Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #556
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
as does Barnes & Nobel with the Nook.

BOb
Can they? Again the DRM is different in BN in that it does not require authorization from BN.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #557
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
If they have the ability to send something to the device, then they can write a program to delete from the device. DRM has nothing to do with it.

The only way to keep it from happening on any device is to never connect it to a network.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #558
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Can they? Again the DRM is different in BN in that it does not require authorization from BN.
Although we are talking about ebooks, you need to review your knowledge about wireless (via 3g or wifi) connections to the internet and to internet stores. It has nothing to do with drm.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #559
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Although we are talking about ebooks, you need to review your knowledge about wireless (via 3g or wifi) connections to the internet and to internet stores. It has nothing to do with drm.
True. I don't have either, but if I had either one, I would back up the files off of the Nook/Kindle ASAP.

Now, the Nook file, I can read on my Jetbook, without ever connecting it to the net. Can't do that with Kindle.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #560
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
True. I don't have either, but if I had either one, I would back up the files off of the Nook/Kindle ASAP.

Now, the Nook file, I can read on my Jetbook, without ever connecting it to the net. Can't do that with Kindle.
Actually you can select "Transfer via Computer" from Amazon, then transfer the book to your kindle using USB without ever turning on the wireless. It has been a common practice for users in non-supported countries for a long time where they have no 3G access.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #561
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Actually you can select "Transfer via Computer" from Amazon, then transfer the book to your kindle using USB without ever turning on the wireless. It has been a common practice for users in non-supported countries for a long time where they have no 3G access.
But I can't read it on my JBL. At least not without (theoretically) removing the DRM.

I can read any Nook book directly. And any Adept epub or pdf if I use ADE to transfer it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #562
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm a bit late to the show here, but I did manage to get in a pre-order right after the announcement. I'm definitely looking forward to receiving it.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #563
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
For those wondering(I was), You can return your kindle if you bought within 30 days of the announcement without the original box etc as long as you have any and all accessories for it. I called and verified

Shipping mine back tomorrow, will be getting my Kindle 3 as part of the first shipment, Woo. (Verified that too)
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #564
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Just preordered the graphite wifi-only Kindle. I'm so excited, it's my first ebook reader - I've been wanting one for years!

Thanks to Amazon for making it cheap and convenient.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #565
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The date on the UK ordering page has now moved to September 10. It seems odd to me that 2 days makes that much difference (it was September 8 for some time). Maybe they manufacture them really fast - or in bursts.

It would be very interesting to find out how many were being ordered - but I suspect that Amazon won't say until/unless the number is very very large.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #566
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Amazon doesn't release sales figures other than "millions," so they probably won't say at all.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #567
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've noticed that the first extended date was 8 days later on Sep4, then 4 days later on Sep8, now 2 days later on Sep10. Obviously, they can meet an infinite demand before the end of Sep12 - which is reassuring.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote