Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The name of the gadget, which I cannot reveal and may have changed anyhow, is freaking terrible. I hope they change it before it ships.
LOL, I wonder what the name is.

It's interesting. It'll be nice to find out specifics, like format support.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I do like the touch screen on the bottom. Seems like it would be useful.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and why is that?
I love Gadgets!

and currently all other readers are the same as the sony except not as good!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Secret name of reader must be something international like: The Shiitake

Maybe this device will only cost $100 by using the LCD for banner ads. Nothing like commercials while reading, especially if it's related to the text on the page.

Checking the original FCC image, the device in the new photos is longer, so maybe it is yet *another* device...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
The first screen is an 6-inch e-ink display with an 800x600 pixel resolution. That's standard for e-books, with this screen having similar refresh and contrast as the second generation Kindle's. The second display, however, is as wide as the e-ink display but is a multitouch LCD that is meant to be used as the sole interface for browsing swiftly through colored book covers (like Apple's coverflow, but books instead of of Album art) and buying "rather than forcing eink do things it was not made for." It is 480x144 pixels in size and has a resolution of 150dpi.
For me the touchscreen at the bottom is the most exciting part of this tidbit. It's really hard to flip through pages on an ebook device given the inherent limitations of eInk refreshes, and a coverflow-like preview of pages that I can scroll through at the speed of a regular LCD screen would be a major improvement in the reading experience. The BN reader might only allow flipping through book covers as opposed to book pages, but it's a start!
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
It strikes me, that this thing could take the odd phone call or two (not that I am sure that would be a good thing). I wonder about a web browser?
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
It definitely is an interesting approach with the two screens...and it opens up so many possibilities. I agree with the other poster that mentioned that here is a reader that makes me think I might be able to switch from my Sony readers.

One thing I don't like about most other readers is that they are plastic. I actually do like the feel of the Kindle 2, but other plastic readers have not felt as good to me, nor do they look as good. This one does. And other readers don't have anything that my Sony doesn't have that I care about. But the dual screen is definitely intriguing
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's rather ingenious. I didn't think Barnes and Noble could pull this off well.. (given their high priced online and brick and mortar stores) but that's a sleek device. The LCD is particularly brilliant - browsing, searching, etc.. all these are agonizingly slow on the Kindle (annotations having a level of their own in Dante's Inferno).

I'd be sorely tempted but all those books on my Kindle weren't binding me to it. Stupid DRM. But then again.. that's why they have it! It traps you!

Still, given the books I aren't available elsewhere there's not much to do about it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Secret name of reader must be something international like: The Shiitake

Nah, something like "Hussain"

or maybe Weeder - World Reader ... drop a few letters..
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I like the two screen idea also.

I wonder if they will be available on the 20th after B&N has their press conference.

Nothing like a hands on test!
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #26
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
It definitely is an interesting approach with the two screens..
Intersting indead.
I wonder if it will be availible outside US.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #27
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
It's a sensible design. You can also have a truly responsive menu, keyboard and other functions and read on an e-ink screen. And since the lower screen will be off while reading, you're not going to have major battery issues.

Yes, there will be comprimises because of the dual-screen design, but I like the concept, very much. The problem is, as Eowyn notes, avaliability.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 10-14-2009 at 04:00 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #28
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
This is one of the most innovated reader so far. They are thinking outside of the box. I'm looking forward to finally updating my PRS-505 with the PRS-900 but this will definitely go in list of options. I'll wait to learn more!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #29
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Nah, something like "Hussain"

or maybe Weeder - World Reader ... drop a few letters..
"The Liseuse"...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
"The Liseuse"...
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote