call on Monday and see if they can tell me anything.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

stesc--how recently did you buy that? I still can't get it to work... it looks like everything goes through okay and then I get an error at the very end. And when I try to call I get a recording. I can't quite understand the whole thing but something about service and then "thank you for understanding" (I think).