Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
When Comparing PW1 with PW2...

...I find that I prefer the PW1. I know, I know, the new PW2 is faster and text is said to be crisper with better contrast, etc. etc.

I was quite surprised at this myself, but here is what I did: Same book, same embedded font, same size everything, same light setting. I then placed both in a dark room next to each other and shuffled them so I did not know which one was the PW1 and which one the PW2. I then walked past the table several times glancing at both, sat down and read for a bit, and then picked my favorite - and I did this several times - and I picked the PW1 every time.

I tried to figure out why and I think it is because the new PW2 has a screen that glows. The even lighting makes the screen brighter and whiter looking and by definition and as per ads and many reviews, this is to make the text look crisper and darker. However, I find that this "brighter glow" makes the text look a bit fuzzy around the edges and a bit dimmer looking; this is probably more of a subjective thing than anything else. I really like the brighter and whiter screen of the PW2 but my eyes do not, especially after reading for several hours in a dark room

Does anybody out there feel the same way? Feel free to call me crazy...

If my camera were up to the task I'd take a snapshot for show and tell but the difference is unlikely to be visible at a low res.

Last edited by booknut; 10-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
My friend has both the PW1 and 2 and she seems to feel the same as you and is considering returning her PW2. She feels the text on the PW2 is slightly fuzzy. I don't see it myself between my 1 and 2, but she is adamant about it on hers. So she feels the same as you.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I had two Paperwhite 2s, the first wasn't too bad apart from a light bleed in the frame, without that I probably would have kept it, but even so now it's gone back I find I don't miss it, I also think I prefer the whiteness of the PW1, with all it's shadow hues.

The new screen is cream, how the adds can say whites are whiter I have no idea as there is no more white on the screen. I guess the screen colour was changed to hide the shadows from the LEDs.

The problem we now have is if this is the new Carta screen then eventually all screens will be cream.

My second one was a splotchy darker, more yellow screen, the best one was the first.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
I am almost in agreement except for the light bleed. Interesting perspective you offer. Thanks.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
A couple of thoughts:
-Are the light levels on each device emitting the same amount of light ie lumens? I have noticed that even at the same "level", each unit is different from other units due to variances in the LEDs
-Most of us choose the familiar over the unfamiliar. I found that when I first used either an Aura or PW2, they both looked weird compared to my PW1. However, after reading a book or two on the new PW, I find it weird to go back to reading on the PW1 (passed on to my family).

I suggest putting your PW1 aside and not using it for a few days. Then re-test yourself and see what you like again. It would be an interesting experience.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
A couple of things:
Maybe you are using too strong a light? If the new one is brighter than it could be too much on your eyes, especially in the dark. BTW it's best any way to use soft light as possible in bed because light messes with melatonin production and can cause sleep disturbances.

It could also be that you are just used to the old one so it looks better to you. Of course it could also be that the old one is just better and your eyes just prefer it.
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
A couple of thoughts:
Weird. I just wrote almost your exact response without even seeing it first.
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Frankly, both the PW 2012 and the HD 2012 are fine devices. I think most folks would do well just using those two and NOT wasting the extra money to upgrade.

However, if one wants to splurge, then the PW 2013 and HDX 2013 give the purchaser new toys with new ways to have fun.

I find I spend far more money on eReaders each year than eBooks but I do it for the extra enjoyment because I can well afford to do so.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Exactly what I find when I compare my PW1 and PW2. Both are nice units without fail.

The fuzzy edge around the font of the PW2 is very hard to see. When I read without glasses I have a very good near sight. Holding the PW at about 20 cm (7 inch) from my face I can see very clearly. The soft edge is visible in particular on round letters (o, e, u ...).

Since I prefer the finer and more delicate fonts, I like to read Caecilia on my PW2, which I find rather fat on my PW1. Same applies to Helvetica, but I don't like this font. All other fonts are still ok, not too thin.

Conclusion: I prefer the PW2. In particular the Vocabulary trainer to further improve my English.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
You may be right but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
...I find that I prefer the PW1. I know, I know, the new PW2 is faster and text is said to be crisper with better contrast, etc. etc.

I was quite surprised at this myself, but here is what I did: Same book, same embedded font, same size everything, same light setting. I then placed both in a dark room next to each other and shuffled them so I did not know which one was the PW1 and which one the PW2. I then walked past the table several times glancing at both, sat down and read for a bit, and then picked my favorite - and I did this several times - and I picked the PW1 every time.

I tried to figure out why and I think it is because the new PW2 has a screen that glows. The even lighting makes the screen brighter and whiter looking and by definition and as per ads and many reviews, this is to make the text look crisper and darker. However, I find that this "brighter glow" makes the text look a bit fuzzy around the edges and a bit dimmer looking; this is probably more of a subjective thing than anything else. I really like the brighter and whiter screen of the PW2 but my eyes do not, especially after reading for several hours in a dark room

Does anybody out there feel the same way? Feel free to call me crazy...

If my camera were up to the task I'd take a snapshot for show and tell but the difference is unlikely to be visible at a low res.
... this is very subjective.

What for me can be a perfect balance between clarity and contrast, it can be too much for you.

I honestly find the fonts on the PW2 more crisp and easier to read. I even ask my wife and she picked the PW2 several times. And giving the case that's hardware improvement (vocabulary and flash card is software improvement, we will get it on the PW1 at some point, I guess) I decided to ordered the 3G PW2 via Amazon.

I do not bother the light on the PW2 being brighter. I do prefer a more crisp and defined font though. To my eyes, that's more important and I can read better and for longer period of time.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Did you try adjusting the pw2 so the lighting was not as bright and a closer match to the pw1, if so did that make any difference to your opinion?

Interesting findings in any case.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find the PW2 to be significantly better than the one. The lighting is a lot more even, the shadow cones at the bottom of the screen are virtually gone, and the screen is a warmer tint, which I prefer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I AGREE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find the PW2 to be significantly better than the one. The lighting is a lot more even, the shadow cones at the bottom of the screen are virtually gone, and the screen is a warmer tint, which I prefer.
I agree with that perception. However, for those with tight budgets the PW 2012 would well suffice at a lower price these days. If one can afford it, the PW 2013 has better contrast.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with Harry's assessment. In addition, I find the touch screen more responsive than that of the PW1. It's the first touch screen that has reconciled me to the lack of page-turn buttons. It does seem to me, though, that the battery doesn't last quite as long, but I may be imagining this--it's early days.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Yes, I set the two units next to each other and first adjusted to the same number and then fine tuned till the screens looked identical. The PW2's font has a slightly softer edge to it, no matter if Amasis, Miller Text, or something else. Last night, I read only on the PW2 and after about an hour my eyes started watering although I set the light pretty low, something like 10 - never had that with PW1 but had the same problem with the Nook Glo. Maybe once stores carry the PW2, I'll take mine in for comparison, there just seem to be so many variations within the same product. Mine was shipped from PA, although I live in WA and had to pay in-state sales tax.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote