Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
rgtrys
rgtrys began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Clumsy is my middle name!

Ok, I have an ebookwise 1150 and have dropped it LOTS - no problem, even once onto concrete from about 3 foot. I was going to buy a Kindle, but obviously this will last about 5 minutes with me.

If you have or know of a unit which is idiot proof and is droppable, please let me know. Yes, all the bells and whistles would be great, but the things I love about my baby are: read in the dark, 15 hour life, 20 minute recharge when I can still read, DROPPABLE!! I would LOVE a LONG battery life, short recharge and the ability to put LOADS of books on, but not if it's a fragile little thing.

I am starting to think I will just buy another ebookwise before they stop selling them, but hope someone here is as clumsy as me and will point me in the right direction!!

I live in Qatar, but have postal addresses in US and UK.

Thanks in advance to all those fab folks out there!!
rgtrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The jetbook is reasonably sturdy. I've dropped it nay number of times.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Perhaps you could use a silicone rubber skin to protect your new e-reader.

For example:

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-16-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added the word "new"
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Buy the e-reader you want and get yourself a good cover.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have dropped my Nook a couple times and my 1.5 year old son has thrown or dropped it a few times as well. So far so good, no scratches or damage. I bought the extended warranty just in case (always have to be careful when kids are involved!).

I would get a case if I were you. Just something to give whatever reader you choose some extra protection.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Rgtrys. Yup, a good case is the answer -- or a top drawer out of reach of the wee feller. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
rgtrys
rgtrys began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Thumbs up Thanks folks

A big thank you to all the suggestions - I will go and look at the jet book, nook and the skins thank you. Actually, dropping it 7 or 8 times over 4 years of constant use actually doesn't seem extreme in retrospect, but I am debating buying another ebookwise anyway as I never have a problem with it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
rgtrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc

http://www.youtube.com/v/n8JJLoMnu8w?fs=1&hl=en_US

Onyx Boox X series- they will literally drop it over and over again. They are almost excited to drop it .

Its available as the Bebook Club http://mybebook.com/ereaders-6-inch-...duct_info.html

Also the NextPapyrus PageOne

http://www.youtube.com/v/bUW72qirX5o?fs=1&hl=en_US

Is a 6 inch reader in a very compact 5inch like shell. Only really available in Korea. Nate didnt like it as much as I did but its an excellent reader in my view and it clearly can take a drop

http://www.pageonestore.com/Pages/Site/MainPage.aspx

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-17-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote