Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Afraima
Afraima began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Question Folder problem

Hi,

I've recently bought the Gen3 ereader and until now never had a problem with it. Yesterday, I connected the device to the computer to transfer a couple of new ebooks, and it started giving me problems.

Right now, every time I connect it to the PC, it says there is a problem with the device. I can choose whether to correct the problem or to ignore it, either way, the entire Cybook can be viewed and changed accordingly on the PC. But, when disconnected, I find 2 folders on the Cybook that do not appear when viewing on the computer. When I try to delete those 2 folders, the Cybook either freezes for some time or does nothing in particular. There is no SD card in the Cybook either that could cause problems.

I've been playing with the idea to connect the Cybook to the computer and format the device entirely as to start from scratch, but am wary as I don't know whether it would work again afterwards.

What should I do and how should I do it ?
Help is much appreciated as I'm starting to enjoy this little machine.

Have a nice day.
Afraima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead afaima.

Someone more knowledgeable will be chiming in soon with help.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
What are these folders called?
I suspect they are created by the automatic restore procedure which windows runs through, when it says a problem would be detected.
(make your PC display hidden items, since these folders will be hidden.)
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Afraima

Thank you desertgrandma, I've been lurking on the forum, until running into problems. Found a great deal of information here which has helped me make some decisions in the past. Figured this was the best place to come for help.

Hi T_Frain_K,

I've got hidden files up on the board, system folder and such is listed, but these two folders remain hidden :
- Found.000
- Recycled

Maybe I should mention I have Windows 7 on my computer, yet until now, didn't have any poblems whatsoever with both devices. I can see however that the Cybook is FAT32 hard drive with 971MB capacity and 510MB is used (???). This last bit has me thinking those 2 unwanted folders have a lot of MB power in them as I have no books on the Cybook.

Just tried to delete those 2 folders again, to no avail.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraima View Post
Thank you desertgrandma, I've been lurking on the forum, until running into problems. Found a great deal of information here which has helped me make some decisions in the past. Figured this was the best place to come for help.

Hi T_Frain_K,

I've got hidden files up on the board, system folder and such is listed, but these two folders remain hidden :
- Found.000
- Recycled

Maybe I should mention I have Windows 7 on my computer, yet until now, didn't have any poblems whatsoever with both devices. I can see however that the Cybook is FAT32 hard drive with 971MB capacity and 510MB is used (???). This last bit has me thinking those 2 unwanted folders have a lot of MB power in them as I have no books on the Cybook.

Just tried to delete those 2 folders again, to no avail.
These 2 are from the system.
The folders you need to use are under the eBooks one, and its correlated ones, Fonts, Music, and Pictures.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

One habit of Windows is to create the recycled folder, mark it as system folder and prevent you from deleting it. Should not be a problem though, as this folder does not use any space. (Unless something went wrong)

The FOUND.000 folder however, is the result of the automated scandisk (mentioned before). There it creates files, which will contain data junk of possibly defective areas of the storage card / hard disk.
Unless you have lost any significant data due to a problem with the file system, and you have every file you need in place or backed up, you can savely delete this folder and its content, you will not need them anymore. I hope I explained that understandable
Old 12-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Afraima

Thank you for your quick help. I'm trying to delete the found.000 folder as I write this. It seems to have great difficulties with it (extremely slow), the same as when I try to access it through the device. The recycled folder is easily accessible through the Cybook and doesn't seem to cause any major fallouts, is also totally empty.

What if the Cybook can't delete the found.000 folder ?
(Hope it can, but just in case the thing decides to bite my butt)
Old 12-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
T_Frain_K
Booyah!

I sincerely hope you do the deletion out of windows and not of the CyBook?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Afraima

The folder found.000 is not shown in windows, only on the Cybook itself and option "show hidden files" is activated in Windows.
The Cybook can't delete the folder, it tries for a couple of minuted, then goes jst shows it again.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
T_Frain_K
Booyah!

There´s another option in windows, which says "Hide critical system files" or the like (my Windows is german) - uncheck that.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as though you have a corrupt file system. Make sure that you ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before unplugging the USB cable.

I'd recommend that you use Windows Explorer to copy your books off the Gen3 (just copy the "eBooks" folder), then reformat the CyBook's disk (again using Windows Explorer), and copy the "eBooks" folder back again. This will do no harm to the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Afraima

That last hint made them visible. It is now deleting the folder found.000 .
Also can see another one now : found.001 . I'll get rid of both, which will take a while. Right now saying approx 35 minutes.
I'll let you all know if it succeeds without another hickup.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
T_Frain_K
Booyah!

Harry, we´re trying to gently push things forward, while you suggest we use the battering ram
However, Harry´s way will work, too. But since the FOUND.000 folder has already been created, the problem with the file system should be corrected by now. Plus, you should see that specific folder in Windows anyway. Just delete it.

As for the future, I strongly recommend to keep Harrys advice in mind. Careless unplugging has left me with the same problem you experience now once, plus two times when I had to reformat the whole thing because nothing has worked anymore. (And that was not just for a couple of books )
Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Afraima

Hi HarryT,
The Cybook works fine, but in case something went wrong, I took all the ebooks off of it this afternoon, before starting to fool around with it. Also, I have the shortcut to the safely remove hardware on my desktop. Once had an external drive totally crash, so learned to use that tool the hard way .

IF I format the Cybook using Explorer, do I need to backup thet system folder or will Cybook regenerate a system folder when restarting the device ?

At this moment, Windows is deleting the first unwanted folder. It is pretty big and has numbered FILE*.CHK files in it.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Afraima

Fantastic, it has worked. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate the time you've spent on my annoying problem.

Have a nice day and enjoy New Years Eve.