Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Suspense blurb feedback?

It's for that novel I've been posting the cover from. Saving Baby. It's suspense. Thanks!

The biggest challenge facing seventeen-year-old high school student Annie Rebarchek is getting a summer job. It’s a long shot but she interviews for a nanny position with billionaire Houston Monroe and is shocked when she gets the job—and even more shocked by what she finds.

Monroe’s baby is terribly ill. It’s yellow-ish, crying constantly. Monroe insists it’s healthy but refuses to hold it and won’t let Annie hold it either. He asserts he’s only practicing a form of ‘self-soothing’ child-rearing, but Annie thinks something more sinister might be happening. Just as she discovers there is she’s fired.

Up against Monroe’s overwhelming money, power and influence can Annie summon the courage to heed the baby’s cry?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
One word Yuck.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
It's for that novel I've been posting the cover from. Saving Baby. It's suspense. Thanks!
Sure, but never forget: you get what you pay for. I keep telling folks to join critique groups--yes, I know it hurts--but if you persist in asking here...well, ya pays your monies, you takes your chances.
Quote:
The biggest challenge facing seventeen-year-old high school student Annie Rebarchek is getting a summer job. It’s a long shot but she interviews for a nanny position with billionaire Houston Monroe and is shocked when she gets the job—and even more shocked by what she finds.
It's not dreadful, but it feels a bit "done." As in (sorry) "Lifetime Movie of the Week"-ish. I'd lose the TELLING: "...is shocked.....she finds." After all, why tell? Isn't the point of a description (which is NOT a blurb, folks), to tease, rather than tell?
Quote:
Monroe’s baby is terribly ill. It’s yellow-ish, crying constantly. Monroe insists it’s healthy but refuses to hold it and won’t let Annie hold it either. He asserts he’s only practicing a form of ‘self-soothing’ child-rearing, but Annie thinks something more sinister might be happening. Just as she discovers there is she’s fired.
Definitely kill this. Again, you're giving away pretty much the entire suspense build-up to your book, aren't ya?

What about something more in line with how the girl wonders if she's qualified,when she believes that the baby MAY be ill, and that the father's eccentricity seems to be affecting the baby as well? Wouldn't it be more realistic for a 17-y.o. to vary wildly between typically know-everything-ness of a late teen to rampaging questioning herself? Wouldn't it be more suspenseful if the protagonist HERSELF doesn't know what she doesn't know, as in, the unreliable narrator? No? yes? Maybe?

Quote:
Up against Monroe’s overwhelming money, power and influence can Annie summon the courage to heed the baby’s cry?
Yeah. See, today, you can get child services out to see pretty much anybody from Barack Obama on down, so you need to think that part through again. I mean...what's the THEME? Courage? Tenacity? Honesty? Is she going to fight for the baby? SHOULD she? Does a 17-y.o. know enough to know if the baby actually IS sick?

Just thinking out loud, here, but....I think you need to stop giving away all the plot ahead of time. Firstly, the discovery that the baby is allegedly ill should be for the reader--not the browser. You need to rework this, to add in suspense, mystery, danger--and NOT all the spoilers.

That's my $.02. We take checks, money orders and Paypal :-) We don't accept chickens or goats.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
marovada
marovada began at the beginning.

Device: Macbook Pro, Android tablet, iPhone, iPad and PC
In my opinion it's too long and has superfluous description.

Maybe this:

Against her maternal instincts, Annie Rebarchek is forbidden to hold the baby she is being paid to look after. The cold, detached billionaire father insists it’s to encourage ‘self-soothing’, but the baby's jaundice colour and constant whining leads Annie to suspect that something more sinister is at play.

Last edited by marovada; 09-30-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Tweaked
marovada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
One word Yuck.
Thanks Cinisajoy
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sure, but never forget: you get what you pay for. I keep telling folks to join critique groups--yes, I know it hurts--but if you persist in asking here...well, ya pays your monies, you takes your chances.
Ah, now, Hitch, it's the Writer's Corner. Why wouldn't I ask here?

Quote:
It's not dreadful, but it feels a bit "done." As in (sorry) "Lifetime Movie of the Week"-ish. I'd lose the TELLING: "...is shocked.....she finds." After all, why tell? Isn't the point of a description (which is NOT a blurb, folks), to tease, rather than tell?

