Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Black Friday - $79 Nook Touch vs $85 Kindle 3G Keyboard (special offers)

I already have a Sony PRS650 that I'm perfectly happy with, but I wouldn't mind having a backup device that I can loan to other people. I don't mind doing conversions between formats with calibre, though I have more experience with ePubs.

So, which device wins out?

Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch Limited Edition for $79

or

Amazon Kindle 3G Keyboard (with special offers) for $85?

Personally, I like the 3G of the Kindle, though it's probably unnecessary for me now as I just got a 4G account on my smartphone. The Nook is running android and it seems like it can be rooted to run the Market and various apps, which may be fun to mess with.

I'd love to hear some opinions and arguments for which one I should go for.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
drake-r8
drake-r8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS T1 and Kobo wireless
Quote:
$79 Nook Touch vs $85 Kindle 3G Keyboard
I just bought my daughter a nook touch - she loved it. I have a simple kobo and a sony prs-500. All three use epub format. For this reason alone I would choose the nook over amazon's selfish decision to develop it's own proprietary format.
drake-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Last time I checked, Adobe wasnt giving access to its drm system out for free, so why on earth would you expect Amazon to pay licensing fees to Adobe instead using its own drm?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Did you end up buying it and, if so, would you be willing to upload pictures? Just curious.

I love the instant font and margin options on the ST, and its tactile rightness as an object, but the 350 seems more flexible unless you root the ST, and I haven't been paying sufficient attention to know how that's gone. I do know that, without rooting, you have to rename certain epub files to get the ST to recognize them, and that the 350 is better with pdfs (though no smaller non-tablet is actually good with them).
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote