Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
xev7
xev7 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon 516
Really?

As in you tried it and did not like it...or could not get it to work?

I find the German one fantastic, it works faster, the battery seems to last longer, it reads epub, and does reflow of pdfs.

if you don't know how to update...there are four files you need to put in the root directory of your sd card, then go to software update in the settings, make sure you are plugged in, the system will read it, then a few minutes later ask if you want to update....

a cinch...i couldn't be happier with this product, it suits me...

good luck!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #17
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
The German firmware gave the same results as the rapidshare firmware - the LED turns on when booted, but the screen remains blank.

As I said, I've got OI 0.2 working and am now very happy with it. The standard OI installation didn't work though; I had to download a newer version of USBboot.

The OI problem was almost certainly due to bad flash blocks on my device. It definitely looked like the newer USBboot was better able to handle the bad blocks. (See the link in my previous post for the gory details). Flash being what it is, bad block handling is pretty important :-).

Perhaps the official firmwares handle bad blocks differently, and so require a different strategy when re-flashing.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
I have found two other versions of firmware for the N516

http://translate.google.de/translate...rt&sl=es&tl=en

This is the spanish distributor of the hanvon 516 lookalike "Woxter scriba 150"

as you can see in the OI hardware list, it is the same hardware as the N516.

there are two more updated firmware 1st is 2.9.2.2 the second is a complete different release 2.5.3.2

anyone tried it? I am on the 2.8.2.2 german version but I had to do 3 resets during reading up to now in my first week as a proud N516 owner...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Shuntya
Shuntya began at the beginning.

Device: N510
I have just bought 3 Chinese N510, and I installed OI in one of them. I would like to try and dump the firmware of one of the others and see if it's possible to undo the process.

I saw dottedmag mentioning FW dump is a great tool (but isn't FW dump a generic name for "firmware dump"?) and it seems sourcejedi (may The Force be with him) was able to successfully dump his filesystem (meaning, his device's firmware?) but I can't find where (if) he documented it on the wiki...

hm.... help?

Last edited by Shuntya; 04-24-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #20
xev7
xev7 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon 516
OI dump

I went to OI, and back again successfully, and actually screwed up in the process, feared I bricked my reader, and still was able to get back. However it has been months since this occurred, my memory of what I did has mostly faded as I am happy with my Hanvon the way it is, (German firmware).

On another note, my battery does last 7000+ pages.... (battery drain, I believe was a complaint about OI)

good luck!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
Shuntya
Shuntya began at the beginning.

Device: N510
Its ok, in the end I'm staying with OI. I don't like the fact that it doesn't support .doc or .odt (I have lots of documents in those formats) and neither like the PDF reader, but... once converted, the books are much nicer to read in OI. And it's faster, more stable (about 2-3 reboots every day with the original firmware, not even one since I installed OI), and I don't need to turn it off and on every time, which is great.

I hope the project will keep growing until it becomes gigantic, with many people helping make it awesome. More awesome, I mean :-)
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuntya View Post
hm.... help?
I was able to get a very convincing copy of the entire flash storage. But it didn't work when I re-flashed it.

It might be the same problem with bad flash blocks that stops me from flashing stock OI v0.2. (v0.3-rc suceeds, and I can then downgrade to the stable version using the "upgrade" mechanism). But it doesn't make any sense when I try to work out what could cause it to fail.

If someone has an N516 successfuly re-flashed with Hanvon firmware off the internet (or they don't mind the risk of being stuck with OI), I'd be happy to dig out my scripts and send them for testing. But I wouldn't consider them trustworthy until someone finds a fix for my device (or at least a test that can be run in advance to detect whatever it is that stops my device being flashed sucessfuly).
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #23
ASnoopyDOG
ASnoopyDOG began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516 - patched with Scriba V.2.5.3.2 Firmware
Thumbs up

(SOLVED!)

Il recovered my device N516 as described in http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/N5...iginalFirmware.

Regards,
ASD

Last edited by ASnoopyDOG; 05-16-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Solved