Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Waterstones customers losing access to some of their books

Just got this email from Waterstones UK:

Quote:
In order to improve the eBooks service that we are able to offer you on Waterstones.com, we are making a small change behind the scenes. This change will result in some lower eBook prices and a wider range of titles for you to choose between, however, some of the eBooks that you have bought in the past will no longer be available for you to download.

Our records show that you have some of the affected titles available in your Waterstones Digital Order History, so if you haven't downloaded these to your computer already, please do so as soon as possible.

Please note, when you view your order history only the eBooks with a green 'Download now' button (shown below) will be affected by this change, so there is no need to download other eBooks and Audio Downloads from your account immediately.
Here's where I quickly double check I've already downloaded everything from there!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked, out of 52 books on there, only one is vanishing so it's not too bad (for me at least!)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as if they're changing book suppliers.

As they say, all that's necessary with an ePub book is that you have _a_ download of it. You can use that download on any device registered to your ADE account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thank you, I'm going to check.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No need to check - they will have sent you an e-mail if you're affected by this. (I got one myself.)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Well all the warnings gain credence.

To be sure, you need to store the file yourself.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Could this mean that they are going to switch to Amazon for ebooks as well as ereaders now?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
simond
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Could this mean that they are going to switch to Amazon for ebooks as well as ereaders now?
Doubt it, otherwise they'd be warning everyone of the format change I guess...
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
No. Definitely not.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
I had the same email and replied to enquire about my future access to my book due to the DRM (If I change devices, computer etc.). They basically ignored the question and told me they would continue to sell DRM books and that to keep the ones I have I need to download them ASAP. I've found this very poor service and plan to stop buying from them. At least with Amazon I can be reasonably sure they won't disapear.
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Added to the Obsolescence section of Wikipedia's Digital Rights Management page.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
I had the same email and replied to enquire about my future access to my book due to the DRM (If I change devices, computer etc.). They basically ignored the question and told me they would continue to sell DRM books and that to keep the ones I have I need to download them ASAP. I've found this very poor service and plan to stop buying from them. At least with Amazon I can be reasonably sure they won't disapear.
ADE books (which are what Waterstones sell) are tied to your ADE account, not to any specific device or computer. You will continue to be able to able to read your books on any device (reader or PC) that's registered to your ADE account.

(Although, as a matter of principle, I'd strongly recommend removing the DRM as soon as you buy a book.)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
ADE books (which are what Waterstones sell) are tied to your ADE account, not to any specific device or computer. You will continue to be able to able to read your books on any device (reader or PC) that's registered to your ADE account.

(Although, as a matter of principle, I'd strongly recommend removing the DRM as soon as you buy a book.)
Apprentice Alf could be your friend. This is one reason he is mine.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apprentice Alf could be your friend. This is one reason he is mine.
Apache
He's been my friend for years!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
At least with Amazon I can be reasonably sure they won't disapear.
What does the continued longevity of a company have to do with it?

Adobe, Amazon, Microsoft, and Walmart have all orphaned various digitally restricted products, and not that long ago.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote