Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
mob81
mob81 began at the beginning.

Device: none
International Subscription FEEs?

Dear All,
I'm in Saudi Arabia and subscribed to Harvard Business Review through a VPN server and saw a note that there is a fee of almost a $5 (I think if I use 3g only) and that's why I'm asking! If I use wifi for delivery would I be charged that amount monthly beside the subscription fees? (I use it on my Kindle and iPad Kindle app)

If only by 3g, How could I disable it as I only see wifi setting on my Kindle 3g?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Mohammed
mob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
The kindle 3g prefers to use WiFi, that is the default first choice. As long as you stay in WiFi range and have WiFi networks identified and setup on your kindle, the kindle will never switch to 3g when you have WiFi turned on, unless you go out of range of the WiFi routers. That is the only thing that will force your kindle to switch and use 3g. I do not think there is a easy way to disable the 3g function.

Only turn WiFi on when you are in a hotspot.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
There might just be a fee for your subscription - most subscriptions for periodicals have that. The delivery over 3g is usually included in that fee.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
When not in the USA, if you use 3G to download subscriptions, then you will pay a fee, which is additional to the cost of the subscription itself. If you use wifi to download it, then the only fee you will pay will be the subscription.

There are no charges to use 3G outside the USA to download BOOKS, but there is to download SUBSCRIPTIONS.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
When not in the USA, if you use 3G to download subscriptions, then you will pay a fee, which is additional to the cost of the subscription itself. If you use wifi to download it, then the only fee you will pay will be the subscription.

There are no charges to use 3G outside the USA to download BOOKS, but there is to download SUBSCRIPTIONS.
Thank you for clearing that up. That makes no sense, but we are talking about Amazon here.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Actually, someone here on MR lives in Estonia and said she/he is getting charged a 2$ fee per book she buys from Amazon.com, even though she/he is also paying the astronomical sales tax in addition to it, and she/he never uses 3G to download the book. I can't for the life of me remember which thread it was... maybe somewhere in the general forum. I'll go looking for it. I guess Amazon sometimes adds a substantial surcharge. The same may apply to subscriptions.
Found it! Not sure how to quote a specific post, but here is the thread, scroll down on page 1 to yapyap's comment.

Last edited by xendula; 12-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sometimes people think there is a price difference due to Amazon but often it is due to things like taxes etc and currency exchanges.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yapyap on the other thread said that she gets the surcharge in addition to the added sales tax and everything else. It's a fixed surcharge for every book she buys.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yapyap on the other thread said that she gets the surcharge in addition to the added sales tax and everything else. It's a fixed surcharge for every book she buys.
If she's buying from Estonia maybe its something to do with publishing rights in that country which is separate from sales tax.