Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
vv01f2009
vv01f2009 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Too many books ? loading forever -

Hello,
I have a large collection of referance PDF's 12,000 + I have a 16Gig memory card, I have put all the books on with the e-book software , But when I dissconect the usb , it starts the *loading* and then just stays there ,3 days I have waited , then what happens I catch it doing a re-boot , and then it starts all over again. and again. and again.
Dose anyone know how many books can be put on the reader before this happens the memory card is not even half full with these books , and I have none on the internal memory.

I'm really greatful for any advise.
/J
vv01f2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hello vv01f2009 and welcome to MR..

Although I haven't used a card in my reader yet, I have encountered a few posts dealing with the issue. Run a search to check out other threads.
I did find this thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=card+loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have the 2 gig PNY. I generally carry the memory card with me, but don't put it in the 505 unless I need a book that isn't on the 505. I put all my books on the memory card, then put the books that I am either reading, or are on my to be read list on the 505. I do put the card in the 505 every time I add books to the card, just to let it index the card. I do find that when I first loaded the card, I needed to add books in sets rather than all at once, since the indexing software seemed to not be able to handle that many new books at once.
Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon..
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
vv01f2009

I followed the link , but they didn't really get into my problem , I am using a Memoreystick Pro (magicgate2)

I have deleted / formatted the card , I will try adding the books in 50's and dissconect in betweeen to let the DB update,. I'll be back with my results.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe load in smaller amounts since you are loading pdfs? Hope you get it figured out..
Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
vv01f2009

loaded 500 now and it is defiantly getting slower
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Have you read through this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...mory+stick+505

Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience but you might gain some insight from a few of the comments there regarding the sony cataloging speed and the cards ...
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
vv01f2009

, It's not so much the speed that worries me , Once the cataloging is completed it dosn't do it again, unless you add / remove books , what IS a problem is that it crahses and re-starts the device , because it then starts the cataloging again, and it gets stuck in a loop.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
vv01f2009

Status - now takes 8 mins with 1179 books
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

That's a lot more than that device is really meant to hold, especially with PDFs (they tend to run slower). Is there any particular reason you want all of those books on the Reader at the same time?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I found that for best performance the Reader works better if you don't use a memory card and limit yourself to the 200-300 books it can hold in the onboard memory. Anytime I did more there were problems (generally reboots where it would loose formatting & sometimes collection info).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
vv01f2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That's a lot more than that device is really meant to hold, especially with PDFs (they tend to run slower). Is there any particular reason you want all of those books on the Reader at the same time?
Hi, they arent really books as such , they are 1-10 page instruction sheets, I could wrap them all into a single PDF I suppose , but I would have to mess around with formating, indexes etc.. I guess, otherwise I would never find the page I wanted at the time.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, I hate to say this, but that's way too many titles (especially those PDF memory hogs! ), than the Reader can comfortably handle.

Any time you want to add or delete titles, you're going to have to wait an agonizing amount of time; but, even more so, with that many titles, you risk the danger of something going screwy somewhere.

My advice is to cut down - drastically - the number of files on your Reader. This concern is echoed almost universally here. Most of us here put between 100-200 titles on our Reader.

The constant loading and unloading will also drastically reduce your battery life.

Also, let me welcome you to MobileRead.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
vv01f2009

ahh well , seems like my dream of having all this data to hand in an easy to read device , is not going to happen just yet - maybe the next gereration
Thanks for the advise and help.

-concider this topic closed-
Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv01f2009 View Post
Hi, they arent really books as such , they are 1-10 page instruction sheets, I could wrap them all into a single PDF I suppose , but I would have to mess around with formating, indexes etc.. I guess, otherwise I would never find the page I wanted at the time.
If you do that though, you're going to have a much easier time reading them and finding what you want. Trying to find a document out of that many is going to be incredibly difficult on the Sony. But if you group them in like groups and set up Table of Contents, it'll be a good thing.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
One thing some people do that helps is to carry a few different SD cards with different books on them, then they swap out the SD cards depending on which book they need to access. To make this feasible though, you'd still need to cut down from 12,000+ pdfs.

I currently have about 275 books--most on my internal memory and about five on my SD card. When I make changes or have to reboot my reader it probably takes about three or four minutes to process those files. (I've never actually timed it.)

Good luck with your organization!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote