Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
chancey
chancey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Whispersync for Non-Amazon books?

I am getting a Kindle DX very soon regardless of the answer to this question, but it would be nice to know.

I am about to purchase a subscription to safaribooksonline.com which is a great resource for programming books. With the subscription they allow you download several digital copies per month, they say one of those formats is MOBI.

If I add the MOBI files to my Kindle Mac and Kindle device (possibly even Kindle iPad but not crucial) will whispersync keep the pages and more importantly the highlighting and bookmarks synced between the books? Or is it just 2 documents on different devices that are completely independent?

Thanks
chancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancey View Post
Or is it just 2 documents on different devices that are completely independent?
No syncing. The only things that get synced are AZW/Topaz format purchased from Amazon.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
chancey
chancey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
No syncing. The only things that get synced are AZW/Topaz format purchased from Amazon.
Thanks, shortly after I found this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76682

I'll often read on the train and highlight things that I need to revise or investigate further when I get back to my mac, so manually syncing is not a problem. What about if I manually sync with the USB cable?
chancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is no sync'ing software when you use the USB cable. The only sync'ing is via Whispernet for Amazon-purchased books.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Looks like you got your answer
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
I'd check to make sure their mobi downloads are not DRM'd before you get the safari subscription. DRM'd mobi doesn't work on Kindle
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
If you put the books on two devices (lets just say the K2 and KDX) you can transfer over the MBP (or whatever the notes/bookmarks file is) over to the other device and then the notes and marks will be the same.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote