Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Gaspode
Gaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
Hi there from New Zealand

Hi,

I like to read books and have been looking out for an e-ink reader ever since the first Sony reader was launched. I really wanted to see one before trying to get one shipped from the States but NZ has been very slow at getting these toys.

A recent article in our Newspaper suggested that the iRex Iliad can be bought through Dymocks Australia and they are expecting something in New Zealand in the next month or so. A bit of digging to find more about this reader eventually led me to this forum.

My main concerns are that the reviews of the Iliad suggest that the software on the device is a bit clunky and also that from looking on the Dymocks site there don't seem to be that many titles released in digital reader format. Also the reader is pretty expensive. If I buy one of these things, I want to get rid of my book collection and free up some shelf space but currently this looks almost impossible.

Looking forward to any advice I can get from this forum.

Cheers,

Dave.
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Hi Gaspode,

I'm in Australia. There are a few of us here who are a bit wary of Dymocks. I was talking to someone last month who told me Dymocks have lost money over their ebook experiment.
I tried to buy 2 books through their site. They got the money - I didn't get the books. But you can buy from Fictionwise, Books On Board and Diesel.
I bought my Hanlin from DA Direct a firm in Melbourne. They also sell Iliads and the Cybook. But I don't know if they sell to New Zealand.
cbell, a member of this forum, works there so she could tell you.

This forum is a great place to learn all about digital books and readers.

Good luck in your reader quest.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Dave and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know what you finally decide on.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Dave and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know what you finally decide on.
I am living in OZ and have a Kindle. After much fiddling around have managed to get books on it - in fact I love it and it goes everywhere with me. Further, whichever device you have, there are lots of good free books on MR.

Welcome.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi Gaspode,

I'm also in New Zealand. I've a sony prs-505 with sony light cover. I got it six month ago when I was in the USA for a few days. I didn't use use it that mush; so like new. I want to sell it now not because I don't like it rather I want to get a different device (not sure though yet which one). Now I read kindle books on my ipodtouch. If you want to get it PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
Hi,

I like to read books and have been looking out for an e-ink reader ever since the first Sony reader was launched. I really wanted to see one before trying to get one shipped from the States but NZ has been very slow at getting these toys.

Dave.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I bought my Hanlin from DA Direct a firm in Melbourne. They also sell Iliads and the Cybook. But I don't know if they sell to New Zealand.
cbell, a member of this forum, works there so she could tell you.

This forum is a great place to learn all about digital books and readers.

Good luck in your reader quest.
Thanks for the mention, Laine, and I hope you're still enjoying your new HanLin

Hi Gaspode, welcome to Mobileread. Be warned, this is an addictive forum.

DA Direct in Australia sells iLiads to Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia.

We have Cybooks, HanLins, both iLiad versions (book edition and V2) and the iRex DR1000S. We've sold several ebook readers to NZ. Please take a look at our website http://www.dadirect.com/ebookreaders. You can click at the top right link "NZ customers" to view our website with NZD pricing equivalents.

If you have any questions, please send me a PM.

Please take a look at the link below in my signature...

Last edited by cbell; 03-26-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added NZ customer info
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote