Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubemike99 View Post
Thanks so much for this info: I got all the included optware tools working fine. What I think might really powerful, though, is ipkg. The only question, though, is how compatible it is with the PW. I mean, vim and screen installed worked absolutely perfectly. However, when I tried to install python3, all its depends installed fine, but the python3 package itself hung during the "extracting data files to /" step (btw you only see this when using the ipkg -V 3 flag). Can anyone proffer any advice? I would *LOVE* python on my kindle.
Not sure why it would not, but it might simply be a space problem. There is not a lot of room on / - only spot that has room is the /mnt/us partition. And maybe something else - root is mounted readonly normally on Kindle.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Space seems a likely candidate, except for the fact that anything ipkg installs should be installed to /opt/*. And /opt/* actually lives inside that .img on /mnt/us. I even bothered to specify ipkg's tmp directory as /opt/tmp, which is also inside the img on /mnt/us. To find out what was going on, I cross checked the files inside the python3.ipk and what was being put into /opt/*. It seems like something to do with extracting files to /opt/lib makes the kindle choke, as I see 40 odd MB of stuff to do with python on the kindle before it freezes, whereas there's 60 odd MB in the actual ipk archive. It may be something as silly as being unable to deal with the very large number of files. Next, I'll try to put the libs there myself without faffing around with ipkg.
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Try to increase your room on your disk-image. When I put my guide up on what I did, I never thought about something huge like python. Especially if you need it twice - downloaded package and the install at the same time (100mb gives me enough space and some, possibly not for you).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went whole hog and used the 500mb image. The ipk is 15mb, the extracted contents are 70mb. My theory at this point is that the 4000+ files associated with the package are simply too much for the kindle's limited ram.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubemike99 View Post
I went whole hog and used the 500mb image. The ipk is 15mb, the extracted contents are 70mb. My theory at this point is that the 4000+ files associated with the package are simply too much for the kindle's limited ram.
I would use this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195046
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #36
cubemike99
Enthusiast

That's python2.7
But listen to this:
Like I said before, I took it upon myself to manually copy over the contents of the python3 package. I've been doing it folder by folder to isolate what causing the problem. And get this: its hanging up on a folder with a single "README" file in it

Will report back after I hard reset my kindle, skip that folder, and copy the rest of the stuff.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #37
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh yeah.

Hmm.. I thought python 3 was lying around... hmm.

well the debian extractor package that dos1 made would also probably do that job.
no point reinventing the wheel is all I was thinking

Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #38
cubemike99
Enthusiast

Well, it actually turns out it was that silly text file and a folder with 1000+ files in it that were the culprits. But, after all that manual copying, i have a fully working python3 install.

Admittedly, my actions are a veryveryvery crude workaround for the kindle choking with a great many files. And unfortunately, I don't have the know how to create a proper fix.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #39
cubemike99
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
oh yeah.

Hmm.. I thought python 3 was lying around... hmm.

well the debian extractor package that dos1 made would also probably do that job.
no point reinventing the wheel is all I was thinking

Good Luck!
Debian extractor package? Hmm, would you mind posting the link? The only result the search turns up is you mention of it in this thread lol.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #40
twobob

jiminies... gimme a while *goes hunting*

Ah right no...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=6

That add PYTHON packages.. Have a look anyways (I was thinking of my own debian file extractor - duh!)

Python 3? I will have look in buildroot... Hasnt Niluje relased one? no? *goes looking*

Last edited by twobob; 02-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, no Python 3 for me, x-compiling 2.7 was a painful enough experience .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #42
twobob

lol. Maybe i was thinking of buildroot... Thanks