Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
VoxT3R
VoxT3R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 US version
Firmware 3.2.1 on Kindle 2 (US only version)

Hello.

I have a Kindle 2 (US only version). Due to the kindle 2 having no wifi and being a us only device, I had no way of registering the unit to open up the collections option etc.

I was originally on firmware version 2.5.8, and used the fake registration method after jailbreaking the unit and used the files for the k2 in the update_reginfo_v0.1 file. This 'registered' the kindle and all was ok.

I have now used Yifan Lu's method to extract files from my friends kindle 3 and managed to install firmware 3.2.1 on the kindle 2.

After this process, the kindle is now deregistered again. I have tried different variations of the update_reginfo files (k2, k2w etc) but I'm not having any luck in reg hacking the Kindle 2 now that its running firmware 3.2.1

Could anyone help me register this unit as i did before I updated to 3.2.1?

Thanks in advance everyone.

VoxT3R.
VoxT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
VoxT3R

Anyone?
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxT3R View Post
Hello.

I have a Kindle 2 (US only version). Due to the kindle 2 having no wifi and being a us only device, I had no way of registering the unit to open up the collections option etc.

I was originally on firmware version 2.5.8, and used the fake registration method after jailbreaking the unit and used the files for the k2 in the update_reginfo_v0.1 file. This 'registered' the kindle and all was ok.

I have now used Yifan Lu's method to extract files from my friends kindle 3 and managed to install firmware 3.2.1 on the kindle 2.

After this process, the kindle is now deregistered again. I have tried different variations of the update_reginfo files (k2, k2w etc) but I'm not having any luck in reg hacking the Kindle 2 now that its running firmware 3.2.1

VoxT3R.
i've registered mine on my computer by logging into my amazon account. it's a link called manage my kindle (under digital content) on your main account page.

hope this helps
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
VoxT3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i've registered mine on my computer by logging into my amazon account. it's a link called manage my kindle (under digital content) on your main account page.

hope this helps
Hi alansplace,

Thanks for the input. I have already registered the kindle via the amazon website. My problem is that some of the settings on the kindle are not accessible until I register on the actual kindle itself. The collections and time settings are currently hidden.

Does anyone have a solution?

Again, thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool oops!

Quote:
Hi alansplace,

Thanks for the input. I have already registered the kindle via the amazon website. My problem is that some of the settings on the kindle are not accessible until I register on the actual kindle itself. The collections and time settings are currently hidden.

Does anyone have a solution?

Again, thanks in advance.
i didn't know that, sorry
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
VoxT3R

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fake register my kindle 2 US on firmware 3.2.1?

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
VoxT3R

Bump
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
VoxT3R

Quote:
Hello.

VoxT3R.
Seriously... noone has any idea how to do this?
Old 12-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is there some way to install networking over the USB port, and thereby register the device at the Amazon web site in the 'normal' manner?

I have a vague memory of reading about USB networking and Kindles.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
krio123
krio123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This answer is a little bit late, but maybe someone is still playing around with the K2:

I had the same problem as the threadstarter. After upgrading to 3.2.1 I could not register my kindle. To bad I didn't saved a copy of "/var/local/java/prefs/reginfo" before upgrading :-(

I found no way to get Internet access for registration with USB-networking (usbQa is not supported anymore in 3.2.1), and I also could not find the files for the "registration hacks"..

After all this stuff which did not work, here comes the simple solution: I simply copied the reginfo file from a working K3 to my K2. Of course USB-networking ist necessary for this. Quite likely you don't even need a valid "reginfo". It might be enough to fill out some fields in it (this is described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=17).

Good luck!
krio123 is offline   Reply With Quote