Definitely kill this. Again, you're giving away pretty much the entire suspense build-up to your book, aren't ya?

What about something more in line with how the girl wonders if she's qualified,when she believes that the baby MAY be ill, and that the father's eccentricity seems to be affecting the baby as well? Wouldn't it be more realistic for a 17-y.o. to vary wildly between typically know-everything-ness of a late teen to rampaging questioning herself? Wouldn't it be more suspenseful if the protagonist HERSELF doesn't know what she doesn't know, as in, the unreliable narrator? No? yes? Maybe?

Yeah. See, today, you can get child services out to see pretty much anybody from Barack Obama on down, so you need to think that part through again. I mean...what's the THEME? Courage? Tenacity? Honesty? Is she going to fight for the baby? SHOULD she? Does a 17-y.o. know enough to know if the baby actually IS sick?

Just thinking out loud, here, but....I think you need to stop giving away all the plot ahead of time. Firstly, the discovery that the baby is allegedly ill should be for the reader--not the browser. You need to rework this, to add in suspense, mystery, danger--and NOT all the spoilers.

That's my $.02. We take checks, money orders and Paypal :-) We don't accept chickens or goats.

Hitch
Thanks Hitch.

I can't do the unreliable narrator (my next book does, though) because Annie is a real straight shooter. And I agree it did seem pretty flat and lacking suspense.

I'm going to post a new version.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marovada View Post

Maybe this:

Against her maternal instincts, Annie Rebarchek is forbidden to hold the baby she is being paid to look after. The cold, detached billionaire father insists it’s to encourage ‘self-soothing’, but the baby's jaundice colour and constant whining leads Annie to suspect that something more sinister is at play.
Thanks marovada. That is definitely a lot more concise. Appreciate it. I've put together a new one I'll post after this.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

new version of blurb

High-schooler Annie Rebarchek gets the chance of a lifetime.

She lands a job working as a nanny for billionaire Houston Monroe. But something’s wrong. Monroe’s baby is terribly ill and crying constantly, and Monroe won’t let Annie hold it. He’s practicing ‘self-soothing’ child rearing, he says, but Annie thinks something more sinister might be happening. Just as she discovers there is she’s fired.

Annie goes to the police and alerts the media, but Monroe has the corrupt police in his back pocket and the media intimidated. She’s done everything she can, but the baby’s cry haunts her and pushes her to make one last desperate attempt to save it—at what may be the cost of her own life.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Gregg, it seems like you're still telling the story rather than hinting at it.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by marovada View Post

Maybe this:

That would be 'jaundiced'.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post

She lands a job working as a nanny for billionaire Houston Monroe. But something’s wrong. Monroe’s baby is terribly ill and crying constantly, and Monroe won’t let Annie hold it. He’s practicing ‘self-soothing’ child rearing, he says, but Annie thinks something more sinister might be happening. Just as she discovers there is she’s fired.

Annie goes to the police and alerts the media, but Monroe has the corrupt police in his back pocket and the media intimidated. She’s done everything she can, but the baby’s cry haunts her and pushes her to make one last desperate attempt to save it—at what may be the cost of her own life.
A little better but I don't like the way this line reads.
. Just as she discovers there is she’s fired.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
At a minimum, needs a comma:

Just as she discovers there is, she’s fired.

Still don't love the line, but...if you want to use it, use the comma.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Gregg, it seems like you're still telling the story rather than hinting at it.
Thanks rgb. It's such a balancing act. Too much, too little.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. I'm wondering what will happen if I do it like this:

She lands a job working as a nanny for billionaire Houston Monroe. But something’s wrong. Monroe’s baby is terribly ill and crying constantly, and Monroe won’t let Annie hold it. He’s practicing ‘self-soothing’ child rearing, he says, but Annie thinks something more sinister might be happening.

There's a lot of suspense if I end it right there but it's still missing an ending zinger. But here's the problem: if I say something like, "Will Annie find the courage to heed the baby's cry?" people will say, 'Well, why didn't she just go to the police or the media?' (all the stuff I'm deleting.)

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 09-30-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Because I am really neurotic and couldn't make up my mind.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Okay, Cin. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
At a minimum, needs a comma:

Just as she discovers there is, she’s fired.

Still don't love the line, but...if you want to use it, use the comma.

H
If the line stays, the comma goes in. Thanks Hitch