Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #61
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What "prick" are you referring to? It seems clear that the GPL licence under which the software was developed is incompatible with the AppStore's terms of service. The FSF have acted entirely properly in notifying Apple of this.
It wasn't the FSF that acted. It was Denis-Courmont.

For god sake, the app was free! It didn't really matter if you couldn't distribute it to others directly. Anyone could download it at their leisure. This was only ever an issue for those who insist on taking the wordings of these licenses so literally. Even his fellow VideoLAN developers disagreed with him.

Last edited by Dylrob; 08-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #62
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
It wasn't the FSF that acted. It was Denis-Courmont.

For god sake, the app was free! It didn't really matter if you couldn't distribute it to others directly. Anyone could download it at their leisure. This was only ever an issue for those who insist on taking the wordings of these licenses so literally. Even his fellow VideoLAN developers disagreed with him.
That's kinda the point of the GPL, though. It's more than just being free-as-in-beer. The Apple Store's ToS conflicts with the GPL, which means that you can't put GPL software in the store. If developers wanted to turn a blind eye to that, then they shouldn't have licensed under the GPL in the first place.

The Apple Store is not incompatible with "Open Source Software" licenses like MIT, BSD, X, Apache, etc. It is incompatible with the "Free Software" GPL, though.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #63
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
To get a bit back on track - I've found MegaReader to be an acceptable replacement for Stanza. While it's not yet as customizable and versatile as Stanza is, it already features OPDS catalogue integration which "feels" faster (with Calibre's server in the backend) than Stanza's.
The reading interface is plain and nice, IMHO, and works well. No fluffy book-like stuff (as in iBooks) but just text like in Stanza. The famous "swipe-to-control-brightness" is not implemented either, though.
The only other slight downside is that it's not free (as in beer, this time :-) ).
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #64
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
I was looking at the Bluefire reader, but MegaReader looks promising as well. I don't mine spending $1.99 for a good ereader.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #65
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
After trying them both out, I think I like the free Bluefire reader better. It allows you to use publisher formatting (or not) which looks much better.

It doesn't have OPDS catalog integration, but I can see my catalog in Safari, download the epub and open it directly in Bluefire reader.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #66
dmxwyrw
dmxwyrw began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This is a drive by post but i2reader is pretty good. It has been updated each time a new ios version has dropped. It works with calibre and opds. It has more color themes and customizing features than stanza. Though its not as slick as stanza, I still find it to be one of the best.
dmxwyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Tap the page once and the onscreen controls, TOC, library link, and page gauge all disappear.
But one thing you cannot get rid in iBooks of is the forced excessively wide margins. And given that iBooks also runs on a small iPhone screen, that is just silly (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But one thing you cannot get rid in iBooks of is the forced excessively wide margins. And given that iBooks also runs on a small iPhone screen, that is just silly (IMHO).
+1. iBooks looks a lot better on the iPad's 9.7" display than on the iPhone's 3.5" one.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
+1. iBooks looks a lot better on the iPad's 9.7" display than on the iPhone's 3.5" one.
Yes, it does. But still even on the iPad screen, the margins are ridiculous. Even worse though are the margins on the Kindle app. Slightly larger.

Why have such big forced margins? Sure, it's tolerable (barely) on the iPad, but on the iPhone, it's not useful at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #70
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it does. But still even on the iPad screen, the margins are ridiculous. Even worse though are the margins on the Kindle app. Slightly larger.

Why have such big forced margins? Sure, it's tolerable (barely) on the iPad, but on the iPhone, it's not useful at all.
Meh, I don't use iBooks, anyway. The page flip animation sucks. Granted, I don't read novels on my iPad. It's just way too big and heavy to hold comfortably. I prefer reading on my PRS-350 or iPhone/iPod Touch. Sometimes, I read on the LG Thrive (Mantano Reader for Android is really nice) but the screen on that is a major downgrade from the iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4G retina display.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #71
jgoulden
Lurker Extraordinaire
jgoulden began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxwyrw View Post
This is a drive by post but i2reader is pretty good. It has been updated each time a new ios version has dropped. It works with calibre and opds. It has more color themes and customizing features than stanza. Though its not as slick as stanza, I still find it to be one of the best.
I'll second this. I've been through and tried just about every ebook reader in the App Store (free and paid), and keep coming back to i2reader. As for features it seems to have all of the bases covered: multiple viewing modes (i.e. night mode, daytime, etc) plus user created modes, supports Calibre in both web mode and OPDS, custom dictionaries, wide book format support, custom tap zones, brightness support, etc.

I've come across a few bugs, but nothing major. The biggest issue that comes to mind right now is the horrid method they use for customizing the display modes. It's uncanny how they don't realize how broke it is in use. Don't get me wrong - it works, but it's next to impossible to reproduce your efforts from one setting to the next (all sliders, no fixed/variable numerical values).

I have a huge wish list of tweaks and such that I'd like to see, but the developers aren't what I would call "responsive". In fact, from what I've dug up, I believe it's written by a third party, and marketed to the App Store by a software house that mostly does Mac apps (Unsanity.com).

Aside from the price, I've never quite understood why it doesn't get more coverage/love here.
jgoulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #72
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
i2reader might be nice but:
- There's no way to turn off its absolutely grotesquely horrible localisation.
- The authentication dialogue for my Calibre server keeps popping up even though I already authenticated seconds ago.
- Credentials aren't saved, thus, I have to type in my >20 chars password all the time.
- The price (EUR 3,99 at the time of writing) is indeed too high.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #73
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
The feature i would miss most in Stanza is the Black pdf background(inverted) in night mode.
for eg., goodreader allows the screen brightness to be dimmed. the background is still white.

Does anyone know if this feature is available in other readers?
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #74
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I've been using Blio on my iPhone - it's based on Eucalyptus, but allows you to read books from other sources than Gutenberg, and in other languages than English (Eucalyptus is beautiful but very restrictive). You can set the background colour to black, white or neutral. I think there's an associated bookstore, but I've never used it, I just put my epub files in Dropbox and use Open In…
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #75
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
The feature I love most in Stanza is the book info/description. I usually upload lots of books in my stanza but read them later so when the time comes to read them, I like to read the book description.

Are there any other ebook readers with this function? So far I've tried ubooks, bluefire, and megareader but they really can't compare to stanza. Even uploading books from them takes time!
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza