Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, so I am confused as to what sending them one at a time does. It shouldn't make any different if you are sorting by title. Right?

BOb

I don't sort by title, I sort by author.

I don't know why, but sending them 'all at once' the numbers are out of order. Doesn't matter how I highlight, low to high, or high to low.

Sending them one by one keeps the numbers in order.

I've opened them all to get the 'new' designation off the page, and that hasn't changed the numerical order.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
So, to definitely get a series in order, first sort by title and then sort by author.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I don't sort by title, I sort by author.

I don't know why, but sending them 'all at once' the numbers are out of order. Doesn't matter how I highlight, low to high, or high to low.
Do you see the same behavior as wallcraft does? If you sort by most recent then by author are they in a different order than if your sort by title then back to by author?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Tranquil Ape
Tranquil Ape began at the beginning.

Device: K2
Unhappy by accident...

So, I've been playing around with Calibre for a couple days as i just got a kindle 2 this week. some how, one series of books i have... sorts exactly the way it sounds we all want. series is in numerical order within that author's group when the Kindle is set to sort by author. (just to be clear, no, the book titles arent alphabetical)

poked around to see why this was happening, i originally thought the series info in the metadata was being read but no such luck. then i noticed that in the /my ebooks/authorName/ directory...

the file structure is

/my ebooks/authorName/BookTitle (XX)/ (where XX is a number.. im guessing a database ID or something)

checked the rest of my stuff and this is the only series that happens to be sequential as far as the numbers are concerned.

Also realised that when sending ebooks to the kindle the mobi files are renamed...

so

Blue_Adept - Anthony_Piers.mobi (in the directory on my PC)

becomes

Blue_Adept_-_Anthony,_Piers_52.mobi

anyone else have any info? i suppose i could tear down my library and start a new one in an attempt to research this...
Tranquil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Ape View Post
/my ebooks/authorName/BookTitle (XX)/ (where XX is a number.. im guessing a database ID or something)

checked the rest of my stuff and this is the only series that happens to be sequential as far as the numbers are concerned.

Blue_Adept - Anthony_Piers.mobi (in the directory on my PC)

becomes

Blue_Adept_-_Anthony,_Piers_52.mobi
That is convenient if it helps the kindle sort buy file name in some way. But, I don't think it does. Also, those numbers in calibre are sequential across all ebooks in your library and is incremented for each book you add. So, unless you add the books in the series in series order they won't actually be in the correct sequence.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Tranquil Ape
Tranquil Ape began at the beginning.

Device: K2
ahhh, didnt think about that... now im at a loss... theres no reason why those 7 books should be sorted that way...glad they are... but cant explain it...
Tranquil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah, interesting. Thanks for that.

Do you see the same behavior as wallcraft does? If you sort by most recent then by author are they in a different order than if your sort by title then back to by author?

BOb
Sorting by "most recent" then by "author" puts everything backwards, (4,3,2,1)

Sorting by "title" then by "author" puts some things back in order numerically, but not all.

However, turning the kindle off, then back on, fixes everything.

Also, if the book hasn't been converted to mobi by Calibre, no matter what you do it won't sort properly, by number.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(1)