Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Justification in prc to mobi conversion

Hi,

I have an e-book that I downloaded in .prc format to read on my Kindle. Because the title was not showing up properly, I imported it into Calibre and altered the metadata. As I understand it, I then have to convert to mobi in order to get the book title to show up properly in the kindle. That worked fine, but I noticed that the book was full-justified rather than left-justifed, unlike the original prc version. I could not change this in my kindle (K1), even though the command exists. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
drplokta
drplokta began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
In Calibre's preferences, under "Conversion", there's an option you can set called "No text justification".
drplokta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why did you convert it? "PRC" format (almost certainly) is Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why did you convert it? "PRC" format (almost certainly) is Mobi.
Kovid won't let Calibre make PRC anymore.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre imports PRC books just fine, and, if you edit the metadata, and do a "save to disk" (or send the book to the device) the book will have the changed metadata.

You can also use tompe's "mobi2mobi" tools to edit the metadata in a Mobi book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried the prc version first and it showed up with the original (incorrectly formatted title) on my kindle, even though it shows up correctly in Calibre. That has also been my experience with other books.

After seeing the justification problem on my kindle, I found and checked the "no text justification" button, closed Calibre, then reopened it and reformatted the book as mobi, but it still was justified. I think it replaced the original mobi file, based on the date.

One other piece of information -- although the original file (prc) was left-justified on the kindle, it was full-justified when I opened it on my laptop in Calibre (or python, whatever that is...)

Yours in confusion,

k4k
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
krazy4katz
Addict

P.S. If anyone wants to reproduce this, the book is "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Dana, which I downloaded from MobileRead as part of the Harvard Classics series.

k4k
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Calibre imports PRC books just fine, and, if you edit the metadata, and do a "save to disk" (or send the book to the device) the book will have the changed metadata.

You can also use tompe's "mobi2mobi" tools to edit the metadata in a Mobi book.
You do have to convert it to mobi in order to change the metadata and have it show properly on Kindle. But on the Kindle 2, the text was always fully justified, even before conversion. Ditto looking at it with the Mobipocket Reader.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
krazy4katz
Addict

Thanks, Jim. I will try the conversion to Mobi with a different book and see what happens.

k4k