Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Why No Secure ePUB Books?

Does anyone know why books in secure ePUB format aren't showing up? BooksOnBoard seems to be the only bookstore selling them. I just assumed that the publishers would sell ePUB formatted books through any store that wanted to sell them. I always doubt conspiracies but I can't understand why these books aren't showing up elsewhere.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's just very new. Give it some time.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
skellng
skellng began at the beginning.

Device: DX, PRS-505,iPod Touch 16GB
feedbooks.com releases free books in epub format.
skellng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Standards adoption take time, and grass-roots standard adoption will take even more time (if it happens at all, there is no guarantee). Plus many publishers don't seem all that interested in ebooks at the moment as it is still very much a niche market.

I don't even see why you should mention "conspiracies".

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-06-2008 at 05:13 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How long is it since there's been a popular eBook reader able to handle secure ePub? Two weeks? If a store decides to handle it they'll need to sign contracts with Adobe, install software on their web server which integrates with their on-line store and talks to Adobe's DRM server, etc. It's not a 5 minute job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
My only question is price. Until more places start carrying epub I can actually get the lrf version cheaper.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
My only question is price. Until more places start carrying epub I can actually get the lrf version cheaper.

JJ
Secure ePub isn't really competing with the DRM-free LRF format, is it?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the case of your average fiction eBook, unless the ePub edition is that much cheaper, I'm better off getting it in MS Reader or Mobipocket, stripping the DRM and then converting to LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Secure ePub isn't really competing with the DRM-free LRF format, is it?
I was not refering to DRM Free versions, I was talking about the few titles available for sale between say Books on board in Epub and The Sony Store.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Sony Store doesn't - to the best of my knowledge - sell LRF files. They only sell DRM-protected BBeB files, which have a ".lrx" extension. "lrf" files are DRM-free.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If a store decides to handle it they'll need to sign contracts with Adobe, install software on their web server which integrates with their on-line store and talks to Adobe's DRM server, etc. It's not a 5 minute job.
Thanks Harry. I hadn't thought about having to reconfigure their servers. I was just fretting about whether WEB book shops are avoiding ePUB because it introduces a new level of competition. For example the way Amazon seems to imply that they have any ebook you might want [but only if you buy it from them]. I never meant to suggest a criminal conspiracy.

Patience. Patience. Patience...
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote