Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus is the latest ebook reader app for the iPhone/iPod touch. $9.99 at the App Store.

Find out more at http://th.ingsmadeoutofotherthin.gs/eucalyptus/
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido View Post
Eucalyptus is the latest ebook reader app for the iPhone/iPod touch. $9.99 at the App Store.

Find out more at http://th.ingsmadeoutofotherthin.gs/eucalyptus/
So let me get this right.

They expect us to pay for an app that only allows you to read books from project Gothenburg and none of your own. Pray tell me why this is better than stanza, ereader or any of the other free reader apps for the iphone which can also read all the project Gothenburg books and your own?

Just curious
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
People even pay for apps that only fart... I can do this for free...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post

They expect us to pay for an app that only allows you to read books from project Gothenburg and none of your own. Pray tell me why this is better than stanza, ereader or any of the other free reader apps for the iphone which can also read all the project Gothenburg books and your own?

Just curious
Stanza has probs with Project Gutenberg. It really has. The Gutenberg online catalogue hasn't been updated ever since I have Stanza.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post

Just curious
Okay, I'll give you my reasons for thinking that Eucalyptus is worth buying, even at the relatively stiff price of ten bucks, and despite the "limitation" of Project Gutenberg's library.

First, you have to be someone who reads books that are out of copyright - the classics, like Dickens & Austen, of course, but also more modern books, generally pre-WWII. If that's not your bag, don't get this App.

But if you are into the older books, this App has an ease of use factor that is astonishing. For instance, I am a big fan of Samuel Johnson, and there are a whole lot of his books on Project Gutenberg. It took me less than 30 seconds to pop up every book on PG written by the Doctor.

Each book has a card associated with it, similar to the old paper card catalog cards that libraries used to have. Tap the book, get the card. The card contains whatever info PG has about the book. On the card is a download button. I now tap the download button...less than three minutes later, I have the book ready to read: Johnson's Rambler Essays, vol. 2. And it's a fat book - over 2000 "pages" as compared to Treasure Island, which has 870. I tap the book icon at the bottom of the page, and go to the book itself. As the App is processing the pages I can start reading.

All the books download are stored in a directory that is pretty much identical to the contacts list on the iPhone. It scrolls at the flick of your thumb.

Reading a book is simple - flick your thumb on the page. The font can be resized using a pinch motion. If the book has a contents page, it can be brought up via an icon.

In essence, this App functions like a Kindle App for Project Gutenberg. Yes, you can get the same books via Stanza - but you have to download to your computer, transfer to Stanza, convert to ePub, connect your iPhone (or Touch) to your wireless network, &c &c. Meanwhile, Eucalyptus connects anytime, anywhere, and you have your book in a couple of minutes.

Right now, Stanza has more bells & whistles - choice of fonts, and a better page turn facsimile. I expect Eucalyptus to improve - additional fonts, sepia options - all the usual.

From my using both Stanza & Eucalyptus for PG books, and from reading comments from other users, it seems pretty clear that in many instances, Stanza does not format the books as well as Eucalyptus - and further, that Eucalyptus routinely formats the books beautifully.

There are 28,000 books on PG. If you read ten of them, it's a buck a book. But as I said, you have to like reading older books. Maybe someone at B&N will recognize the opportunity to grab this eReader to use as a base for their own eReader, but short of that, Eucalyptus will probably stick to being the best and easiest to use PG eReader on the iPhone.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
In essence, this App functions like a Kindle App for Project Gutenberg.
Eucalyptus sounds like a nice app. However, manybooks.net can do something similar with eReader and Stanze, see Help: iPhone or iPod Touch.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Eucalyptus sounds like a nice app. However, manybooks.net can do something similar with eReader and Stanze, see Help: iPhone or iPod Touch.
Manybooks is systematically creating books with no working Toc. That is REALLY aggravating!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Each book has a card associated with it, similar to the old paper card catalog cards that libraries used to have. Tap the book, get the card. The card contains whatever info PG has about the book. On the card is a download button. I now tap the download button...less than three minutes later, I have the book ready to read: Johnson's Rambler Essays, vol. 2. And it's a fat book - over 2000 "pages" as compared to Treasure Island, which has 870. I tap the book icon at the bottom of the page, and go to the book itself. As the App is processing the pages I can start reading.
How good a job does it do? Eg, Boswell's "Life of Johnson" has literally thousands of endnotes. Do these appear properly "linked" to the text - can you read an endnote and then return to your point in the text?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How good a job does it do? Eg, Boswell's "Life of Johnson" has literally thousands of endnotes. Do these appear properly "linked" to the text - can you read an endnote and then return to your point in the text?
I see nothing to make me think that there's any way to do that.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I did a search on Anthony Trollope on ManyBooks and Eucalyptus. They came up with the same books. The formatting on E was superior to the MB formatting - mainly the line spacing, plus the ability to change font size and reflow the text in E. Plus E stores the book on the iPhone so you can read it when you don't have reception. I like the paging on E better than the scrolling on MB. OTOH, MB does landscape view, while E does not, for the present. And the price is right!