Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Question How is an eBook made??

First, I didn't do a lot of searching on this question (ok, any searching) so, I apologize if it's been answered over and over again ...

How do they make an eBook file? Well, I mean, if I were doing it, I would take the ... maybe "Word" file (or whatever the author wrote it in) .... and simply convert it to the necessary format.

However, I don't think that's what was done to most of my ePub files. It almost seems that they were scanned and converted. I base this conclusion on the fact that, in many of the books I read, there are words in the middle of the line that are split, as if they were really at the end of the line. No matter what sized font I choose, these words are always split.

Like: con clusion OR re peat

This is hugely distracting, especially when the first part of the word is a word itself!

So, this got me to wondering how the original file was converted to ePub.

Now, I realize there are old, out of print books that are, indeed, scanned and run through OCR. (sometimes the OCR is horrible ... spacial characters and numbers and such).

Please enlighten me!

Susie
Olathe KS
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It depends on the book.

Like you noticed, the better books are made directly from digital files. Someone who knows what they're doing will assemble a set of HTML files with properly proofread text and formatting and layout (table of contents, footnotes, images and such) and carefully turn it into an ePub or convert it to a Mobi. A few typos may slip through, but overall the job is well done.

Other books, some lazy person just takes an OCR file from a scanned book and slaps it up into an ePub or Mobi, not really bothering to actually read and check for typos or punctuation in the wrong place. Sometimes for bonus amusement, they'll run a search-and-replace for certain words, which can yield unexpected results if the words they replace aren't actually misspelt and they've replaced them with completely different words. Then they wait for reader complaints to roll in, which is apparently when they bother to start fixing things, if at all.

The third approach is taking a Word document and running it through Smashwords' very aptly named "Meatgrinder" to auto-generate the resulting e-book files which are sometimes passed on to Amazon, B&N, Sony, & Kobo via the Smashwords Premium distribution system. Errors are generally not the author/publisher's fault; they did the best they could with what they were given.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
Like: con clusion OR re peat
That happens a lot when you convert from PDF to epub. What book is it?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Regrettably, whatever method is used, publishers too often seem to be sacrificing quality for speed/economy. Hence the prevalence of typos and glaring errors of formatting. I can (just) accept that errors such as "con clusion" are not of cosmic proportions. I think it's inexcusable to find an entire sentence run together with no spaces between the words, every chapter. (Penguin history of modern China).

I have heard that publishers quite often entrust the ebook creation to a third-party - a digital printer, if you like. I've seen some lamentable results, usually in connection with the correct display of accented letters. Maybe these were just early steps on the learning curve?
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote