Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #14941
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If announcements are important they should be at the top so they can be seen first.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #14942
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Ditto again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Some of us have already subscribed to the forum.The point is that it really should be located at the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I think more people link directly to the forums than to the front page.
again!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #14943
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
After my attempt at Sheepfarmer's Daughter, I needed something light so I'm reading the YA book The Boy at the End of the World. It's now only $1.00 at BoB with latest promo code.
That was quite nice. Some interesting ideas and the ending, while unsurprising, was touching in a YA way. There was originality, however, the author did borrow from several other titles. This might have made a decent adult sci-fi if the author chose to work it that way. Rated C- [3 stars].

To cleanse the palate, I will next read My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #14944
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Yes, it did. Can't explain why though , because of spoilers.
Yes of course.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #14945
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
His Bright Light by Danielle Steel 1998

I just finished His Bright Light. I have to say it was so depressing. I painfully had to finish it. Danielle Steel's son Nick was bipolar. But I can't even imagine what they all went through. The fact that she was rich and enabled him to do and have things normal kids don't have didn't help. But I don't wish to pass judgment. But the fact he had access to drugs and friends gave it to him (or paid) didn't help either. I feel really bad for everyone involved here.

I think I will stick to fiction. True stories are too painful. I am now looking for a happy romance story. Any ideas?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #14946
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I just started Black Box by Michael Connelley. Yesterday I read Notorious Nineteen. So nice to have some time to actually read after working two more than full time jobs all year.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #14947
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Brilliance of the Moon by Lian Hearn is one of them to complete the trilogy I started towards the beginning of the year.
OK - that trilogy has finally been put to bed. I enjoyed it, but it didn't get a "Wow!" response from me. I was a bit disappointed by how quickly the thing ended and how much the author leaned on a major earthquake for resolution.

I do own the sequel to the trilogy - The Harsh Cry of the Heron - but I think it might be a while before I read it.

Now, back to December's book club read - Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #14948
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Reach for Tomorrow, an early Arthur C. Clarke collection starting with his first published story Rescue Party, from 1945!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #14949
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Reach for Tomorrow, an early Arthur C. Clarke collection starting with his first published story Rescue Party, from 1945!
Ooooh! OooooH! Rescue Party! Excellent story!

It was on line, but looks like Baen has taken it down...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #14950
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ooooh! OooooH! Rescue Party! Excellent story!

It was on line, but looks like Baen has taken it down...
If you're a fan of Clarke (as I am) I'd recommend "The Collected Short Stories of Arthur C. Clarke", which has all his short stories. An excellent book for "dipping into".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #14951
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're a fan of Clarke (as I am) I'd recommend "The Collected Short Stories of Arthur C. Clarke", which has all his short stories. An excellent book for "dipping into".
Thanks, I've myself probably got them all already but I'll check it out in any case, might be nice to have one volume like The Stories of Ray Bradbury. Woo-Hoo!

Just checked at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Collected-...thur+C.+Clarke

and it looks like Rescue Party is readable in the sample/look inside.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #14952
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished "False Scent" by Ngaio Marsh, the 21st book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series (which I've worked my way up to this point over the course of this last year). In this story, a famous by ageing actress, who has become intensely jealous of her younger rivals, is found dead at her own birthday party, apparently as the result of a mishap with very poisonous pesticide. But Alleyn has his suspicions that all is not as it appears to be...

Very much enjoyed this one. A good plot and interesting characters. I've found, over the course of the series, that those of Marsh's novels which are set in the world of the theatre (with which she had close personal connections) are often the best.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #14953
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading A Brewing Storm. It ends with a 'to be continued' which suggests to me that the 'Storm' Trilogy is a single story. Anyway I'm enjoying it and will probably continue with it after Christmas (the other two are wish list items)!

So now on to something new to me the first of a series called the Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy. She's kinda' interesting to me as she was born in Homer Alaska (I lived in Alaska for 1/2 of the 60's), writes this Urban Fantasy series about a 27 year old female native American Shaman and Catie Murphy presently lives in Ireland (a lot of Celtic mythology seems to be included in this first book, Urban Shaman). Also my college degree is in Anthropology.
I finished reading Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy. An interesting and a quite different approach to Urban Fantasy than I've been exposed to before. Now I've just began reading A Deeper Sleep by Dana Stabenow, the 15th book in the Kate Shugak Mysteries series.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-25-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: finish post
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #14954
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Snake Skin by CJ Lyons
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #14955
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "Assignment in Eternity", a Baen collection of four rather long Heinlein early short stories (they'd probably be called "novelettes", or some such silly word today). The stories are "Gulf", "Elsewhen", "Lost Legacy", and "Jerry Was a Man".

Very enjoyable. Recommended.